20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 11:52 AM by MikeGondek

Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am on ID CS5 Win7 and when exporting to PDF smallest file size get this message. I bought the font form Comicraft and used it before In Ilustrator without probolem, but this is my first time using the font in InDesign.

Untitled-1.jpg

Now I am just trying to send a pdf for client review, and can probably find a way to bitmap the pages font. My main concern will be how can I make a pdf-X for final printing?

• 1. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Contact the font manufacturer and ask them why the font is restricted against embedding, and if they have an embeddable version for an additional fee.

If the font cannot be embedded, you can't use it in the PDF unless your printer also has the font, and if they ask for PDF/X it's a good bet tehy don't want to be messing around with loading fonts and their preflight will reject the file.

• 2. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
            Joel Cherney Level 5
            Contact the font manufacturer and ask them why the font is restricted against embedding, and if they have an embeddable version for an additional fee.

Ask the first half of the question before you ask the second half of the question. In the last decade, I have found exactly one font that had the no-embed flag set on purpose. Outside of that single instance, the flag has been set accidentally by someone who didn't know exactly what they were doing. Ask 'em directly: orders@comicbookfonts.com. Their license doesn't say anything specifically about embedding fonts in PDF or not. However, they're selling webfonts, so they can't be that opposed to the idea of font embedding in PDFs.

• 3. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
              Joel Cherney Level 5

Whoops! I was a bit fast with the copy/paste. Head here instead:

http://www.comicraft.com/contact.html

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
                tman69 Level 3

simplest solution---convert font to outlines--export PDF--close file without saving - so font will revert to live text for future editing

• 5. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the font has restrictions against embedding, the license might also have a restriction about converting it to outlines!

Remember, fonts are software, and they do come with a License Agreement. Outlining the font might not be allowed under the terms of the agreement.

And converting to outlines is not a good solution and should only be explored when all other avenues have been exhausted.

• 6. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

tman69 wrote:

simplest solution---convert font to outlines--export PDF--close file without saving - so font will revert to live text for future editing

Aside from licensing issues mentioned by Eugene, converting type to outlines inside the ID file before export will cause you to lose all bullets and numbers that are auto-generated in lists, underlines and paragraph rules, anchored objects and footnotes, and I've probably forgotten some stuff.

Further, the size of the PDF will balloon, making it unsuitable for online use, and it will become unsearchable, seriously limiting its usability in may cases.

• 7. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

tman69 wrote:

Othe comments aside, the simplest solution is find another font. Your suggestion is a disaster waiting to happen, IMO.

Bob

• 8. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

I contacted Comicraft, and found this page to be helpful http://www.comicbookfonts.com/contact/license.html?sid=0001EV6Fec4aJdsZQk2d4e4.

Every agency I work at always sends out the fonts to the jobs, and all the printers in their specs ask for fonts to be sent. Even though I have worked in the industry sine 1985 and lloked into thsi before, I still don't feel that I know EXACTLY what ALL the rules are on font liscensing.

Anyone else have any more links or information on font liscensing and issues like outlining fonts, embedding in PDFs, or even converting to .otf crossfplatform with fontlab, etc. As I am getting more work for my personal business, looks like I have more to do than just buy one font liscence.

• 9. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

Font licensing is no different than any other software license.

Each allows for different levels of use.

Bob

• 10. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

This is on the FAQ page:

By purchasing a font, how am I entitled to use it? Are there any  restrictions for using your fonts on my comic book/website/other design  job?

Purchase of a font grants you a license to use it for personal, business or distributed projects on up to 5 computers. Click here to see our full license agreement. Basically, as long as the font files  themselves stay on your computer(s), and/or the fonts are not editable  or useable via a website or some other interactive experience, you can  use them for whatever job or purpose you like.

For print output, we recommend you "Create outlines" on the final files  you deliver, which converts the lettering to vector outlines so that  font files are not necessary for output. If a publisher or editor wants  to be able to make changes on their end, or use the fonts for any other  purpose, they will need to purchase their own license.

If you need to install or use the fonts on more than 5 computers, you  may obtain additional licenses at a substantial discount. The discount  structure and instructions are posted on our checkout page.

I would continue to press them about font embeddability, and if they are not willing to allow embed for print in a PDF workflow, I'm with Bob -- find another font.

• 11. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

Comicraft replied back sayng that their fonts can be embedded. I believe my problem is that I converted the font to PC and Fontlab turned that option on by default for a .ttf font. Unfortunately looking into their liscening agreements I cannot convert their fonts to another platform, so will have to convert this ID file over to mac and work on my slower older mac system to  finish off this client approved job.

I was surprised  to find out that Comicraft allows

Once a design is approved for release I need to send this to a printer to print. 
                              Can I?

1. Send a copy of a font to a printer only so they can image the file? This is what most all printers request, only very few accept  PDF-X.
                              2. Embed the font into a PDF, and send the PDF?
                              3. Outline the font and send this legally (hate to do this cause file size gets so large, and occasionally I  have them do small type changes).

RESPONSE: Any of those options are fine. If you send the fonts, please remind them to delete them when the job is finished.
                                thanks!

This probably differs per vendor, but wanted to share what I found out.

• 12. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

The client already approved and really like font.

• 13. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

Mike Gondek2 wrote:

Comicraft replied back sayng that their fonts can be embedded. I believe my problem is that I converted the font to PC and Fontlab turned that option on by default for a .ttf font. Unfortunately looking into their liscening agreements I cannot convert their fonts to another platform, so will have to convert this ID file over to mac and work on my slower older mac system to  finish off this client approved job.

I was surprised  to find out that Comicraft allows

Once a design is approved for release I need to send this to a printer to print. 
                                  Can I?

1. Send a copy of a font to a printer only so they can image the file? This is what most all printers request, only very few accept  PDF-X.
                                  2. Embed the font into a PDF, and send the PDF?
                                  3. Outline the font and send this legally (hate to do this cause file size gets so large, and occasionally I  have them do small type changes).

RESPONSE: Any of those options are fine. If you send the fonts, please remind them to delete them when the job is finished.
                                    thanks!

This probably differs per vendor, but wanted to share what I found out.

That's seems in direct contradiction to the information on the FAQ page.  I did see on the site that they would sell you a version for the new platform for 20% of your original cost -- I'd opt to get an OpenType version.

• 14. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
                                    southeastpolk

I have same issue with AddCityBoy font. I have created outlines in document, but still get error when creating PDF. Will the error go away if I have created outlines? Or, is the program still alerting me as the font is in my document.

I am unsure how to test as I have the font and the PDF appears correct to me.

As suggested, I will make contact with font company and see if embedding is an option.

• 15. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
                                      garyf1748457 Level 1

An easy solution is to export the page as a high-res JPG and then plug that into a brand new PDF.  The JPG will export everything without restriction.  Sometimes even legitimate fonts cause problems, and this gets around them all.

• 16. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

You opened a 4-year old thread to post this?

I'm sure you meant well but that is NOT a good solution at all. If the font won't embed you need to find another font. There is no sense converting everything into a JPG to put it back into a PDF.

• 17. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

And what do you mean by High Res? To match the quality of a real font on an offset press you'd need at least 2400 PPI, and I doubt the RIP would process a raster that large without automatically downsampling, defeating the purpose.

• 18. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
                                            garyf1748457 Level 1

Was researching a different font issue and stumbled upon this one.  Figured others might find it too.

It's not the best solution, but it's been handy in a pinch when a PDF must be the end format.

• 19. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF
                                              garyf1748457 Level 1

> And what do you mean by High Res? To match the quality of a real font on an offset press you'd need at least 2400 PPI, and I doubt the RIP would process a raster that large without automatically downsampling, defeating the purpose.

Excellent point.  It's not a perfect solution, but for projects that don't need higher than, say, 300 dpi it has done the trick nicely  Thanks for that qualification.

• 20. Re: Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

Thanks for trying to help, but that was a long time ago. I had to keep the file small to email for client approval, and later the quality high to upload to the printing company of this book. After paying for the fonts to have to make an outlined copy of my Indd file seems very disrespectful to people who support fonts by buying them.