12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 9:58 PM by Saskatchewanobie

Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents

Saskatchewanobie Level 2

I've watched the videos, been successful in establishing a paragraph style for the headings I want to appear in a Table Of Contents, but the page numbers are placed on the next line below each entry. I'm getting nowhere with this and need to ask:

How do I get the page numbers to appear at the end of the line opposite the entry?

I'd also like to put a nice dotted line or underscore between the entry and the page number to make it easy to identify.

I'm interested in formatting as I want this to look nice too. Any tips on adding custom baseline control and maybe a bold to the page numbers would be nice to know about also.

TIA,

Ken

• 1. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you have a forced line break in the heading? Can you show us a screen capture with non-printing characters showing?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents
            Saskatchewanobie Level 2

InDesign_control_characters.png

There is one line above that has a forced line break in it and it shows as two entries. I'll go back and make it all on one line.

• 3. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents

Looks to me like you have a dash after the lieting, followed by an end nested style character, then a right-indent tab, followed by another ordinary tab. The end nested style is inconsequential, but the two tabs are what is causing the problem. Use either the right-indent tab (^y) or a regular tab (^t) with a fixed position, but not both.

• 4. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents
                Saskatchewanobie Level 2

P Spier wrote:

Looks to me like you have a dash after the lieting, followed by an end nested style character, then a right-indent tab, followed by another ordinary tab. The end nested style is inconsequential, but the two tabs are what is causing the problem. Use either the right-indent tab (^y) or a regular tab (^t) with a fixed position, but not both.

This is all a new mystery to me. I assume that these control characters should go in the box in the middle of the dialog box where you 'must' make a choice from a flyout menu. None of the choices make sense to me, as it is not clear what they accomplish or why there has to be a choice in the first place. I will go back, generate a new table of contents and use the regular tab (ctrl t) but have not a clue why this needs to be selected.

Thank you for your help with this. Any help with what these choices are all about would be greatly appreciated also.

Ken

• 5. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents

I usually use a right-indent tab, usually with a thin space on either side to leave a small gap in the leader, myself, if I'm using a tab (I often use an em space instead so the number follows closely and you don't need any sort of leader), becasue it always right-aligns on the edge of the frame, even if you change your mind later about the frame width, so you don't have to edit the tab position. I use a dotted underline as a nested chararacter style applied to the right indent tab in my listing paragraph style to create the leader.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents
                    Saskatchewanobie Level 2

I am so pleased to have you helping me with this. You have experience, and now, thanks to your help, I have a Table of Contents that looks halfway acceptable.

I'm wondering if formatting can be kept. Every time I do a 'rebuild' of the TOC the formatting is lost and I need to go back and specify the right hand tab and the line spacing.

It's not the end of the world, as InDesign is doing all the hard work of capturing the headings and putting in the page numbers. It just would be nice if it kept the formatting.

Thank You,

Ken

• 7. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents

Save the settings as a style. You should see the button on the upper right of the dialog.

• 8. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents
                        Saskatchewanobie Level 2

P Spier wrote:

Save the settings as a style. You should see the button on the upper right of the dialog.

I really need to be more knowledgeable on this. The style I've devised is after the TOC has completed its update. Is the dialog you are referring to the one that you get when you make a new table of Contents? I'm a little wobbly when it comes to styles, but do you mean to save the style from inside InDesign while I'm looking at the edited page. Select the TOC and then got to paragraph styles to save the set up as a style there?

I haven't a clue. Any details you can give as the steps to accomplish this will make a huge difference.

Thank You,

Ken

• 9. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents

Sorry, I was on my way to bed last night and didn't feel like searching for a screen cap, but here's a pretty good one to illustrate what you need to do:

TOC Setup.png

The first step is to set up all the styling for the entries. If all the options are not showing in your dialog, press the More Options button on the right of the dialog. In the capture you're looking at the settings for the main chapter headings, which are captured from their paragraph style. I the TOC itself, those listings are assigned a paragraph style named TOC Level1 (first box in the middle section) and for some reason in this project I used an a right-aligned tab rather than a right-indent tab, but I did include a thin space on either side. for the lower level entries I used em spaces instead of the tab to pull the numbers in tighter.

Notice that there are no character syles assigned to either the separator or the number in this dialog -- I handle those as nested styles in the paragraph style assigned to the listing (I add the dotted underline to the tabs as a style instead of setting a leader) -- but that's a matter more of personal preference than anything else.

Once you have all of the various level options set up, press the Save Style... button and give it a name other than Default. One of the great things abot a TOC is you can have as many as you want in the document, and if each is assigned a TOC style with a unique name they will not be disturbed by changes made to any other TOC. Make sure your new TOC Style name is showing in the dropdown field at the top of the dialog, and Press OK. Your TOC will generate or update using the settings in the saved style.

• 11. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents

Hmmm,

Redpointe, your reply is blank here on the web -- perhaps you edited it? In the email, though, you suggested using separate paragraph styles for body and TOC purposes. While this is not strictly required, I concur that this is a good habit. It prevents unwanted surprises when editing one of the styles to adjust the look of a heading or TOC entry, only to notice later that it also cahnge something you didn't expect. Usually I would avoid basing styles for the TOC on other styles in the body of the document, and vice versa, for the same reason.

• 12. Re: Having difficulty formatting a Table Of Contents
                              Saskatchewanobie Level 2

It's pretty good when we can communicate without using words in a post.

:- )

This is a masterful thread. Nowhere else could I find information like this, and that is what I love about User to User forums. No beating around the bush - straight for the kill with overkill of surrounding information from people who really know what it's about in the trenches. The best education in the world comes from being grilled every day completing client jobs, and it sounds like this is exactly where you are coming from.

I really appreciate this kind of help.

Thank You Both,

Ken