10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2011 1:35 AM by John Hawkinson

I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!

casa.riehn@arcor.de

Hi everybody,

I'm not used to work with InDesign, I only have to check a big problem: I'm a translator and have been working the last 4 weeks on a InDesing-Projekt from German into Italian. I changed the format of the files from .indd into .idml an imported the three files into my Computer-Assisted-Translation Ptrogram DejaVu. I've been working well till now. Now I tried to export the first File and wanted to open the .idml file with Indesign... The program began to work, but then came a warning "syntax error". Please, is there anybody who knows the program better than I (the agency which should know everything about this kind of files gives up at the first problem)??? This is very important to me. I speak german an italian very good, my english is rudimental....

Thank yopu and have a good day (tel. +49-(0)9208 588316)

Alessandra

• 1. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Is the syntax error from InDesign?

Or is it from DejaVu?

Does it give a line number or any more details?

Did you edit the IDML file after it was originally exported from InDesign?

When you say "changed format" you used File > Export, you did not simply rename the file, right?

IDML files are just zip files. You can open it up and edit designmap.xml and comment out most of the file and see if it still works, and then carefully narrow down the cause of the problem.

• 2. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!
            casa.riehn@arcor.de Level 1

Hi John,

I needed to send you the file, because I don't understand what you mean with opening the zip file and so on...

The error message os only by InDesign (CS5), DVX gives no error message.

I expperted the -indd file into .idml format on the right way, not only changing the extension....

Do you mean, you can help me?

Ciao

Alessandra

Message was edited by: casa.riehn@arcor.de

• 3. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!
              John Hawkinson Level 5

The first of the IDML files you emailed me opens fine in CS5 7.0.4.

The second one causes an InDesign protective shutdown though.

Have you updated to 7.0.4?

What is the difference between the two files?

• 4. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!

Hi John, the first one is the file that I've imported in my CAT Program (DejaVu), the second one is my translated file, which I've exported from DejaVu und wanted to open in Indesign. DejaVu didn't give me any errore message, so I don't know why InDesign doesn't want to open it. I think something must go wrong with InDesign, but what? Something in the graphic part of the file?

Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen  -  Cordiali saluti

Dott.ssa Alessandra Carboni Riehn

• 5. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  I think something must go wrong with InDesign, but what? Something in the graphic part of the file?

Well, I don't know how hard this is to do in DejaVu, but if you were using Trados, I'd say - why don't you remove from the source whatever you think might be causing the problem, then export a fresh idml and re-apply your TM to the fresh idml? Embedded graphics, for example, can make a wide variety of CAT tools throw a fit.

• 6. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Sorry for the delay, I had a lot of other stuff going on today. This kind of work is somewhat laborious so I put it off.

I needed to send you the file, because I don't understand what you mean with opening the zip file and so on...

An IDML file is just a .ZIP archive of a bunch of XML files.

In this case, it turns out the problem is pretty obvious. Some story files, instead of containing valid XML, contain "MATTONELLE".

Like this, in the Terminal on Mac OS X, but substitute as appropriate for Windows:

$ ls -ld *idml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff  4986668 Jun 16 12:26 KK_Preisliste 2011_1-120.idml
                    -rw-r--r--  1 user    staff  4892339 Jun 17 00:57 KK_Preisliste 2011_1-120_it.idml
                    $ mkdir KK
                    $ cd KK
                    $ unzip ../KK_Preisliste\ 2011_1-120_it.idml 
                    Archive:  ../KK_Preisliste 2011_1-120_it.idml
                      inflating: Stories/Story_u1fb7.xml  
                      inflating: Stories/Story_u2752.xml  
                      inflating: Stories/Story_u2ac2.xml  
                      inflating: Stories/Story_u31ce.xml  
                      inflating: Stories/Story_u51ea.xml  
                      inflating: Stories/Story_u208c.xml  
                      inflating: Stories/Story_u3787.xml  
                      inflating: Spreads/Spread_u34f2.xml  
                      inflating: Stories/Story_uc2f.xml  
                    $ ls -l Stories/ | head
                    total 52712
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff     4823 Jun  7 21:24 Story_u1009.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff     6259 Jun  7 21:24 Story_u1025.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff     4862 Jun  7 21:24 Story_u1040.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff     4874 Jun  7 21:24 Story_u1061.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff     4854 Jun  7 21:25 Story_u107d.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff     1638 Jun  7 21:25 Story_u1093.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff     1033 Jun  7 21:20 Story_u10aa.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff      865 Jun  7 21:20 Story_u10c0.xml
                    $ ls -l Stories/ | sort  -k 4  | head
                    total 52712
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff       10 Jun  7 21:09 Story_u2a4f.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff       67 Jun  7 21:10 Story_u2df8.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff      864 Jun  7 21:08 Story_u3cf.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff      864 Jun  7 21:08 Story_u573.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff      864 Jun  7 21:20 Story_u646.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff      864 Jun  7 21:20 Story_u9b9.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff      864 Jun  7 21:20 Story_ud0d.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff      864 Jun  7 21:21 Story_u33a.xml
                    -rw-r--r--@ 1 user    staff      864 Jun  7 21:21 Story_u5ab.xml
                    $ cat Stories/Story_u2a4f.xml
                    MATTONELLE$ 
                    $ cat Stories/Story_u2df8.xml 
                    Mattonella a cornice X con struttura, ponte di collegamento interno$ 
                    $ 
                    $ cat Stories/Story_u3cf.xml 
                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
                    <idPkg:Story xmlns:idPkg="http://ns.adobe.com/AdobeInDesign/idml/1.0/packaging" DOMVersion="7.0">
                         <Story Self="u3cf" AppliedTOCStyle="n" TrackChanges="false" StoryTitle="$ID/" AppliedNamedGrid="n">
                              <StoryPreference OpticalMarginAlignment="false" OpticalMarginSize="12" FrameType="TextFrameType" StoryOrientation="Horizontal" StoryDirection="LeftToRightDirection"/>
                              <InCopyExportOption IncludeGraphicProxies="true" IncludeAllResources="false"/>
                              <ParagraphStyleRange AppliedParagraphStyle="ParagraphStyle/$ID/[No paragraph style]">
                                   <CharacterStyleRange AppliedCharacterStyle="CharacterStyle/$ID/[No character style]" FontStyle="Light">
                                        <Properties>
                                             <AppliedFont type="string">DaxPro</AppliedFont>
                                        </Properties>
                                   </CharacterStyleRange>
                              </ParagraphStyleRange>
                         </Story>
                    </idPkg:Story>
                    $ 

So, it's probably obvious what you should do with your tool to fix these...

u3cf is an example of a normal file. I sort the files by file size to find the ones that are far too small to be normal XML.

• 8. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!

Hi John,

sorry for not answering, but the days here are full and your e-mail was in my spam-folder??!!

What you found aut is the same that a guy told me, who is working with DTP and such complicated programs. I told Atril that I have this problem: they mean, it's impossible that DejaVu has done it itself, so I have done something that causes this problem in the two rows. I don't think so, I've been looking for errors in the two rows, but there aren't codes or so - Only text, and I only have translated it. My question now is: how can I repare such a defect row? This would help me. And if I unzip the InDesign file to look at the stories of the single files, how can I get the whole file readable back?

Thank you for your help hand have a good weekend!

Alessandra

• 9. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Hi, Alessandra.

If you only edited the IDML file in DejaVu, it's pretty clear DejaVu is at fault. Hopefully you can send the file to their tech support and they can explain it.

My question now is: how can I repare such a defect row?

Two ways: (1) You can copy the story file from your untranslated IDML file into your translated IDML file, perhaps translating hte content as well. Or (2) you can just delete the story files from the IDML file and InDesign will just not process those stories. then you can fix the missing text in InDesign.

. And if I unzip the InDesign file to look at the stories of the single files, how can I get the whole file readable back?

Calling IDML files "InDesign file"s will just confuse people -- reserve the term for INDD files, pleae.

How do you zip it back up? Well, you use zip of course! If you extract an IDML file into a folder of its own and cd to that folder, then you can just run zip -r ../newfile.idml * and that will add all files in the current folder (directory) to newfile.idml.

Alternatively, if you just want to delete a storiy, you can use zip -d KK_Preisliste\ 2011_1-120_it.idml Stories/Story_u2a4f.xml to dele the u2a4f story from the idml file.

• 10. Re: I need help to open an .idml file after translating it with Dejavu!

Hi John, thank you so much. You see, I'm "only" a translator", not a PC-expert. I really hate such complicated things, I always think: my god, now I'm destroying my job! But I understand what you've written, so I will try to do that and hope that the silly graphic girl, who couldn't read my file, will be happy about the work that I've done at her place. I'm thrilled to see what Atril will say about all this **** (excuse my terminology...).

Thank you again and good weekend

Alessandra