7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 6:01 AM by BobLevine

CS Release Dates

Stix Hart Level 5

Does anyone have a list of the release dates of CS3, CS4 and CS5?

Also what do the upgrade prices from CS5 to CS5.5 compare like to CS4 to CS5, or CS3 to CS4.  I'm trying to project costs etc..

• 1. Re: CS Release Dates
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Release date (according to Wikipedia) were CS3 March 2007, CS4 October 2008, CS5 April 2010 and CS5.5 April 2011.

• 2. Re: CS Release Dates
            Stix Hart Level 5

I don't know why I didn't think of Wikipedia!  Anyone got a comment on upgrade pricing comparisons?

• 3. Re: CS Release Dates
              John Hawkinson Level 5

I use http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=31&platform=Macintosh as a handy reference for when the maintenance releases were made... Of course it doesn't include the base releases. And you could certainly use the Windows page too.

• 4. Re: CS Release Dates
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Stix Hart wrote:

Anyone got a comment on upgrade pricing comparisons?

Upgrade pricing for 5.5 (and basic pricing) is higher than previous releases, and in my opinion too high for upgrades from 5 to 5.5. I think this may well inidcate a general price increase going forward.

I happen to have licenses for ID as a standalone, and for Design Premium and Master Collection CS5, and not enough computers to need them all all the time, so I'm seriously considering adopting a policy of upgrade the standalone ID for two years, then upgrade a suite, then back to the standalone for two years, then back to the suite, but I don't use the new features heavily in Photoshop or Illustrator (well, some of them I do, once I know what they are and how to use them, but it isn't the same as ID which I use day-in and day-out), and I'm not into web or video, so I can easily live without constant upgrades on those components, too. Your mileage may vary, and if you don't have standalone licenses already, you'd have to factor that in as well.

• 5. Re: CS Release Dates
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Using Design Premium as an example: From CS4 to CS5 was $599. From CS5 to CS5.5 has a list price of $399 so I'm not sure why you think this upgrade cost more...unless you're referring upgrading to it from earlier versions. In that case Adobe is just keeping with their policy of tiered upgrade pricing.

Time will tell, but I'd guess that when CS6 is released the pricing will be from CS5 and CS5.5 to CS6 and from CS3/CS4 to CS6.

Bob

• 6. Re: CS Release Dates
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That's two-thirds the price of a full step upgrade for a half-step upgrade in a suite in which not everything got changed in significant ways, and If I paid that now for upgrading to 5.5, I'd be extremely upset if the price were the same to upgrade to CS6 from both CS5 and CS5.5, or are you suggesting there will be a $400 (or maybe $300 since in theory you get some value from the use of the current upgrade) differential?

• 7. Re: CS Release Dates
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not suggesting anything....I'm guessing.

I'm only basing it on the difficulties that having three upgrade SKUs might bring. The other possibility is a CS5.5 to CS6 price and CS3/CS4/CS5 to CS6.

I don't think the $399 (Amazon has it for $349: http://amzn.to/jOFXnJ) is all that out of line IF you use the features. For anyone working on Epub (and who knows their HTML and CSS) the upgrade is worth the price just for that. You'd also get a new version of Dreamweaver which now handles mobile sites much better and a new version of Acrobat Pro. Flash and Flash Catalyst are also upgrade to CS5.5.

I get the fact that many users don't need or want the upgrade, but for those that use those features, it's a pretty good investment, in my opinion.

Bob