5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 2:09 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Resizing Composition question...

Skoolbus777 Level 1

Hello,

Forgive the noob question.

I've resized the composition, and the footage I have within it doesn't resize. No problem, but then I select my footage and/or corresponding elements and then have to scale down.

Is there a way to select footage/image/etc. and manually input a point size based on the comp settings size? Right now I select the object, and then go to scale under the tranform properties and find a percentage number the best fits. I'd like to be more precise, maybe use pixels dimensions instead of using percentage-based numbers.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Resizing Composition question...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you scale everything,m simply nest the comp in a smaller comp and scale it once. If you enable continuous rasterization, it wil lretain a maximum level of quality (but keep in mind the otehr functionality associated with CR for 3D layers and passing through blending modes). Other than that you might consider the comp resizer script that comes with AE as wel las some similar ones you can find on sites like AEnhancers.com and AEScripts.com...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Resizing Composition question...
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

What are you doing: making the original comp smaller, or making it bigger?

To make it small, simply make a smaller comp, nest the larger original comp in the new comp, and scale the nested comp to fit the new comp.

To make it large, there's a script that comes with AE that can do the trick.

And I have absolutely NO notion why you can't get the necessary precision using the scale property as it is.  I don't think I've ever heard that come up before.  Your eyes must be a whole lot better than mine to see the difference between 23.42% and 23.43%.

• 3. Re: Resizing Composition question...
              Skoolbus777 Level 1

Awesome! Didn't know you could put comps in comps. So if I put a comp within another comp, I'll only have the size the comp once (I think), that's great. As to not having to scale each element individually.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Resizing Composition question...
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Didn't know you could put comps in comps.

You DIDN'T? You're not trying to use AE intuitively, are you?

I mean, you're beginning at the beginning, learning the basics, walking before you run, right?

You're not making the classic mistake of thinking to yourself, "Hey, how tough can it be to learn this stuff?  I don't need no stinkin' basics!"

• 5. Re: Resizing Composition question...
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Dave suggests, it's a good idea to work through the basics first. I recommend starting here to learn After Effects.