3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 1:57 PM by John Danek

RGB auto change to CMYK

cheryl Uhl Level 1

I'm having some conversion problems. I've had to select jewelry out of a background in photoshop.

I'm trying to place it into illustrator. But the file ext. that lets me place without a white box won't let me make it CMYK.

The file ext that does let me do it puts a white box around jewelry when I try to place it in illustrator.

If I place an image in a document that's RGB will it change to CMYK when I change the whole document?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: RGB auto change to CMYK
          John Danek Level 4

You can create a transparent background in PS ( double click the background Layer which will bring up a dialogue box where you can name it Layer 0 > click OK ), with the background now Layer 0, delete the area you selected.  The background should now appear checkerboard.  Save the file as a .psd.  Convert the file to CMYK and Place the .psd in Ai.  You could also create a clipping path and save the CMYK as an .eps and Place the .eps in Ai.

Should you decide to keep the file RGB, it will not be an automatic conversion, but rather, a forced conversion to whatever the RIP decides.  Try to avoid the RGB by using the steps above.

• 2. Re: RGB auto change to CMYK
            cheryl Uhl Level 1

John,

Thank you so much. I haven't been doing anything for press in a while and I've forgotten some things. Your input is very much appreciated!

Cheryl

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:55:20 -0600

To: cherylculater@hotmail.com

Subject: RGB auto change to CMYK

You can create a transparent background in PS ( double click the background Layer which will bring up a dialogue box where you can name it Layer 0 > click OK ), with the background now Layer 0, delete the area you selected.  The background should now appear checkerboard.  Save the file as a .psd.  Convert the file to CMYK and Place the .psd in Ai.  You could also create a clipping path and save the CMYK as an .eps and Place the .eps in Ai.

Should you decide to keep the file RGB, it will not be an automatic conversion, but rather, a forced conversion to whatever the RIP decides.  Try to avoid the RGB by using the steps above.

>

• 3. Re: RGB auto change to CMYK
              John Danek Level 4

Happy to help.  Long live print.