8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 6:18 AM by Peter Spier

Outlining Footnotes- possible?

baronvonf

Hi everybody,

I'm working on a Japanese magazine along with another person. He typeset the Japanese text over my English document (after setting the language to Japanese).

I don't have a plug-in that the other designer has which could cause the text to reflow if I open it (we both have the same font). Not knowing Japanese, I wouldn't be able to tell if the text reflowed, so I asked the typesetter to outline the text. In doing so, all the footnotes were lost.

Is there anyway to outline the text so that the footnotes aren't lost (without having to manually set each of the MANY footnotes of the magazine)?

We're both working on InDesign 7.0.4- Mac.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Outlining Footnotes- possible?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Take a look at http://in-tools.com/products/world-tools-pro/

Once you convert to outlines you no longer have text, and so you no longer have things like underlines or special markers or anchored objects.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Outlining Footnotes- possible?
            baronvonf Level 1

Thanks Peter.

I guess that would be a request for the next iteration of InDesign.

Thanks also for the Word Tools Pro tip. The Japanese text that's being set is left to right, so in this case it wouldn't be necessary, but it looks useful for future projects.

• 3. Re: Outlining Footnotes- possible?
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Actually, what World Tools Pro will get you is the Japanese Paragraph Composer - you could be confident that reflow would not damage the document unduly.  (Assuming you're using CS5.) If you are going to do any future collaborative work with Japanese, it's a must-have. Otherwise, any change you make can damage the linebreaks - and I strongly doubt that you've done a line-by-line proof against the Japanese contributor's PDF to ensure that text has not reflowed anywhere in the document.

• 4. Re: Outlining Footnotes- possible?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Also, if the plugin you don't have is just part of the Japanese version of InDesign, and this is just a quick one-time thing, then you could probably install the 30-day trial of the Japanese version of InDesign.

• 5. Re: Outlining Footnotes- possible?
                  David W. Goodrich Level 3

Last time I checked--and it has been a while--the Japanese version came with an interface in Japanese only and required a Japanese OS (as opposed to an English-language OS with added Japanese capability).  Moreover, you cannot load two different language versions of the same release on the same machine without dual-booting (i.e., Japanese ID CS4 cannot co-exist with English IDCS4).

David

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Outlining Footnotes- possible?
                    baronvonf Level 1

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm not sure about the Japanese version of ID being installed on a Japanese OS, as the typesetter is using his Mac in the States, and I'm pretty sure that he's got English as the OS default.

Either way- thanks everyone for the input.

I hope that Adobe makes it possible to outline footnotes and character attributes in the next version.

• 7. Re: Outlining Footnotes- possible?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

baronvonf wrote:

I hope that Adobe makes it possible to outline footnotes and character attributes in the next version.

More likely pigs will fly. Outlining text is not a recommended technique in any modern workflow and has a lot of disadvantages. Couple that with what I'm sure are large technical problems with trying to implement the suggestion (if it was easy, it would already be there), and it seems pretty unlikely to happen.

If you absolutely need to have outlines at final output, there are ways to do that using transparency and exporting flattened PDF.

• 8. Re: Outlining Footnotes- possible?
                        Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Seems like they're worried about text reflow.

Why not just get a PDF from the Japanese text setting guy.

With all the text on one layer you can place the PDF into InDesign and only use the text layer.