2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 4:24 PM by PMarzin

Memory increase using app-storage....

PMarzin

Hi!

I'm working on an application that stores pictures in a directory. I was using ApplicationDirectory, which I discovered is a bad practice.

To access my pics, I used to use:

baseDestinationDirPath = "app:/Images". My program uses about 17Mo of memory, runs fast, but will encounter security errors in the future.

If I try to use ApplicationStorageDirectory (I copy files to applicationStorageDirectory):

baseDestinationDirPath = "app-storage:/Images", memory cranks up to 323Mo !!! and the app runs verrrry slowly.

What's the point???

Please help.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Memory increase using app-storage....
          Peter Blazejewicz Level 4

Hi,

app-storage is AIR dedicated storage directory (exact location depends on OS version) - but it should not be tied to memory share that application takes/request/uses at runtime. Are you able to repeat that behavior? (so, now your images are in app-storage directory, application starts and use them - what is memory share per application?)

regards,

Peter

• 2. Re: Memory increase using app-storage....
            PMarzin Level 1

Hi Peter,

and thanks for answering. I don't exactly understand what you call "memory share". Maybe I didn't explain my problem right. Let's be more precise:

I've written this app using Air SDK and run it under Vista64. It uses some pics, and user can add some, kind of a gallery to make it simple.

One of my classes accesses thes pics, and performs simple operations (resizing, thumbnail generation, basic treatment,...).

Everything was OK until I decided to use App-storage instead of App directory.(At first, I wasn't aware of the security problems raised by writing ApplicationDirectory).

When I just change one line of code (baseDestinationDirPath = "app:/Images" to baseDestinationDirPath = "app-storage:/Images", the app starts running very slow and memory usage changes from 17Mo to 323Mo! Same problem wether I use a profiler or install and run my app.

I just tried to run both versions under Ubuntu 11.04: same memory problem (+ I get a security-error when trying to write to app-storage...). Under Linux I can't profile it, but my app is MUCH slower...

I really don't understand why using app-storage instead of app can alter performance so dramatically! I guess it shouldn't... I 'm trying to use different profilers to try to understand the problem, but I'm not experienced enough.

Thanks for your help!