2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2006 2:49 AM by Ratherbesurfing

Fireworks 2004 Corrupt file please help

Ratherbesurfing
      I've spent allot of hours on a particular png document. when I came to open the file in Fireworks the next day, I go the dreaded "Could not open the file Unknown file type" message. Huh! Please help! really not wanting to re-create this file from scratch!.

I have also tried opening the file in other programs that can open pngs (photoshop, illustrator, freehand etc ) with no avail.

win xp sp2
        • 1. Re: Fireworks 2004 Corrupt file please help
          Level 7
          cylon wrote:
          > I've spent allot of hours on a particular png document. when I came to open the
          > file the next day I go the dreaded "Could not open the file Unknown file type"
          > message. Please help! am gonna go nuts if I have to re-create this. Have spent
          > hours googling tools to repair corrupt files and tried opening the file in
          > every other program that can open pngs (photoshop, illustrator, freehand etc )
          > with no avail.

Try deleting the Fireworks Preferences.txt. That will restore all
          program defaults the next time you load FW. If that doesn't do it, check
          for missing or corrupted fonts.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Fireworks 2004 Corrupt file please help
            Ratherbesurfing Level 1
            Hi Lina,

Thank you for taking the time to help with this. Unfortunately carrying out what you suggested had no effect, I'm just going to the shed to get a big hammer ;)
            It's doing something ever stranger now when I try and open the file...It's asking for a password (to a site I have worked on in the pas...very odd)

Kind Regards,
            Darren