9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 1:57 PM by shooternz

Black bars....

cmw88

So, I watched the Black Bars how-to video, but I still can't get it right.

If I press reveal in project I get this: 480x272 (1.0) and when I press sequence settings I get this: 720x576 , so they obviously don't match.

I tried scaling the clip, but it didn't work, I still got black bars and the quality became very reduced. So what to do?

How do I get the sequence setting to match the project, which I'm assuming is the problem here...

• 1. Re: Black bars....
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

new item icon.png

• 2. Re: Black bars....
            cmw88 Level 1

OK, but when I do that, the clip gets a new tab on the timeline, I want all the clips on the same tab, same timeline.

• 3. Re: Black bars....

To set up your timeline you do this only ones. Then fill the newly created timeline with the other clips.

This might be of some help:

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-premiere-pro-cs5/

• 4. Re: Black bars....
                cmw88 Level 1

I tried that, and uploaded it. Still has black bars on the sides, and I know the original video does not have this. I'm giving up!

• 5. Re: Black bars....
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Source Files, and the Sequence created by PrPro?

Also, does the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of the two match?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Black bars....
                    cmw88 Level 1

If I press reveal in project I get this: 480x272 (1.0) and when I press sequence settings I get this: 720x576

That was on one of the clips.

On the pixel aspect ratio I get 'square pixels 1.0' on a lot of the clips. But some of my clips are 4:3, and some 16:9.

On the clip to right you can see how one format ended up being.

screen2.jpg

And this is another. They're all very different for some reason. Some only have bars on the sides...

screen.jpg

• 7. Re: Black bars....
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If I press reveal in project I get this: 480x272 (1.0) and when I press sequence settings I get this: 720x576

On the pixel aspect ratio I get 'square pixels 1.0' on a lot of the clips. But some of my clips are 4:3, and some 16:9.

Those mis-matches, the Frame Size, and also the PAR, are the cause of the black bars. The Frame Size for black bars all around, and the PAR for the top & bottom, or sides only (Letterboxing, or Pillarboxing).

One option would be to use a Sequence Setting for the majority of the Clips, and then to either use Scale to Default Frame Size (or similar syntax), or adjust the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, plus perhaps Motion>Position, as some of the Clips will probably be cropped a bit by the Frame Size, so you might want to nudge them around to allow that cropping to take place in acceptable areas of your Clip, say cropping off one side only, and not cropping both.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Black bars....

You have all sorts of dimensions so its obvoious they wont all fit.

What is the final destination of your project so we can figure out what your settings should be.

What is the dimension of the largest clip and what of the smallest clip?

• 9. Re: Black bars....
                          shooternz Level 6
                          OK, but when I do that, the clip gets a new tab on the timeline, I want all the clips on the same tab, same timeline.

As regards that issue.  You can rename the Sequence (done in the Project Window)  and of course use that as your edit sequence for the rest of your clips.