You got further than I did. The installation fails right off the start on my system (Win7 Ultimate 64-bit).
The log file is called PDApp.log and should be in your system TEMP folder. You can find the error message that caused the failure in there.
My error message is: [ERROR] UWANative - install updates returned statusCode:44, errorCode:7 <--- just as helpful as the installation failed message!
Also. the installer doesn't like having java.exe running. I have some system services (for my RAID management) that require this and the FM installer complains, stops and waits for these to be killed off. It won't let you just suspend the java module either.
A very user-hostile patch release, IMHO.
1 person found this helpful
I just did the patch and seems to have installed sucessfully. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with 12 GB RAM and an Intel processor. One thing I discovered with the beta; I couldn't install from a drive other than the C: drive. I don't know if this is an issue for either one of you, but I thought I would mention it.
It didn't offer to install ExtendScript Toolkit, but this may be because I recently installed CS 5.5, which installs ExtendScript Toolkit CS5.5. I had to put the FrameMaker 10 OMV.xml in a C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Scripting Dictionaries CS5.5\FrameMaker folder in order for it to show up in the Object Model Viewer.
Thanks for the tip. Tried to run (as admin) from C:, but it still died with the same error in the log file.
FWIW, I just did the Acrobat 10.1 update (fair-sized - 106Mb) and it ran smooth as silk. No complaints about any services running java either. Nice, simple UI with good feedback on every step of the installation (including what and where was being installed). Too bad every group at Adobe sems to use a different installer/patcher. Must be hell for the support people.
FWIW, I got the patch to install.
It was tripping up on not finding the BookComponentMIFWash.dll. I had installed the fix posted through this thread:
I had renamed the old component and the patch installer couldn't find it to do the update, so it aborted the entire process with a cryptic and useless error message - installation failed.
Michael, that might be why you had an installation failure as well. The installer was loking for something in a specific location, couldn't find it and aborted. If you examine the failed FM .gz log files located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers, this provides much more detailed information about what happened during the patching process.