6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 8:01 AM by rproulxmtl

PremierePro 5.5 and Encore 5.1 not closing (Vista64)

rproulxmtl Level 1

I recently installed the 5.5 Master suite update which pretty well duplicated most of the apps in my previous 5.0 Master Suite except for the few that are improved, such as Premiere Pro. I'm now seeing that Premiere Pro is not closing after I exit. It will appear to be closed but when I check the Task Manager I find that it's still present in the list or running processes. With Premiere Pro it's not a problem I would not have noticed as PPro re-launches without any complaints. But Encore is doing the same thing (still running in the Processes list even though I closed it) and it will not relaunch unless I force the process to end by selecting it in Processes list and choose End Process.

Anyone know what might be causing this and if there's an easy fix? I'm not terribly fond of the idea of having to uninstall/reinstall the whole CS 5.5 Master Suite.Is there some web functionality added to the CS5.5 update that keeps apps open in the background even when they've been closed?

Russell

• 1. Re: PremierePro 5.5 and Encore 5.1 not closing (Vista64)
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've seen that happen when some third-party components hold on to the process.

Tell us about your third-party video hardware, drivers, and codecs. BlackMagic, Matrox, AJA...?

• 2. Re: PremierePro 5.5 and Encore 5.1 not closing (Vista64)
            cvid01 Level 4

1. I have Vista 64 on one computer with a Matrox card, and Premiere Pro (CS5) and Encore will close.

2. I have Windows 7 on another computer, no add-ons and Premiere Pro (CS5.5) and Encore 5.1 will not close unless I do so from Task Manager.

Go figure!

• 3. Re: PremierePro 5.5 and Encore 5.1 not closing (Vista64)
              rproulxmtl Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Tell us about your third-party video hardware, drivers, and codecs. BlackMagic, Matrox, AJA...?

I'm running an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard with 24GB RAM (nothing overclocked), boot disk is an SSD, 2 WD VelociRaptors (300/600) for files and scratch and another SSD that I use as a Photoshop's scratch disk. The videocard is a Gigabyte Radeon HD5750 'Silent Cell' and I'm running the latest drivers. It's OpenGL features work fine with Photoshop.

fwiw I use a small mobile rack to swap out my 'Boot' SSD for a second one on which Windows 7(64) is installed as well as the second install of the Master Suite. I just checked it out and it behaves properly with that installation. Since both OS's use the same hardware as well as the same video driver version then I assume that's probably not where the problem is.

I'm not sure if I'm checking in the right place for the CODEC versions as I'm much more familiar with Photoshop stuff. In 'System Information', under 'Components' and 'Multimedia', there are 2 tabs listing Audio and Video Codecs. In there are listed 5 video Codecs and 5 audio ones.  They're all Microsoft except one audio Codec named 'Fraunhofer IIs MPEG Layer-3 Codec'.

I'm not sure what you might be refering to by "BlackMagic, Matrox, AJA..." ?

For now I can just shut them down manually and poke at things more when I have time.  Perhaps someone else will find the culprit and save me the trouble. Reading so many other posts online with the same (or very similar) problem suggests that there's something in common.

Do you have any suggestions of where I might start looking? Is it worth trying a 'repair install' of the Master Suite? I'd do a reinstall of the suite if I thought it would help, seeing that the error does not occur with Win7(64) on the same hardware.

Thanks for the help :-)

Russell

• 4. Re: PremierePro 5.5 and Encore 5.1 not closing (Vista64)
                rproulxmtl Level 1

I did more reading and found GSpot Codec Information Appliance that displays a LOT more Codecs than the method I used above. Now I know what you meant by "BlackMagic, Matrox, AJA...".

So ... how can I know if a Codec is what's causing the issue? Is there a way of managing Codecs by enabling/diabling them to see which one might be the culprit? Would the presence of a Codec provoke an install error ? Or is it usually something that can be solved simply be removing the offender?

Russell

• 5. Re: PremierePro 5.5 and Encore 5.1 not closing (Vista64)
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

rproulxmtl,

It's more the drivers associated with those thitd-party hardware deviced that tend to be the problem---not the codecs. If you don't have that kind of additional hardware, then that's probably not the cause.

• 6. Re: PremierePro 5.5 and Encore 5.1 not closing (Vista64)
                    rproulxmtl Level 1

I've implemented a little workaround while waiting to see if I can solve it. I created a shortcut on my desktop that kills the Adobe Premiere Pro.exe process without having to launch the Task Manager. It uses a Microsoft app called "taskkill.exe" that's included with WinXP, Vista, and I think Win7 as well.

How:

Create a shortcut for Premiere Pro on your desktop by dragging the Adobe Premiere Pro.exe app from within the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\ folder while holding the Alt key.

Right-click on the new shortcut and select 'Propeties' to see the 5 areas where you can change/add details.

Target: C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /f /im "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe"

Start in: C:\Windows\System32

Shortcut key: None

Run: Normal Window

Comment: (leave empty or add whatever you want)

You can then re-name the shortcut to something like "CLOSE PremierePro" so you remember what it does.

That's it. You just double-click on it and it closes PremierePro if it's still running in the background.

I'd prefer to resolve the issue. But in the meantime this makes closing it more convenient.

For more info see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb491009.aspx

Russell