1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 10:41 PM by John Hawkinson

XML, InDesign and  variable data.

Parigela

Hi Everyone,

I would like some advice for handling an InDesign project that I have. It is a variable data project and XML is part of the process. The client cannot afford expensive customised solutions or plugins because of a limited budget.

The project itself.

Every week the client receives an XML file with a list of orders. Each order has is an XML element with around 30 - 50 children and descendants. Now from the root, each child (order) has to be made into a separate booklet. The booklet itself will have to be populated from three difeerent sources: the XML, text files and image files. The text files and image files will have to be placed depending on certain codes in the XML file.

I have thought of using XSLT to transform the XML file to a more readable format for the indesign template as the orderof elements needs to be changed and some elements need to be duplicated. Some of the image and text files can be converted into an indesign file so that when required, the corresponding file can be appended to the booklet.

From there, I am stumped. I would like to ideally create an automatic process where once the XML file is imported and the XSLT applied; Indesign automatically creates the booklets and populates the correct text and images from a database and indesign files.

Might be I'm hoping for too much but well...

I'll be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanking you in advance.

• 1. Re: XML, InDesign and  variable data.
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Hi, Parigela.

Sorry, I had meant to reply sooner. But maybe it's for the best -- it helps to set your expectations, which I think are basically about right. InDesign's XML workflows are not very mature and it's not going to be able to do what you want without some effort. And that means you're going to have to do some work with InDesign's scripting. Are you familiar with it?

I have thought of using XSLT to transform the XML file to a more readable format for the indesign template as the orderof elements needs to be changed and some elements need to be duplicated. Some of the image and text files can be converted into an indesign file so that when required, the corresponding file can be appended to the booklet.

InDesign has two seperate and completely independant XML models. The first one, that is heavily focused on in the documentation, is document-based. You import XML into a document and then do stuff with it, such as creating text frames or stories from some nodes, rectangles from other nodes, etc., possibly according to a template though possibly not.

The second model is entirely within InDesign's JavaScript interpretter, and is called E4X. It's merely a set of JavaScript objects that let you manipulate and use XML, but it is not connected to InDesign's object model.

Which of these makes more sense is a bit unclear here. It may very well depend on how good a match your XML is for InDesign's native model. Though of course you could use both.

In particular, the native model doesn't make a lot of sense for multiple documents. Though I suppose you can import your XML into one master document, then parse the tree and create a booklet document for each child of the root, and then parcel out the XML into those documents.

It would probably make more sense to have a JavaScript that read the master XML with E4X and then created several ID documents and used ID's native XML support to populate those with portions from the master XML.

Alternatively, you could break out your master XML into multiple XML files (one per booklet) and somehow drive Javascript to apply each one to each booklet document.

Of course, depending on your booklets, perhaps you want to have them consecutive in one big InDesign document.

I'd probably go with the E4X method. Note that you may be able to use that instead of XSLT, and if you find that programming in XSLT is not what comes easily to you.

From there, I am stumped. I would like to ideally create an automatic process where once the XML file is imported and the XSLT applied; Indesign automatically creates the booklets and populates the correct text and images from a database and indesign files.

All perfectly possible. You'll have to give a lot more detail for us to be able to help you reasonably, though. Posting an example XML file would be a great way to start. Maybe some screenshots of the layout. How variable does the layout have to be? How many textframes are htere? Are they all one linked story? How do the graphics work?