9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 6:31 AM by Eugene Tyson RSS

Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?

AndyRealise3D Community Member

Hi All

Can you help... Do you know if Indesign and Illustrator CS5.5 files are compatible with CS5?

We've got Creative Suite Design Premium CS4 on one machine and CS5 on the other machine - it's a nightmare because things designed on  the CS5 machines can't be opened on the other machine without major headaches. So I need to upgrade CS4 machine to CS5, except that Adobe have gone and brought out CS5.5... and so it's now proving hard to get a CS4 to CS5 upgrade.

Therefore what will happen if I have CS5.5 on one machine and CS5 on the other? Are we still going to have compatibility issues?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?
          Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

Contact Adobe about upgrading options for your software.

Best to update all machines to CS5.5

The only way to go from CS5.5 to CS5/CS4 is through File>Export IDML

And the same with CS5 to CS4 is through File>Expor IDML

But there will be issues. Namely features new to CS5.5 will be stripped out when opened in CS5 or CS4

And Features new in CS5 will be stripped out when opened in CS4.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?

Thanks for the info - that's what I suspected. We really need to be able to read the native Indesign files on both machines.

... "Best to upgrade both machines"... errr ha ha ha (nervous laugh). What at £600 each upgrade? After the British tax man has had his 10lbs of flesh there's just about enough left for food these days. Enough for one upgrade if we smash the piggy bank and certainly then nothing left for fun times!

Don't get me wrong, I really love the Adobe software, I think it's excellent, but the way Adobe charge for upgrades is actual full-on arm-twisting nasty 'tough luck mate' extortion. With 5.5 it's like having to buy a whole new car just so you can get new wiper blades that fit. I wouldn't mind, except that I don't need the new wiper blades, but they've stopped selling the previous versions. Even Micro$oft will still sell you Office 2007 if you want it. Bizarre way to build customer loyalty. Oh yes I forgot, they're the design software monopoly, so who cares! Let's ramp up the price again! Woopeee!

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll have a look around the auction sites and online retailers to see if I can find stock of CS4 - CS5 upgrade.

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?
              BobLevine CommunityMVP

Try Amazon...at least in North America they still have some stock.

Bob

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?
                P Spier CommunityMVP

Be really careful about auctions. Aside from the risks of counterfeits, many sellers don't realize that you can't sell a used upgrade disk without including the entire chain leading up to it, and any upgrades added after. Finding a never-used upgrade is not impossible, but not easy.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?

Thanks for the heads up about Amazon.

Do you happen to know whether a North American Amazon purchase will still upgrade ok in the UK?

• 6. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?

Ah yes, good advice about the auctions. I haven't bought any software off eBay since about 2001 when I bought something that turned out to be right dodgy. Learned my lesson there.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?

All I say is that it's best to have all machines on the same version.

That said if you can get them all on CS4, CS5 or CS5.5 - one version don't cross breed the files if you're sharing them amongst colleagues.

There is logic to why the files aren't compatible across different versions

http://in-tools.com/article/whats-with-back-save-to-earlier-versions-of-indesign/

• 8. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?

Thanks for the link - that a very good article. I don't actually have a problem with there being upgrade incompatibility - as a technical person I intuited that there was something structural behind this (it's not like it's Adobe policy, as PS, AI don't have the same issue as ID). So it's really good to learn more detail about how ID works.

What I don't like is thier pricing/sale model that goes with it. IMHO the upgrade price should reflect the actual value that the upgrade delivers. I this case CS5 - CS5.5 is a .5 upgrade because it's only in a limited area, and a large amount of the work done is essentially a fix - making something previously marketed work properly. Most other software companies consider this carefully and generally .5 upgrades are part of bug fixing or at least heavily discounted (particulalry for people who bought the .0 version just 6 months ago).

Anyway, I didn't intend to get into a discussion about Adobe pricing, but the main thing was to understand whether 5.5 works with 5. You have answered my question perfectly - so many thanks!

• 9. Re: Indesign CS5 and CS5.5 compatibility?

I agree to an extent about the 5.5 upgrade.

It really is geared more towards people that need to deliver ebooks and ipad solutions. But it has some great new features that could be utilised on a daily basis anyway.

I agree though, the price is very high for the .5 upgrade, and even more so in Europe - $119 (€84.46) but in Europe it's €143 ($201.45)