11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 10:08 AM by Mitch W

Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere

jeclark2006

Both After Effects and Premiere in my opinion 'suffer' on using such effects as Curves and Levels, relative to the current Photoshop interface for the equivalent function.

In After Effects it seems that Curves is the only effect that one can use Photoshop Curves on a captured still, then use the saved preset in an adjustment layer in After Effects.

Is there anything similar for Premiere?

• 1. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not seen such, but then do all of my Image editing in PS. AE and PrPro handle stills differently, so there might not be any cross-over with PS and PrPro. However, as of CS5, and the support for CUDA, PrPro has improved many things that can affect (or be used with) stills. With CUDA, PrPro can do some things even better than PS, at least up to CS5.

Maybe Todd, or Kevin can comment directly on the use of PS Adjustment Layers in PrPro CS5.5?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
            jeclark2006 Level 1

To clarify...

I'm not refering to using an 'adjustment layer' from Photoshop, but to use a preset created in Photosohp...

I'll give an example.

Take a still from some video media... use the Phtoshop "curves" adjustment, and adjust the image to the desired look. Save the Curves preset. That produces a file somethinng like 'mycurves.acv'.

Then in After Effects, with the original video meida in a composition, use the 'New->AdjustmentLayer', to create an empty AE adjustment layer. Then use the effects panel to select the 'curves' effect, and in that dialog window there is the option to select a preset. Navigate where the Photoshop preset was saved,

and import the preset...

This works...

In Premiere there does not seem to be any method to do this for the equivalent video effect 'curves'.

Further, for After Effects, there doesn't seem to be a similar option for importing Photoshop Levels 'presets', or any other of the effects that could conceivibly be 'similar' that Photoshop has.

• 3. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
              Mitch W Adobe Employee

There are no adjustment layers in Premiere Pro (good feature request though!) If you're looking for a curves effect, there's the RGB curves effect in the video effects panel under the color correction folder. You can save the settings you make there as an effect preset, but that probably as close as you're going to get. You can't import or use Photoshop effect presets in Premiere Pro.

• 4. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
                jeclark2006 Level 1

Yes, the thing is I find the Photoshop 'curves' interface to be better than either After Effects, or Premiere... The graphs are much smaller in these programs, and features such as 'nudging' the values up, down, right or left, with the arrow keys, along with seeing the histogram in 'grey' in the background, helps...

So, where does one put in a 'feature' request?

• 6. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
                  shooternz Level 6

You can save any of the FX in Premiere as a Preset

including Curves.  That preset make your setting reuseable as you wish

The tool that is mainly used for CC and Grade in video is  the waveform monitor and not the histogram.

With Curves you can interface directly with the curve and there is no need to nudge arrows.

If you want to use Photoshop for your purpose on a still...go there and do so.

Plenty of options

• 7. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
                    jeclark2006 Level 1

While I would agree that using curves for 'color correction' with an eye for 'broadcast', using the waveform monitors is useful.

But for 'creative' LUT manipulation, looking at the curves, and being able to adjust the input to output at a given point by one 'value' at a time, via a 'nudge' operation, is also useful.

The use of taking selected frames as stills out of a video clip, using Photoshop to manipulate effects, may for some people be 'easier' than looking at the effects on the various monitors.

Since After Effects does have this one instance where Photoshop and AE 'collaborate', it seems this has occured to someone else as well.

To be sure, these days I could take my media clips, import them into the Photoshop animation timeline feature and apply all manner of processing that is either not available or more difficult to do within Premiere...

But I think Premiere is a better place to process moving pictures, and would be even better with such a preset import feature.

• 8. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
                      shooternz Level 6
                      may for some people be 'easier' than looking at the effects on the various monitors.

Use of  an HQ reference monitor is fundamental to CC and Grading video.

• 9. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
                        Mitch W Adobe Employee

Another option would be to use dynamic link to take your Premiere Pro footage into After Effects and then use your Photoshop curves preset on the footage there. The results will then automatically be applied to the linked comp in PPro.

• 10. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
                          jeclark2006-XW2knV

I've experimented recently with that. The one issue I have, and perhaps this is an operational issue, is it seems when I link a sequence to AE, then process the compostion in AE to my satisfaction, including rendering... when I come back to Premiere and 'render'... it re-renders... I think I also tried 'precomposition' in AE as well, with the same result when I returned to Premiere...

Is there some way to inform Premiere that a 'rendered' version is available... and where to pick it up... Sort of like in Encore, and one can indicate the material has already been encoded...

• 11. Re: Use of Photoshop Presets in Premiere
                            Mitch W Adobe Employee

It depends on what sequence preset you've selected, but all-in-all it doesn't really matter. The rendered previews in PPro are only for smooth playback in the app when required (and are typically I-frame only MPEG). They have nothing to do with your final output.