31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 2:57 AM by Harm Millaard

Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet

MiesW Level 1

Hey guys,

Just when I thought I got it all figured out, something new (at least to me) pops up and raises more questions than answers. So I go on and search more and more and more and now finally I think i've got my setup allmost ready to order. Could you check it and help me out on the final insecurities? Thanx a bunch.

Oh and please, if you have a suggestions to change something I feel is allready o.k (so no questions)...make it a suggestion with enough info to let me make a choice in the matter. Give me a link to a Benchmarksite or e really good test. If the difference is minimal (seconds) on about 10 min. of final footage, than please don't send me on a chase again. My girlfriend would like me to bed with her at the same time now after a week or so

and    I want to order the damn.. stuff and start. http://forums.adobe.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

Camera:               Canon XF 100, uses Canon  MPEG-2 4:2:2 50Mbps codec            

Software:             Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.53

Motherboard:       ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

Question: not to much benchmarks around on the Z68 combined with I 2700. Anyone who uses this board with the 2700 or 2700K step forward please and elaborate.

Cpu:                     intel      core I7 2600

Memory:               16 Gb    Kingston ValueRAM (2x 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1333 MHz

or

Cpu:                     intel      core I7 2600K

Memory:               16 Gb    Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 quad kit

Question:               I think I’d go for the first option. It’s cheaper and from what I’ve read there not a lot to gain. My videos mostly don’t exceed 10                               minutes of final footage. Anyone can acknowledge this (or not)?

Videocard:           MSI        N570GTX-M2D12D5/OC

Harddisk:             OCZ       Vertex 3 120GB   (sata 600) for my OS

Harddisk:             S’sung  WD Caviar Green WD20EARS x3 (sata 300)

To raid or not to raid is still not clear for me. 5 is definitely a no go

I’m thinking I’d put 2 disks in a Raid 0 for more speed and on a regular base BAckup to the other one( and eventually go for external back-up)

Is that ‘o.k. or mmh’, then fine. Is it a ‘oh no, what is he thinking’, please tell me.

Cooler:                Scythe  Mugen                 2 Rev. B

Housing:              Cooler Master  Xilencio

Powersupply:       Seasonic 620

Monitor:               Eizo       EV2333WH-BK

Optische drive:     LG          BH10LS30

Cardreader:          lexar     LEXAR PROFESSIONAL USB 3.0 DUAL-SLOT READER (for CF’s canoncamera)

Speakers              Creative              GigaWorks T20 Series II

Special :               Contour Design ShuttlePro2

Thanx guys and girls(?) for hopefully making my life easier. Greeting from Nieuwegein, Utrecht, Holland

• 1. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Get rid of the green drives they will bottleneck your system.

Are you going to overclock your system, if so you really should go with the i7-2600K processor and the faster memory.  Have you looked at the results on the Premiere Pro BenchMark ((PPBM5) web site?

You do not want an i5-2700.

• 2. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
            MiesW Level 1

Hello Bill,

thanx for answering. Could you be more specific on the WD's? Botlleneck because they're too slow? How about is I change 2 of them for the RAID 0 array into WD Black's (SATA) 1Tb and leave one green 2Tb for the backups I perform at will?

I have seen the bechmarks and the problem is there is no specifics on a regular I7-2600, so I cant'compare to a 2600K. Maybe that just says enough about wanting a faster rig.

bye

• 3. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

1) dump the useless SSD drive

2) ideally you would have 5 HDDS

OS and then 2 x 2drive raid 0 and NOT green drives they are very slow compared to the blacks.

the 2600k OCed to 4.5 or better will be a nice bit faster than the 2600 stock

so yes worth the $30 if you over clock

3) you want DDR3 1600 ram

Scott

ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                MiesW Level 1

Hi Scott,

Thanx for your advise.

I''m gonna go for the 2600K and over clock and i've ditched the greens in favour of the blacks.

What's the deal with the SSD drive?

I've been hearing and reading nothing but ooh's and aaah's from just about everyone. Sometimes they complain the disk dying, but the one that work seem to give a hope joy.

Can you explain why a HDD is better?

And do you know if Eric managed to test the Z68?

groeten,

Michel

• 5. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

SSDs have proven to do no more than give a faster boot time  oh boy..

Unless doing mostly animation.

So they are pointless, I have not seen any oohs and aahs from anyone on this forum.

Eric has not had time to test yet we have been too busy plus had a guy out with a detached retina making things worse.

Now we have sold one so it will get done finally in about 2 weeks or so, maybe sooner if he jumps on that system first.

We had had the boards here for weeks

• 6. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                    MiesW Level 1

SSDs have proven to do no more than give a faster boot time  oh boy..

Unless doing mostly animation.

So they are pointless, I have not seen any oohs and aahs from anyone on this forum.

O.k. point taken.

Eric has not had time to test yet we have been too busy plus had a guy out with a detached retina making things worse.

Jeez that sounds really bad. Again thanx for taking the time to answer my question, especially in this busy time. I really appreciate it.

Now we have sold one so it will get done finally in about 2 weeks or so, maybe sooner if he jumps on that system first.

We had had the boards here for weeks

O.k. Where do I check for updates on this?

greetz Michel

• 7. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                      SuperCrawler

MiesW,

I'm also in the process of planning my build.

Referring to the Z68.

I was made aware that nearly all the top performing systems use (large) raid arrays with dedicated controllers.

If you want the option to add a hardware controller in future time, consider the following.

I learned that “if you never need a hardware raid controller, the 2600K and its P68 platform is very nice”, but if you need a hardware raid controller, the platform “lacks the required PCI-e lanes to accomodate more than a 16 x PCI-e nVidia card with CUDA support to enable hardware MPE acceleration”, in other words, the PCIe lanes available for a slot1 installed video card drop from x16 to x8 when you add a x8 PCIe controller card. This applies to the Z68 platform too.

• 8. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

""""but if you need a hardware raid controller, the platform “lacks the required PCI-e lanes to accomodate more than a 16 x PCI-e nVidia card with CUDA support to enable hardware MPE acceleration”, in other words, the PCIe lanes available for a slot1 installed video card drop from x16 to x8 when you add a x8 PCIe controller card. This applies to the

Z68 platform too.""""

i have proven this to be false....

• 9. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                          alexdejesus Level 1

** I am tending to believe Scott on this, unless Bill or Harm can chime in and clear this up

• 10. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                            Scott Chichelli Level 3

what you need to understand is Harm and Bill have been and continue to be

invaluable assets to this community along with others

they have spent a good deal of their personal time creating compiling and publishing PPBM.

PPBM is a great tool for gleaning info on system set ups vs performance.

it is however end user submitted with widely varying configurations, setups, windows tweaks (or lack of)

how Adobe is set up etc.. vastly differing! and why you see the same processors all over the place

and i applaud the effort. its been a great help to the community.

they are also end users not system builders and do not have the resources/access we have to multiple platforms, processors ram etc.

Harm has wrote numerous articles most of which i agree with and based on his platform experiances is correct 99% of the time.

all this to say Harm and Bill are very knowledgable.

they have however made assumptions (some of the same assumptions i made) based on tech info rather than real world testing

until we actually tested it i kept quiet (well quiet for me)

and why i finally posted the big cup of zip it thread.. to clear out some mis-leading comments.

and the part of that thead you seem to miss

what makes you think you need a raid controller.... the vast majority of Adobe users do not need one or an 8 drive raid array..

Scott

ADK

• 11. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                              alexdejesus Level 1

Forgive me all for sounding frustrated (in my other thread). Just trying to get peace of mind spending good money on something described in such derogatory terms as "middle of the road" and "severely handicapped." I'm sure you understand. And yes, I'd love to buy a turnkey from you, (and I will at some point) - but then I won't learn anything. For example, I'm terrified of the idea of "overclocking" as I have no idea what that means.

I don't mean to demean anyone. I marvel at the amount of time these people contribute working on these issues for us. While I only log in when I have a problem. What I get from the PPBM5 is that all components should be evenly matched in specs and appropriate for my workload. I'm hoping I have achieved that.

I'm pretty much hoping I don't need a controller, except I don't know how to set up multiple RAIDs on a single computer. I will most likely end up with four internal drives and external drives for storage, backups, etc. Not sure how I will configure it all, but if I can do so without a controller, then I can put this whole controversy behind me.

• 12. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                able421

That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. Scott knows way more than me, so hopefully he will weigh in. I run an overclocked 2600K, and currently it sits in the top-20 on the ppbm5 benchmark. Considering that it cost less than $1600 to build (minus software), I'm happy. I'm sure others have done better. But at stock, I'm not sure how it compares. Overclocking does have a learning curve, but it's not that bad or risky if you aren't really trying to push things (upping voltages). On the other hand, I had a motherboard die recently, and despite the temps and voltages being okay, I couldn't return it since I had voided the warranty. For me, it was worth the risk.

Oh yeah, as far as what overclocking means. Chips are not created equal. Some of them are capable of running faster than how they are shipped. There are methods for making your CPU go faster. There are lots of guides and forums online that can help. You just have to consider whether your time is worth it.

• 13. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                  RjL190365 Level 4

I, too, run an overclocked i7-2600, and it currently sits in 16th position on the PPBM5 results list. I also have the fastest stock i7-2600K system on the list (220 seconds, which makes it 64th out of around 500 systems on the list).

• 14. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                    alexdejesus Level 1

@ RjL: You are Dark Horse? You are using a RAID 0 system drive. I was told to break mine up - that it was not a good idea. I have the same MoBo and going to pick up a 2600k i7. I have the GTX 570. Where else do we differ? Hard drives? Overclock?

• 15. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

Rjl is not running a raid OS. he is runninga 2TB OS drive and 2 x raid 0s

1 for media 1 for exports, the exact set up i keep telling you to do

break the OS raid (if you are not making daily or at least weekly images of this goofy OS raid you are in sever danger)

then create 2 x 2 drive raid 0s

no need for a silly raid card

Scott

ADK

• 16. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                        alexdejesus Level 1

Yeah Scott, I read the wrong line in the chart (below Dark Horse) Sorry.

• 17. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                          SuperCrawler Level 1

Scott,

Referring to your post #8.

JCschild wrote:

i have proven this to be false....

This is a big concern to some of us end users who want to put our money where it counts.

• Is there a clear benchmark varifying your actual test results, which us newbies can view?

Referring to your post #10 above.

they are also end users not system builders and do not have the resources/access we have to multiple platforms, processors ram etc.

How can we really know for sure if we go on word of mouth only, one swears by Ford, one swears by Chevy.

What should us newbies believe,

• the feedback from end users who have the real world experience of the behaviour of their systems working regularly with large or complex projects, with strict timelines under time pressure, who cannot afford jerkiness nor delay of any kind, who must afford to save a lot of aggravation caused by less responsive systems, who cannot afford to be held back by hard disk failure or loss of data that took valuable time editing, who need lesser time requirements for regular backups, etc, who know what video editing involves in real practice,

• or the feedback from system builders who have “the resources/access to multiple platforms, processors ram etc.” to run hardware tests, but who do not have the experience of high end video editing in practice?

Perhaps it is true that a video card running at PCIe-8x is not much slower than a video card running at PCIe-16x.

I don't know for sure.

• What will happen if things change, sooner than we thought, with new drivers and CS6 PP utilizing the full bandwidth, and end users are stuck with systems that don't have the required PCI-e lanes to accomodate more than a 16 x PCI-e nVidia card?

It appears to me that the i7-2600K is indeed a great processor, delivering great value for money, for the majority of general-purpose applications, but

• how does it perform when one works with large or complex projects, and multitask, such as having DW do a complete validation on multiple DHTML files, including SSE, running a resize action in PS on a couple of thousand images, encoding large files in FL and PR doing an export to a complex long form BRD?

I was very tempted, and came very close, to buying an i7-2600K for myself, but after learning just how much high-end video editing can demand from a system, I became hesitant to buy the i7-2600K with its platform. I need to be sure that the system I buy has no limitations for the work I need to do with it.

If Intel had video editing in mind when designing the i7-2600K, it would not have had integrated graphics, which is of no use when we need a nVidia card.

Regardless of the fact that according to http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x.html the i7-2600K outperformed many pricier products for a higher-end LGA1366 platform (even the $1000 i7-990X Extreme Edition yielding significantly to Core i7-2600K within the majority of general-purpose applications, except during video processing and transcoding, final rendering and a few specific tasks, such as encryption and batch image processing), Intel still positioned this processor as a mid-level processor, for a reason.

Intel knew before release what this mid-level i7-2600K was capable of, therefore releasing it positioned as a mid-level processor, they did so having the architecture to follow up with a mid-level processor that will outperform the i7-2600K, within the same price category, else who would buy Intel's next mid-level processors?

I suspect that for those who are willing to hold out and wait just a bit longer, so they can put their money where it counts, Intel has a pleasant surprise coming soon, and that the new platform will not be evolutionary like it has been for years, but revolutionary with feature improvements from Sandy Bridge like Intel's tri-gate transistor technology, PCI Express 3.0 support and Graphics DirectX 11 and OpenCL support, a bigger graphics performance and bigger CPU performance boost compared to Sandy Bridge.

what makes you think you need a raid controller.... the vast majority of Adobe users do not need one or an 8 drive raid array..

Yes, for those who never need a hardware raid controller, using it for general-purpose applications, the 2600K and its P67 or Z68 platform is nice.

The OP did not specify whether or not he will need a hardware controller, wherefore I cared to post my post #7 above,

nor did he specify his source material, editing style, the nature of his timelines and the time pressure he is under with his projects (other than a mention in his original post of his girlfriend's time request), or how long he intends to use the system before upgrading to the next one.

and why i finally posted the big cup of zip it thread.. to clear out some mis-leading comments.

Scott

ADK

Quoting from your original post in A big cup of "zip it" or the definative final P67 vs X58 answer thread :

Now in all fairless of disclosure the drive benchmarks dropped from our previous tests on X58 which is odd, we are guessing the video card as its ramping up would take bandwidth from the controller even though its supposed to be running 8x.

Scott

ADK

• Supposing the video card took bandwidth from the controller, even though its supposed to be running 8x, why do you think it would do that as it's ramping up?

• Is there a clear benchmark varifying your actual test results, which us newbies can view?

• 18. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                            Scott Chichelli Level 3

i am not wasting my time answering your post..

everything you need to know is in the thread including benchmarks

this is the 2nd thread where you had clear answers but still cant seem to read or understand.

Scott

ADK

• 19. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                              SuperCrawler Level 1

JCschild wrote:

i am not wasting my time answering your post..

everything you need to know is in the thread including benchmarks

this is the 2nd thread where you had clear answers but still cant seem to read or understand.

Scott

ADK

Thankyou for your reply.

Videoguys Blog - DIY Update: Sandy Bridge Not Recommended by Videoguys

• 20. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                RjL190365 Level 4

I take that to mean that Videoguys does not advise the use of a Sandy Bridge system. It does not mean that it should be avoided. You see, the platform is limiting compared to the LGA 1366/X58 platform. And this could cause potential issues if you have a RAID card, a very high-end GPU and a digital video I/O card that requires a PCI-e x4 or higher slot just to run at all all running in the same system. Many of the good I/O cards absolutely require an x4 or higher-bandwidth PCI-e slot to even work at all. Most of the LGA 1155 motherboards do not even have four open PCI-e lanes on the PCH to accommodate such a card at default settings - and such bandwidth cannot be freed without having to disable one or more onboard devices and/or PCI-e x1 slots.

For this reason, the older LGA 1156/P55 platform is even worse (or even more limiting) than Sandy Bridge.

• 21. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

the only reason Gary (Video Guys) posted that was due to suport issues they were having with end users and guess what Matrox

with several known issues X58 or sandy bridge

he assumed it was the platform without having even built or tested one...

kinda hard to make such an assumption without having tested it.

yeah thats the kind of info you want to link to..

smart real smart..

• 22. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                    SuperCrawler Level 1

Scott,

I still don't know what system to buy that will meet my needs.

I need a stable responsive system when working with large and complex projects, and when multitasking (such as having DW do a complete validation on multiple DHTML files, including SSE, running a resize action in PS on a couple of thousand images, encoding large files in FL and PR doing an export to a complex long form BRD).

Which system/components do you recommend I buy to meet such needs, putting my money where it counts? (I wont debate you, I will consider your recommendations).

• 23. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Supercrawler,

Scott is in business to build you the kind of system that you need and then fully support you with that system.  He would not be able to stay in business if he fully designed your system and you built it.  Scott and Eric are very valuble contributors here and we all benefit from their experience, contributions here and opinions.  He has given you all that you could ask for and yet you keep bugging him for decisions you have to make for yourself or pay him to do for you.

• 24. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                        SuperCrawler Level 1

Bill Gehrke,

In reply to:

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Supercrawler,

Scott is in business to build you the kind of system that you need and then fully support you with that system.  He would not be able to stay in business if he fully designed your system and you built it.  Scott and Eric are very valuble contributors here and we all benefit from their experience, contributions here and opinions.  He has given you all that you could ask for and yet you keep bugging him for decisions you have to make for yourself or pay him to do for you.

Thankyou for making me aware of this. I did not realize that I was bugging Scott.

I specified that I was planning to build a system. Scott nevertheless made the choice to reply to my posts.

I do not recall asking Scott to make decisions for me. I responded to his posts with questions and quotes concerning specs, hardware and links so that I could make my own decisions from the information I get. He did not have to reply if he did not want to.

I joined this forum to ask for help in Adobe related problems. I did not think that Adobe Forums was a site to promote computer sales and to answer posts conditional to purchase or payment.

Each one who responds to a post does so by his/her own will and not by force from the participants. I cannot choose who will respond to my posts. If Scott responded to my posts it was his choice to do so.

I am grateful for what I have learned from Scott.

I will not bug Scott with replies again, except with my apology to him.

• 25. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                          SuperCrawler Level 1

Scott,

I was informed in the previous post that I was bugging you.

My apologies, I did not realize that I was bugging you.

Kindly consider that there were misunderstandings, maybe because I am a few-months-old young-adult-newbie with very little experience when it comes to choosing components for an editing system. So in order for me to understand all the big terms, phrases and specs of the computer world, I have to rely on the internet and myself, in my spare time, reading, processing and trying to remember all the new information I read, until my eyes nearly pop out.

As I am an avarage guy who has to work long hours to make basic ends meet, while being a student, I want every cent that I earn to count for something worthwhile.

We all have to start at the beginning, and that is where I'm at, the beginning, and I cannot always grasp and remember everything I read concerning computer technology, because I do not have a teacher in this field - this is why I joined this forum.

I was a bit slow in realizing that you were in business to build and sell computers, just as I am slow in learning and grasping how exactly computers work, and how  the codenames, platforms, chipsets, sockets, etc. fall in place.

As I have Premier Pro and this is the hardware forum, I thought that this was the forum to ask PP hardware related questions.

When I post a post, I do not know whether ot not someone will respond to it. Nor do I know the people who reply to my posts. If someone responds to any of my posts, I view their reply as posted with the intention to help solve my problem(s).

I thought that your replies to my posts were posted with the same intention.

If your intentions were not to help solve my Adobe related questions, I will understand. Do not let my infancy concerning computer hardware knowledge waste your time.

I apologise if I caused misunderstandings. If so, it was not my intention.

I am sure you have helped many people with your contributions, including me, and now that I had a quick peep at your business, I can see there are many clients confident of your service and systems.

I wish your business the best.

• 26. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                            Scott Chichelli Level 3

no problem at all.

now to your questions (which i have answered but will again)

there are only 2 systems to buy at this point. (well 3 but Dual Xeon 4GHz is not the norm)

Sandy Bridge 2600k

X58 970/990

i wont go it to which is better i think my thoughts are very clear as are the benchmarks.

both need to be or should be over clocked

for most of the users on this forum:

typical 5 drive set up

NO SSD, NO raiding the OS Standard Sata for OS

2x 2 sets raid 0 using the onboard raid controller

no need for a raid controller.

and some form of external back up  <------- important

560-570 video card

12-16 gig ram depending on system. 24 offers little improvement on X58 but workflow dependant.

there it is in a nut shell and what i sell to 80% of my clients.

Scott

ADK

• 28. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                              MiesW Level 1

Hey Guys,

I've been away on vacation for a couple of weeks and when I came back I saw this thread continued with loads of good information.

Thanx a bunch, I just ordered my computer at http://azerty.nl/, a dutch company who will also build my machine.

I chose this set-up:

processor             Intel core I7 2600 K !!
                                                              motherboard         Asus     P8Z68-V Pro
                                                              memory                Corsair     Vengeance kit 16 GB (low profile because the Scythe)
                                                              video                    MSI     N570GTX-M2D12D5/OC (hardware acceleration in CS 5.5)
                                                              hard disc              Samsung     3 x WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1 TB (Iwhen my wallet's filled up again I'll buy 2 more)
                                                              cooler                   Scythe     Mugen 2 Rev. B
                                                              housing (?)           Cooler Master     Silencio 550
                                                              blu-ray                  LG     BH10LS30
                                                              Power                  Seasonic S12II 520
                                                              O.S.                     Windows      64 bits

with the build and 2 year guarantee this set me back € 1550,- about $ 2250,-

additionally from another shop I'm gonna buy:

LEXAR  USB 3.0 DUAL-SLOT READER for CF cards ( € 42,-  $ 60,-)
                                                              Contour Design ShuttlePro2                                        (€ 99,-    $143,-)

When I've saved some more euro's , I'l buy the Eizo EV2333WH-BK ( € 420,-   $ 607,-)

I'm don't yet know how to do performancechecks and make this data available for people to use, but I'll probably figure it out soon enough I guess,
                                                              I'll let you know when the machine has arrived and  i've started to use it.

greetings Michel

• 29. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Michel,

Do yourself a couple of favors.

Get rid of the Samsung WD disks.

Samsung     3 x WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1 TB (Iwhen my wallet's filled up again I'll buy 2 more)

Either go for the Samsung F3's or the Caviar Blacks, but do mot mix them.

Lose the

Cooler Master     Silencio 550

and get a big tower like the HAF 932.

Lose the

Seasonic S12II 520

and get a real PSU, like a CoolerMaster 850W gold labeled model.

Azerty has nice prices but they do not know about systems. They can assemble one, but with your current specs, I would advise against that. I buy from Azerty too, but do not let them tell me what to assemble.

• 30. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                                  MiesW Level 1

Thanx Harm,

The 'Samsung' is a copy-paste mistake. It's 3 WD Blacks now, 2 more WD blacks later on.

With my setup/usage the Silencio will do just fine. To tell you the truth; I don't like those big ones. Okay, good airflow, but HAF for me is just one big ugly...

It's a taste thing.

Azerty? I just bought the stuff the day before yesterday and I could stop the assembly. But I don't know any tweakers or other companies first hand, so I had to rely on the things written about the shop in Holland. And they seem o.k. especially because it's my first machine and I'm not ready to build it myself.

I couldn't find a specialst company like ADK (anyone would like to start one in Holland? plenty of people on fora like me who want to buy a machin for video-editing and who don't have enough experience themselves, but would like to pay a company who specializes). Do you recommend a company in Holland with a trackrecord and good guarantees for building video-editing pc's? I'd take my stuff directly to them.

Groeten, greets,

Michel

• 31. Re: Can you check my final setup? Two things not clear yet
                                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Michel,

Assembling a PC is the easy part. The difficult part is selecting the proper components and that is where almost all these companies like 4Launch, Azerty, Alternate, Informatique, MaxICT, Salland, etc. fall short. If you say that you want X, Y and Z, they don't question you whether that is a wise decision. They don't offer alternatives for the very simple reason that their salespeople just don't know. They know what is in stock, they know their current offers, they know the latest products, but they don't know how they interact in a video editing rig.

Example. Your 520 W PSU is really cutting it thin. Yeah, it is cheap, it is available, but in combination with your 570 video card, three WD disks, a burner, 16 GB memory, the 2600 and various other components, it is really marginal and when you experience capacitor aging, it will not be enough. Then you will be in a pile of trouble. First to identify why you have these mysterious hangs, sudden BSOD's, then - if you have identified the PSU as the culprit - you will have a less than pleasant time exchanging it in this mid tower. Look at http://tweakers.net/reviews/2134/cooler-masters-silencio-550-behuizing-getest.html

What they should have done was have a look at the power requirements for your system and told you that 520 W is not enough. Just on the components you mentioned, the minimum requirements are already slightly over 700 W and that is without additional fans, disks,  only 3 USB devices, and without overclocking and without a safety margin. That is why I suggested a 850 W gold label PSU.

That is why I maintain they sell good products at competitive prices, if YOU know what you need. Don't expect them to have a critical look at the sum total of your components. They never consider things like the choice of RAM modules and the impact on the choice of CPU cooler, they never question you about your intended use and what kind of load you put on your system. They hardly think further than the three most popular games.

I can't tell you a company that I would trust to build a machine if I were to need one, I have always built them myself. If you need further info, contact me by PM.