1 2 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 8:04 AM by guaica5

Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!

Jeffery Galinovsky

I do alot of projects that are a montage of photos and videos - in my latest project Premiere Pro started replacing pictures with other picture data. This has not happened to me so it must have happened when a recent patch or something was installed. I am using 5.0.3. Here are some more details:

There are a few times when this will happen so here are a couple instances:

1. I will import some pictures into the Jproject BIN area. I wil then grab them and drop them into a sequence. Using a speicfic exampl, I droped 5 images into the sequence (a HD 1080i sequence) and when I moved the preview bar on top of them I noticed a couple of the images were the same image! Lets say they are 1.jpg, 2.jpg, ... 5.jpg. What I noticed is that all of a sudden 3.jpg is showing what 1.jpg is. If I delete and reload, same thing! I actually have to open 3.jpg in photoshop and make a small change, resave it, and then Premiere Pro will then reload and the image shows up fine. This happens randomly and in the 200+ images I import may only see this 3 or 4 times!

2. Sometimes I will have loaded the images in a sequence already and they are all showing correctly - then a couple will mysteriously just change to another image in the project. Same process needed to get it back...like it needs to force a reload to uncorrupt it!

3. Last time this hit me was the worst. Project done, reviewed it start to finish like 3 times...looked perfect. Exported to Encore, built DVD, transcoded and burned a DVD. When I played it - 3 pictures had changed!!!

This issue is so frustrating...this is really perplexing me...andyes, I have tried clearing the Media Cache within PP...HELP!

Thanks - Jeff

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

When this issue has bitten others, they have found that if they Open their Still Images in PS, and then just do a Save from there, the problems are usually taken care of. In PS, this operation is Actionable, and one can use the Action to process an entire folder automatically, and nearly instantly, depending on the sizes of the Images, and the power of one's computer.

At last report, Adobe was working on this issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
            Jeffery Galinovsky Level 1

Thanks but I have already tried clearing the Media Cache and that didnt solve the issue.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!

Thanks Bill - that is what I have been doing and I was hoping there was a better way. Glad to hear Adobe is working on this as this almost bit me with a client I was doing a project for. The randomness is really frustrating. Hope to hear someone from Adobe provide a status on when this will be fixed.

Thanks!

Jeff

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I believe that this bug has been fixed in Premiere Pro CS5.5. You can downlod the trial version and see for yourself.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                  jdmack01 Level 1

I have a hunch what is ahppening, though I can't say for sure.  This same problem just started happening to me as well, after never having a problem with images before.  Only one thing is different than before.  I had installed the trial version of CS5.5, and that trial just expired.  Back when I was using CS4, I installed the trial version of CS5, and when it expired, I had so many problems with Encore CS4 that I had to do a clean uninstall and reinstall to get things working again.  I realize that correlation does not equal causation, but to have unusual problems arise twice after trial versions expiring seems to be a coincidence worth exploring.

J. D.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!

J. D.

Thanks for the suggestion - but unfortunately I have not installed the CS5.5 Tial...nothing new from Adobe has been installed between the time when I used PP last where I didnt have this issue and this time. Only chnages are the peridoic Adobe Updates - had to have been introduced in a new PP Update within the last few months.

Jeff

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                      Phil Griffith Level 2

Sorry, Todd, but to me, that's like saying you bought this car but the ac don't work. However if you buy the next year model, the ac does work in it.I would think that if we purchased Premiere 5 and it's broke (even thought it's apparently random and rare) it should be something that should be looked at without forcing the customer to buy the next issue. For the record, I haven't had this problem.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                        Mitch W Adobe Employee

This a weird issue that was fixed in 5.5. The problem has to do with XMP (metadata) information not being written into the file. This can happen if the files are locked or set to Read Only and a few other strange confluence of events that I don't quite understand. However, you can fix this behavior in CS 5 by doing the following - first, make sure your files are NOT Read Only. Second, set the Premiere Prefs to Write XMP ID to files on import (Edit > Preferences > Media).  If you are still seeing the problem with those two things set correctly, delete the JPG files out of your project and then reimport them. The files should now have unique XMP ID's and will display correctly.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!

Mitch,

Awesome info - best solution I have seen yet and appears to have fixed issues, but will need to play a bit more. Although all my images were not set to read only, must have been some weird combination of other things. I am also glad to see a solution other than upgrade to CS5.5!

Thanks agian!

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                            aforetaste

Wow... this greatly sucks. I have Premiere 5.5 and I have this problem. Adobe has nicely eatten hundreds of my images from two dozen jpeg image sequences.

And, I've checked that none of the folders nor the images themselves are Read Only and I do have "write XMP ID" checked on (it's always been on, even before the initial creation of the Premiere edit).

I've also tried opening those damaged images in PSD with no luck. I get an error message from Photoshop that will claims they are corrupt and will not open them.

Now what?

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                              Mitch W Adobe Employee

Please explain what "nicely eaten" means. Are you experiencing the same problem listed above? That is, do multiple different still images appear to be the same image when you import them into Premiere Pro? If so, what version of Premiere Pro do you have? 

Will the stills open in any software? Windows Picture Viewer for example?

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                Mitch W Adobe Employee

Sorry. Apparently I need more coffee. You said you have PPro 5.5. Is it Mac or Windows version?

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                  aforetaste Level 1

Mitch,

Thanks for the reply.

A dozen or more images (jpegs) get corrupted when I import them as an image sequence into my timeline.

The files, once corrupted, will not open in anything that I can find: they will NOT open in Photoshop 5.5, Mac Preview...

When I go to render the Premiere Pro 5.5 (Mac) timeline I get an error and it stops rendering.

I'm using Mac.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                    techronu Level 1

I have the same frustrating problems listed here in Items 1, 2, 3.  Very random and not easily reproducible but enough to drive me nuts! I've done a lot of video montages using photos and videos and this problem started just over a month ago.

Not wanting to purchase the upgrade and find the problems still existed, I tried the following suggestions provided here. Hope this helps someone else. 

Cleaning the media cache didn't solve my problem but it makes sense to do it routinely anyway. 

All my files were already not READ ONLY.

Premiere Pro CS5 (Win) Preferences/Media  was already set to Write XMP ID to Files on Import.

IWhat worked for me was Bill Hunt's Helpful Answer to Open the Still images in PSE (I have Photoshop Elements 8) and Save using File/Process Multiple Files.  Images in the Project Bin that were bad corrected themselvers. I reloaded the Project Bin with only the questionable images.

Thanks to all on this Forum.

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad to hear that the "workaround" helped you.

Above, Mitch indicates that things had been addressed for PrPro 5.5, but Aforetaste indicates that the issue, or one similar, exists in their PrPro 5.5, so perhaps there is still something that needs "fixing?"

One thing that I can say a hearty "thank you" for, is Mitch's instructions. I also do many video SlideShows, but have been using an older version of PrPro. I am in the process of migrating, so am now armed with some settings that might prove useful to me, when I do.

At least for now, Adobe is listening, and reacting, and in your case, the Project is getting done. Not quite as good as "everything is fixed," but still not bad.

Thanks to Mitch for the input, and please update us, as things progress on the Adobe side,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                        aforetaste Level 1

Well, I'm sad to say that as of the CS5.5 Premiere Pro update (5.5.2 for Mac) there still is no fix for this problem.

Even if I open the Premiere Pro file with my image sequences they get corrupt immediately. I don't even have to play or render the file.

I have to go back and use my back up of the original files to replace the corrupted files only to have them immediately get corrupted again with the opening of the Premiere Pro file that contains them.

I don't know how to finish this project!

I can't render it.

Mitch, any luck with the files that I sent you?

thanks in advance,

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                          Ron in Cleveland Level 1

Jeff,

Just ran into same problem today. I imported mutiple jpgs. No matter which one I click on. same image comes up in effect window. Tried to delete and reload,, same problem, but different image loads. It's different every time.

Ron

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                            Ron in Cleveland Level 1

Well, what happens now?. PP 5.0 doesn't work. and neither does 5.5.  Apparently Adobe is telling us we cannot import still images into projects. I tried all the fixes suggested. Nothing works

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                              Mitch W Adobe Employee

Hi Ron,

If you're seeing the same image for multiple JPEGS, here's what you need to do. 1st turn on the preference to write XMP ID on import (Edit > Preferences > Media > Write XMP ID to Files on Import). Delete the .jpg files showing the problem out of the project and then reimport them. Then, do it delete and reimport them again. The 1st time will write the ID into the files. The 2nd time PPro will be able to differentiate between them because the ID for the files is now different. This issue was fixed in CS5.5 or so I am told.

If after doing the above the problem still isn't fixed, make sure that the files (or the folder that they are stored in) is NOT set to read only. If you the file permissons don't allow you to write the XMP ID, then you'll continue to have the same problem.

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Ron,

Have you tried the workaround of opening the image files in Photoshop and then resaving them from Photoshop? This has the result of writing the information such that Premiere Pro correctly imports the files.

In general, Mitch's suggestion is the better fix (being more efficient), but I have never seen the method of importing and resaving from Photoshop fail.

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                                  Ron in Cleveland Level 1

Not yet. I will try. I only have photoshop elements

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                                    Mitch W Adobe Employee

Hi Ron,

If it's not working, then something is stopping the XMP ID from being written. Right-click the folder that the files are store in and check Properties (I'm assuming you're on Windows here). Make sure the the Read Only attributes are unchecked. Now do the same for each of the .jpg files inside the folder. Once you're certain the files are not set to read only (double checking is not a bad thing), set the preference in PPro that I described. You must delete the files and reimport them to get the XMP ID written into the file. Now would be a good time to check the modified date on the files. If it's not set to seconds earlier, then you've done somethining wrong. Once you've verified the modified date is correct, delete and reimport the files from Premiere.

• 25. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!

Ron,

The above fix fixed my issue - matter of fact I am working on a project right now with tons of pics in it and no issues. I am still using CS5 and have not upgraded to 5.5, cant justify...so not sure about 5.5. However, those two elements are the critical pieces - NON-Read only files and also in a directory that is also NOT Read Only. Set the preferences and you should be set. I agree with Mitch - if that is not working, there is something preventing the images from being updated by PP. Make sure the files AND the directory are not read only.

Jeff

• 26. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                                        techronu Level 1

Ron in Cleveland,

Are you running on a MAC or PC?

I used Photoshop Elements 8 to "resave" my picture files. You can batch them and it's simple. Using version of PSE 8, go to File/Process Multiple Files and follow the instructions. Try a few files first. Then import the "saved" files. After trying a few and feeling comfortable, I went ahead and processed the whole folder (over 350 -.jpg files) into the same folder. I haven't run into the problem again. 

Techronu

• 28. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                                          Ron in Cleveland Level 1

DUDE!!!. You da man. That worked. (so far). Thank you. Please post this

cure for others. I'll let you know if any other strange bug arises, but

right now, I can open all the pictures, and they are all different .

Ron

• 29. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                                            Ron in Cleveland Level 1

Gentlemen...for what's it's worth, I tried this work around (see below) thanks to techronu...and it appeared to work. All my photos opened  correctly. I havene't tried editing  yet...but previously, all my photos opened as the same one. Thank you all in the forum who offered to help.

Sincerley,

Ron

I used Photoshop Elements 8 to "resave" my picture files. You can batch them and it's simple. Using version of PSE 8, go to File/Process Multiple Files and follow the instructions. Try a few files first. Then import the "saved" files. After trying a few and feeling comfortable, I went ahead and processed the whole folder (over 350 -.jpg files) into the same folder. I haven't run into the problem again.

Techronu

• 30. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                                              kevinkav

I use Premiere Pro 5.3 on a PC with Photoshop CS5 and have tried all these fixes and still nothing is working.  Files have been renamed, removed from the project re-imported, all folders have been made "read only" and still the image files are duplicating and now with different thumbnails than the monitor display.  What is wrong and why is there now remedy in the form of a software update to fix this bug??

• 31. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!
                                                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Pro 5.3?  Are you sure about that version number?  There is 5.5.2 and 5.0.3, but no 5.3.

-Jeff

• 32. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 corrupting images!