2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 8:39 AM by peter minneapolis

Anchoring and numbering issue at INDD

dorothea.per Level 1

Hello, i would really want to ask some things to the experts that i've met during DTP procedure and game me a really hard time, i hope that this are just things i don't know and not something that i can't fix cause i'lll kill my self next time.........

** well i've got those translated INX files and of cource other languages than EN take a lot more of space but since at source graphs are not anchored somewhere either i have to do it my self for each one seperately or drag and drop them on every page and i gust end up moving graphs all the time, most of them not grouped and it's really awfull....... is there something i can do?

** something also bad is that when moving graphs default numbering usually gets messes up and i get figure 8 for examle at the beginning of the page and the next graph is numbered 7.......i end up turning them to text...what can i do for that case?

(hope i described my issues clearly enough so you can help me.........cause i think i spend time to nothing)

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Anchoring and numbering issue at INDD
          sssuuusssaaannn Level 1

Dorothea, I did the same as you...gave up on Figures numbering altogether.

There are a couple of good docs about chapter and outline numbering, and

while that works fine and the articles also describe Figure numbering, there

IS a warning that figures are numbered in the order they are created or

placed,, meaning that if you're gonna move them, you're doomed.  I wonder

why figures can't be moved around like chapter numbers, it sure is a pity,

because who on earth never changes their pics around?

• 2. Re: Anchoring and numbering issue at INDD
            peter minneapolis Level 4

dorothea.per wrote:

Hello, i would really want to ask some things to the experts that i've met during DTP procedure and game me a really hard time, i hope that this are just things i don't know and not something that i can't fix cause i'lll kill my self next time.........

** well i've got those translated INX files and of cource other languages than EN take a lot more of space but since at source graphs are not anchored somewhere either i have to do it my self for each one seperately or drag and drop them on every page and i gust end up moving graphs all the time, most of them not grouped and it's really awfull....... is there something i can do?

** something also bad is that when moving graphs default numbering usually gets messes up and i get figure 8 for examle at the beginning of the page and the next graph is numbered 7.......i end up turning them to text...what can i do for that case?

(hope i described my issues clearly enough so you can help me.........cause i think i spend time to nothing)

Thanks,

Numbered lists (autonumbered paragraph styles) work fine in threaded content. If your graphics are anchored, the numbers will adjust for insertions and deletions.

If the Continue Numbers across Stories numbered list property is enabled, numbered paragraphs in unthreaded text frames display as the frames' creation order; if disabled, the numbers restart from the default 1, or whatever restart value is set for the list.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

1 person found this helpful