5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 1:55 AM by Pauld_123

Reader Update 9.4.5

Pauld_123 Level 1

Hi,

Trying to do the upgrade from 9.4.4 to 9.4.5 using  AdbeRdrUpd945_all_incr.msp,  but the installation fails asking for  AcroRead.msi.

This should not normally be required for an update?

Any ideas please?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Reader Update 9.4.5
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

The installer is asking for the cached files on your system which are required for the update to be installed. They are generally cached by the Windows Installer at C:\Windows\Installer\XXXXX.msi. The setup files are also cached at the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Setup Files.

Unless you have deleted both of the above manually, the message should not be displayed.

Could you let me know if thats the case?

If you need to install Reader 9.4.5 patch, you will need to:

1. Provide it with the file AcroRead.msi which can be obtained by downloading the AdbeRdr940_en_US.exe from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/AdbeRdr940_en_US.exe

2. Create a temporary folder anywhere on your system. Note the path of the same. (eg. C:\TempDir)

3. Extract the contents of the same by typing the below on the Command Prompt: [Start > Run > cmd (Hit Enter)]

AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi -nos_o"C:\TempDir" -nos_ne

4. Now try applying the 9.4.5 patch (i.e. AdbeRdrUpd945_all_incr.msp). When prompted for the file AcroRead.msi provide the path of the extracted contents (i.e. C:\TempDir\AcroRead.msi)

This should hopefullu resolve your issue.

Ankit

• 2. Re: Reader Update 9.4.5
            Pauld_123 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Ankit,

I'll give it a try, but for some reason, none of the systems that have been through the recent updates (... 9.4.3, 9.4.4...)  have the AcroRead.msi in any location, and we have not been removing them manually.

I also understood that an update should not require these files by default.  If I remember correctly, this has happened before in the past and the update was re-released?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Reader Update 9.4.5
              Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

Please do give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Can you please let me know, how is it that reader 9.4.0 was installed in the first place? Was it done via a network deployment or was it done manually on each system using the Web Installer?

As far as I remember, the issue that you are referring to was regarding the case wherein Acrobat was not able to print to a specific printer. Hence, Adobe had released a new patch fixing the same.

Anyhow, the patch installer will always look for the cached MSI since, it needs to know which files are supposed to be updated, and the information for the same is located within the MSI used for installing the base product.

Regards

Ankit

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Reader Update 9.4.5
                Pauld_123 Level 1

9.4 was installed manually, but from a config built using the Customization Wizard.

Interesting that all previous updates, 9.4.1, 9.4.2, 9.4.3 & 9.4.4 have work OK though?

I have the extracted files used for the Customization Wizard install, so I created a folder with all these and the 9.4.5 update in it.  9.4.5 then runs OK.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Reader Update 9.4.5
                  Pauld_123 Level 1

Hi Ankit,

Think I have worked out what the problem was.

Our original custom install of 9.4 had exluded some ARM files.  It looks like the 9.4.5 update wants to update these files, so if they are not found, it requires the original install files to extract them.  On standard installs where nothing had been disabled or removed, the 9.4.5 update does not require access to the original .MSI  & .CAB etc.

Thanks for your help though