4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 4:34 AM by w_rijnen

Grep XML label-brackets

w_rijnen Level 1

Dear friends,

is it possible to GREP an XML-label, to be more specific an opening or closing bracket?

I could not find it inside the GREP find dialog, maybe there's a hidden one?

Hope you guys and girls can help out!

Sincerely, Wouter

• 1. Re: Grep XML label-brackets
          John Hawkinson Level 5

XML and GREP don't get along. (Much like most people and XML. Poor XML, simultaneously the kid no one wants to play with and also the kid everyone wants to play with and applaud and push forward onto the stage).

You can export your story as a snippet and edit the snippet in a text editor...

I think there is very limited support for finding some XML marker characters in GREP searches, but that trying to use them will only end in failure.

• 2. Re: Grep XML label-brackets
            w_rijnen Level 1

To bad!

Let's fail this joint!

Now just a while without crazyness (free translation of a dutch saying)

To bad that can't work out. Or ends up in failure though...

Thanks for your quick reply!

Maybe a lost scriptwriter/app builder stumbles along and thinks of a great way to be able to do this.

Who knows! perhaps even Adobe has some tricks up their sleeve for CS6 or 7.5 ;-)

• 3. Re: Grep XML label-brackets
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Perhaps you could tell us more about your goal. With screenshots.

• 4. Re: Grep XML label-brackets
                w_rijnen Level 1

I was trying to find variables inside different labeled texts, but with those XML brackets in between i couldn't find the whole lot.

So we did it in steps and had to fix some double changed words.

From st -> stuks -> ststuks back to stuks (it's like per piece -> pieces)

And some other inconsistent units.

Not a head breaker, but it would have been nice to do it in one or two tries.

Thanks anyway John!

Greetings from a cloudy Holland