3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2011 1:03 PM by bjf2000

New in 10.1 on Windows: ARMsvc.exe, Flash

snissenCC

The release notes for the new version 10.1 of Adobe Reader for Windows mention two new features about which I'd like more information. Maybe someone can direct me to a knowledgebase article or blog post on these topics?

1. "A more secure and enhanced Flash Player": Really? a Flash Player installation is included in the Adobe Reader installation? How can I find out more about this: version number, ActiveX or Firefox plugin, etc? Does the Mac OS X version of Adobe Reader 10.1 include Flash Player too?

2. "On Windows 7, Vista, and Server 2008, 10.1 installs ARMsvc.exe as part of the Updater. The new service enables silent and automatic updates on machines where a user has configured the application for automatic updates. The service eliminates information dialogs prior to updates." This new service sounds great, but I need to know more about it: does it run with system privileges so that updates work for standard users? how often does it check for updates? can I adjust the update interval or time with registry settings? can a user interrupt or abort the update process (e.g., if it slows down their copmuter during a critical interval)? exactly what does "where a user has configured the application for automatic updates" mean?

• 1. Re: New in 10.1 on Windows: ARMsvc.exe, Flash
          LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

armsvc is Windows Service running in System context.

It is not configurable (except you can stop\disable it if you have privileges)

It has no scheduler and does nothing on its own.

It will be used by Updater (ARM) when Updater needs elevation.

Updater is disabled for Standard users on Vista and W7 if UAC is turned OFF.

If UAC is ON, silent install will not be possible for Standard users because they must provide Admin credentials to elevate.

I am fairly sure that Standard User will be switched into UI mode to provide credentials even if Updater preferences are set to run in full automatic mode.

"where a user has configured the application for automatic updates" means that User selected "Download and Install updates automatically" option in the application Edit\Preferences\Updater dialog.

• 2. Re: New in 10.1 on Windows: ARMsvc.exe, Flash
            Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

1. "A more secure and enhanced Flash Player": Really? a Flash Player installation is included in the Adobe Reader installation? How can I find out more about this: version number, ActiveX or Firefox plugin, etc? Does the Mac OS X version of Adobe Reader 10.1 include Flash Player too?

The Flash Player is not integrated with Adobe Reader as such, but Reader has the ability to render flash content. The same component has been updated via this release to give you a more secure environment. The same applies to Adobe Reader for MAC OS X as well.

2. "On Windows 7, Vista, and Server 2008, 10.1 installs ARMsvc.exe as part of the Updater. The new service enables silent and automatic updates on machines where a user has configured the application for automatic updates. The service eliminates information dialogs prior to updates." This new service sounds great, but I need to know more about it: does it run with system privileges so that updates work for standard users? how often does it check for updates? can I adjust the update interval or time with registry settings? can a user interrupt or abort the update process (e.g., if it slows down their copmuter during a critical interval)? exactly what does "where a user has configured the application for automatic updates" mean?

1. Standard users will not be able to install the updates without entering the credentials even with the introduction of armsvc.exe.

2. It will check for the updates 3 days after the least successful check.

3. Also, once the update starts, there is no option of cancelling the update and its not advisable to kill the same via the Task Manager as well. It may result in a corrupted installation on your system.

4. You can configure the application for Automatic Updates by changing the Updater settings. (Edit > Preferences > Updater)

You can get more information on the ARM Updater by accessing the below PDF:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Updater.pdf

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Ankit

• 3. Re: New in 10.1 on Windows: ARMsvc.exe, Flash
              bjf2000 Level 1

This is a welcome advance, but I wonder why it's a Reader-specific service when Flash updates are more frequent and therefore could benefit even more with automation. Users really don't want to have to click through two Flash installers popping up every week or two. Adobe had the opportunity to make one general Adobe update service (like Google has).