5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 9:27 AM by Huntrex

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M and MPE

Huntrex Level 2

Hey gang!

I'm about to purchase the Dell XPS 15. Dell is having a two-day sale, so I can pick it up for a good price ($1,200). But before the purchase, I want to be sure that everything in my configuration is up to par. Is the "NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus" (with the hack if necessary) capable of running the MPE? The "GT 540M 2GB" is an available upgrade.

The default processor is the "2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz". There is also a $125 upgrade "i7-2720QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30 GHz". I'm currently leaning toward the 2630QM but would upgrade to the 2720QM if it would prove very beneficial. I'll be mainly editing Canon 7D footage.

Note that this is going to be an all-purpose laptop; so I don't need the capabilities of Harm's beast, but it should be able to edit when needed.

One caveat: this laptop doesn't have a Firewire port, which is the only computer connection of one of my cameras.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M and MPE
          JFPhoton Level 3

Don't rush and buy something you will regret!!!!

This machine will suck at editing Canon MOV files, ( which I am editing on a laptop).

Those video cards suck....they have DDR3.....you need DDR5..... pick a machine with at least a 460m NVidia, ( no ATI....mercury playback will not work).

The first CPU sucks....only two core......you need four core minimum i7

Don't waste your money on crappy Dell......you will not be happy!!!

Spend some time on this forum and learn what is required to edit your files.....which are highly compressed and among the most difficult to edit of all codecs.

For a laptop, Sager has the best,but, most expensive.....Asus has powerful units much cheaper. Xcotic PC company "mods" Sagers and Asus to boost performance.

Regardless, you will need to spend ~$2,000 at least to get a laptop that can handle PPro CS5, which is a pro level, demanding application.

Check out Asus models at Tiger or New Egg and you may do a lot better with just a little more spent.

To get the best performance, CPU speed is king.....get the highest Sandy Bridge you can afford....you can't overclock the laptop.

You must have 2 internal drive bays........using SATA III SSDs , which now are blazing fast will help inside your rig.....externally, you will need a real eSata port, ( I have USB 3 and it is disappointing...only 100MB/sec.)  All 3 drives running will help.

If you get a cheaper machine, you will have to transcode your Canon MOV files to an intermediate codec for editing.....no native editing.......take a little time and learn on this forum.......there is a benchmark site called "PPBM5" which lists in order how different machines perform with PPro CS5......only a few laptops there, most suck.....mine came in pretty good in the middle because I put in 14G B ram and 2 SSds.

Good Luck!!!                                  JFPhoton

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M and MPE
            Huntrex Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

As I said: this laptop is not going to be the "perfect editing machine." Most of the time, it will be used for office related tasks; training; web browsing; and web, print and graphic design, using the rest of CS5. I've done some research and it should work very well for these tasks. I just want it to be usable for reviewing footage and light editing when needed.

According to this page, the 2630QM is a quad core.

Every computer I currently own is a Dell and I haven't had any problems with any of them. The laptop that this would replace is a 7 year old, middle of the line Dell Inspiron. My current editing machine, a Dell XPS 420, actually has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I know, I need to (and will) upgrade. But using fractional resolution on the DSLR footage in Premiere, it works well enough for now.

As you can probably tell, I'm just getting started. I don't need the best equipment now. I just need something that works.

• 3. Re: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M and MPE
              Martin Douglas Level 2

I would upgrade to the 1920x1080 screen and or look at the xps 17

you will need the real estate

• 4. Re: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M and MPE
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I just checked on the Dell site and with a price of € 2,043 for the best XPS 15 that sounds steep when it does not even meet minimum requirements for PR CS5. That will be a system that ends up somewhere in the Q1 range of the PPBM5 Benchmark

I would spend that money elsewhere.

• 5. Re: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M and MPE
                  Huntrex Level 2

Harm, what would you recommend then? I've checked many different models and brands. Every other system I checked around this price range had poorer specs than the XPS 15. That's one of the reasons I chose this model.

Back to the origional question: Is the "NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus"(with the hack if necessary) capable of running the MPE? The "GT 540M 2GB" is an available upgrade.

@Martin: Yes, I chose the upgrade to the full HD display. Due to portability concerns, I'm sticking with a 15 inch model.