7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 1:37 PM by Brad_Simmons

Out-of-Order Autoflow: How to fix?

Brad_Simmons Level 1

Hello fellow ID users,

I have a 210-page document that I created in InDesign CS5.This document is arranged so that single pages are listed in sequence, with right and left alternating master pages (A,B,A,B, etc.).

As I was reviewing this document, I realized that the text would make more sense if I moved some pages around. So I opened up the page window and moved the pages around.

Unfortunately, after I moved these pages InDesign did not change the sequence of threaded frames to match the new sequence of the pages. And so now page 190 flows to 193; 191 flows to 192; but then 192 flows to 194; and 193 flows to 195. My text threads now resemble a spider web!

Is there some way that I can get InDesign to redo the autoflow so that the text threads are again in sequence with my new page layout?

• 1. Re: Out-of-Order Autoflow: How to fix?
          Harbs. Level 6

Ouch.

Simplest solution: Delete the pages and reflow.

You can download the trial of AutoFlow Pro: http://in-tools.com/products/plugins/autoflow-pro/

It has a "rebuild story" command which totally reflows the story from text frame #1. This should work to fix your problem...

Harbs

• 2. Re: Out-of-Order Autoflow: How to fix?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not easily if you are alternating A and B masters, unless one is based on the other and they fall inthe correct sequence. Is there some reason you didn't choose to arrang this as a facing pages file with a two-page master spread?

But I'm confused about waht you mean. You said you shuffled the pages to rearrange the text to make more sense. If you reflow the text to get rid of the spaghetti threading, you'll wind up where you were before shuffling the pages, so doesn't that defet the purpose? If you want to change the order of paragraphs inthe text flow, you need to edit the text and move the paragraphs.

• 3. Re: Out-of-Order Autoflow: How to fix?
              Brad_Simmons Level 1

Harbs wrote: "Simplest solution: Delete the pages and reflow."

Ugh. Yeah I know that would fix the problem. But I have numerous pages after this sequence and this means that I would basically need to redo this chapter from page 190 on. Isn't there an easier fix?

Peter asked: "Is there some reason you didn't choose to arrang this as a facing pages file with a two-page master spread?"

Yeah, this document will be printed in single pages on a copier. Since the end-user/reader will not read it as facing pages, I didn't want to look at it that way on my screen.

Peter suggested: "If you reflow the text to get rid of the spaghetti threading, you'll wind up where you were before shuffling the pages, so doesn't that defet the purpose? "

No, I won't wind up where I was before. I simply want my new page 190 to flow to 191, and 191 to flow to 192, etc. I guess what I was trying to communicate in my original post was that logically, the text in my document would make more sense to the reader if I reordered it, and so that's how I got into this pickle in the first place.

Peter also suggested: "If you want to change the order of paragraphs inthe text flow, you need to edit the text and move the paragraphs."

Um, well it's too late for that. I'm wondering how to fix this?

It seems to me that either I should be able to:

a) Somehow manually click on the text thread and place it where I want it to go (like on the following page) or:

b) Turn off all autoflow and then somehow "restart" it so that ID will automatically have it snake from each page to the next in the correct sequence.

Isn't there any way to do either of these? Or is there another solution that I'm missing here?

• 4. Re: Out-of-Order Autoflow: How to fix?

If the reader is not viewing facing pages, why do you have two masters for left and right?

An no, you can't "magically" change the order that text appears in a story. You have to rearrange the text. There's nothing wrong with what you've done, by the way, if each page can stand alone so the reading order in the print doesn't affect the ability of the reader to comprehend what's on the pages, but any editing you do going forward could certainly mess that up. Just because the threading lines look ugly doesn't mean there's a problem for output.

Does the text actually need to be threaded, though? If not, you could run the split story script.

• 5. Re: Out-of-Order Autoflow: How to fix?
                  Brad_Simmons Level 1

Okay, so I called Adobe tech support and found that there is a way to delete text threads and then reestablish them. Here's

how:

To delete current text threads:

Under the Windows menu, select Utilities.

Under the Utilities submenu, select Scripts

Go to the Applications folder.

Go to the Samples folder.

Go to the VB Script folder.

Select Split Story

(Note – if you just want to delete the text threads on specific pages, first select those pages in the Page panel, then perform Split Story, and it should delete text threads for those pages only).

To reestablish text threads:

Go to the top page. Use the Selection Tool (top arrow) to click on the blue box on this page. Click on the LARGE box on the bottom right-hand side of this page. The cursor should then be loaded with the text to thread.

Go to the next page. Click on the upper left corner of the page. This should reestablish the text thread between these two pages.

Repeat throughout the entire document!

• 6. Re: Out-of-Order Autoflow: How to fix?

Just so you know, using the split story script is not foolproof. When you break the thread at each frame you are essentially inserting a hard return at the end of each frame. Any paragraphs that spanned a frame boundary are now two separate paragraphs, divided where they crossed the frame boundary, and will remain two paragraphs after rethreading. If you used a paragraph style with a first line indent or a hanging indent, this will show up where it doesn't belong at the top of a frame, and if you happen to have a numbered or bulleted list item that crossed the frame boundary, it has now become two list items (and your numbering for numbered lists is destroyed).

Again, I'm going to try to clarify what advantage this gave you?  Unless you are planning on editing the text further after re-threading and need to have the text reflow in the frames, you've really not done anything useful. Unless you go through and fix all the places where paragraphs were broken, any editing in what was the first half of the paragraph is likely to leave some rather nasty spacing problems. Quite frankly, cutting and pasting the text into a new position in the story is probably safer and less work in most cases.

• 7. Re: Out-of-Order Autoflow: How to fix?
                      Brad_Simmons Level 1

Unfortunately, Peter, I'm coming around to your way of thinking. I'm going to start a new file and cut & paste each page from scratch.

I solemnly swear! I will never, never, never, ever move pages around in the text panel again! Never!!!!

Doing so just turns your text threads into a cat's cradle.

Next time, I'll just cut & paste the copy. Sigh.