9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 11:52 AM by the_wine_snob

Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)

mark4man Level 1

well folks...

i'm really in trouble

i moved sony vegas (8.0) from my office pc to my recording/mastering studio's audio pc...(w/ it's quad IV cpu & tons of RAM)

& now...after moving along quite nicely...all of a sudden the project video screen (lower right) went completely RED...& the project doesn't repond to ANY controls...!!!...seized up tighter than a duck's protuberance.

(just like it did on my office pc)

I rebooted the machine, but that didnt help

so...i'll never make my deadline...on a very important dynamic photo montage i'm constructing for my brother's 50th wedding anniversay...so:

I know premier pro is wonderful for movie editing/creating...but...can it do a dynamic photo montage...???...the kind where one photo image transistions to the next...(w/ music)...& if so...does it have great transition effects & fades & text features (for that job) such as scrolling titles, etc...???

if not...can someone recommend me a program that DOES (in the vein of sony vegas)...???

thanx,

mark4man

• 1. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, PrPro is quite capable of doing what you describe.

Now, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the stills being used, and what is their format?

What is your Sequence Preset?

What will be your output format/scheme?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
            rproulxmtl Level 1

mark4man wrote:

...can someone recommend me a program that DOES (in the vein of sony vegas)...?

Have you checked out Photodex ProShow Gold ? It's very easy to use and the learning curve is very short. It'll even automate a show for you if you just describe the energy level you want and it will then put in all the transitions for you. I tried using Encore to make a slideshow but it was sooo slow to work with I gave up. I haven't tried PPro to make a slideshow so perhaps it's good. I just know that I was able to put together a show with PSG very quickly.

Russell

• 3. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
              mark4man Level 1

bill...

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Yes, PrPro is quite capable of doing what you describe.

thanx

Now, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the stills being used, and what is their format?

i scanned still photos (mostly 6"W X 4"H) in at 600 dpi & slides in at 3200 dpi (to roughly match dimension/ resolution ratio)...so...I have some lattitiude w/ my pix X pix.  i AM however, looking to output in 16/9, so it looks good on wide screen.

What is your Sequence Preset?

10 seconds per image & 5 seconds per transition

What will be your output format/scheme?

this i'm not sure of.  like mentioned above, i gave myself a lot of pixels to work with & my goal is to have it be big enough to be viewed on my 46" LED flat screen HD TV (without having up-interpolation pixelation).  after that i'm lost...i'm pretty certain it has to go on a dvd for typical players but am not sure which would be the more universal file format.

rproulxmtl...

Have you checked out Photodex ProShow Gold ?

no, but i will...thanx

mark4man

• 4. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
                Pijetro Level 1

I believe most systems would choke at the scan rate you're describing..

Remember, even HD has a limit of 1920x1080 pixels, so you don't need to go overkill on the stills....

Hope that helps...

• 5. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, as has been stated, there is zero reason for working with Images above 1920 x 1080 (full HD), and DPI/PPI are meaningless for video.

This ARTICLE will give you some background and some tips on using still images.

There is nothing to be gained from shoving around a bunch of pixels, that cannot be used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
                    mark4man Level 1

i got it...i got it...!!!

so...this 1st screen shot is from an old scanned print; & you can see both pix X pix & document size:

pixXpix.jpg

obviously if i uncheck Resample Image...i can't change the pixel dimensions...so I simply did this:
                    pixXpix2.jpg

so...is this now my optimum pixel dimensions for HD...(for that particular shot)...???

AND...it's OK that the document size differed (down to 2.283" X 1.8") while remaining at 600ppi...for HD...???

(see...i always assumed that, because there are a gazillion pixels on my 46" LED HD TV...I had to make my scan resolution as great as possible to fill that screen)...& you two are telling me that, because the pix dimension width is now 1080...that shot won't look pixelated (up-sampled) when the movie is played on an HD TV...???

if so...i'm good w/ the info you've given me (actually, great).

thanx a gazillion,

mark4man

• 7. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As the PPI, or DPI Resolution of the stills is immaterial to video, I would just Scale the pixel x pixel Dimensions to ~ 1920 x 1080.* Let the Resolution go to whatever the mathematical equivilant of the Dimension change gives you.

Now, the Aspect Ratio of your example Image is 1.2685 and the Aspect Ratio of the HD Project's Frame Size is 1.77777, so you will want to keep your Aspect Ratio (so as to not distort the Image in any way. By my math, this would be 1920 x 1514. As the Video Frame Size is 1920 x 1080, you can see that you have more pixels in the height, than that Frame Size: 1080 vs 1514, so some cropping in the height will take place. This can be handled with the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, and you can choose to effectively crop off the top, the bottom or some of both. You are basically moving your still image around behind a 1920 x 1080 "aperture."

* As you do not have that many extra pixels (no heavy overhead on resources), and also have CS5, or CS5.5, I would not even bother doing the Scaling in PS. Your images will be just fine. Then Import them into PrPro, into an HD Sequence (you do want to go out to HD, say with a BD, don't you? **), and use the Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale (to get the size exactly right for the 1920 dimension, and Motion>Position for the effective cropping of the height to 1080. The Scale algorithms in PrPro CS5 and above, are excellent, and the amount of Scale is insignificant.

Now, if you need the full image, with no cropping of the height, you can match the Scale to the 1080 dimension, and then you'll have black bars on the sides, as you will only have 1370 pixels in the width.

** If you need to output to an SD delivery, like DVD-Video, you would do that with Export, and need to adjust the math a bit, depending on whether you needed Standard (4:3) or Widescreen(16:9). With SD, the Standard or Widescreen are produced with non-square pixels (PAR, Pixel Aspect Ratio, not to be confused with Aspect Ratio), and you probably have square pixels in your still images.

The Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale is equal to a Zoom in PrPro, and Motion>Position is equal to a Pan. They can be animated via Keyframes, or can be used statically, just to adjust the Scale or the Position.

A side note: the Aspect Ratio of your still images is a bit odd. Did these images come from a camera, or from a program, such as a 3D, or screen-cap program?

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
                        Stanley Arthur Level 3

I used to have lots of problems making slide shows in PPro and Encore, until I learned how to batch resize my photos to dimensions that matched my video project in Photoshop. Never had a problem since.

• 9. Re: Can Premier Pro Do This...???...(need help w/ FAST photo montage!)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

Like you, I always Scale my images in PS first, and have never had one issue, even with mega-Projects, like my 19 Sequence, 8.5 hour opus, with 3000+ SD (720 x 480) Images, and tons of other Assets.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt