17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 12:57 PM by mitchgrrt

Text search is broken in Reader X

Aristotle2010

Have recently upgraded the desktops in my enterprise to Reader X; many of my customers are now reporting that they can no longer search (CNTRL-F) for text inside some of their PDF documents from inside Reader X.  (Please note that I am not referring here to Windows Desktop Search, which leverages an iFilter).

I have done some testing, and all the "problem" documents in question are searchable in Adobe Reader 9.  Reader X is also unable to show the document properties (Right-click, document properties) for any of the documents that it cannot search (the property window never opens).  There is clearly some sort of parsing bug in Reader X.

I have tested Reader v10.0, v10.0.1 and v10.1 with the same results each time.  Adobe - please fix this bug urgently, otherwise I am going to be forced to roll back thousands of Desktops to v9.x

Thank you

• 1. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you please provide me with some sample PDFs for which the search functionality is not working. Cant see any issue while searching on all the PDFs on my end.

Thanks

Ankit

• 2. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X / browsers?
            H.Walzner

I can't reproduce this when opening files inside a single Adobe Reader X instance by opening local pdf documents. However the search is broken as described by Aristotle2010  in browser plugins when multiple pdf files are opened.

Bug description: If multiple pdf files are opened in tabs in either Firefox or IE9 only the last of them can use ctrl + f properly.

steps to reproduce:

Firefox:

do a search on google for filetype:pdf

open 3 tabs with random selected pdf documents from that search.

go to the first created pdf tab and press ctrl + f inside that tab

--> the firefox internal search pops up (close it)

retry pressing ctrl + f and type something (nothing appears in the current tab) I typed "foo bar"

go to the last opened pdf tab: the search term "foo bar" was entered in this pdf instead the first one.

IE9:

do a search for filetype:pdf

open 3 tabs with random pdf documents from that search.

go to the first created document and press ctrl + f

nothing happens.

go to the second tab and do the same - nothing happens.

go to the third created tab and do the same: search works.

looks like the wrong tab/window gets the focus. Maybe this is related to the previously annoying bug where random windows of the desktop environment were placed in front when the search wasn't successful (this issues has been resolved in the last update and since it is connected to windows focus I suspect that to be the cause).

Best,

H.

• 3. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
              Aristotle2010 Level 1

Hello.   I am unable to provide a sample at this point as all the problematic documents I have are confidential in nature.   However I have identified something that they have in common, which is that they have been generated by HP Exstream (http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/prodserv/software/eda/products/hpexstream.html)

===Example header==

%PDF-1.3
              1 0 obj << /Creator (Exstream Dialogue Version 4.0.051)
              /CreationDate (6/14/2011 09:40:39)
              >> endobj

No information about this issue on the HP site.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X / browsers?
                Aristotle2010 Level 1

My has nothing to do with a web browser  as the issue can be replicated in a standalone instance of Reader X.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                  JoeSalazar

I am having the same issue and can provide you with a sample pdf file. Where should I send it to?

• 6. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                    JoeSalazar Level 1

It looks bad. It finds all kinds of words that are unrelated to the search. For instance, I look for the word "enum", I select whole words only, and it finds ".net", "P", "x", "type", "avoid", "Lance", and "public void Execute(string commandText, int iterations)" lol is totally useless.

Also sometimes when I copy text, it actually copies garbage instead of the selected text.

Until further notice... I'm rolling back to the previous version.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                      Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you try and doing the following and see if it works.

1. Open Reader and goto Edit > Preferences

2. Click on the Search section on the left

3. Uncheck the checkbox for "Enable Fast Find" and click on the button "Purge Cache Contents"

4. Now try opening any 2 PDFs and search for some text in each one of them.

In case this works, it could be the case that the File ID and Mod ID being assigned to the PDFs (being created by HP Exstream) is the same for two PDFs. This might be whats causing the issue while searching for text, since Reader cant differentiate between the 2 files.

Could you please enquire about the same from HP to see if they can have a workaround or fix for the issue at their end.

Ankit

• 8. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                        Aristotle2010 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  Disabling "Fast Find" and purging the cache has no effect on the outcome - all text remains unsearchable and the document properties page still cannot be viewed.

Support for Exstream 4.0 ended in 2009, so HP will not take any calls in this regard.

Thank you

• 9. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                          Aristotle2010 Level 1

Sorry, still unable to obtain a non-confidential sample document to provide here.

However I have done some testing in Adobe Acrobat Pro X, and have the following information to add:

• The exact same symptoms exist in Acrobat Pro X, with search not working and being unable to view the document properties.
                          • Acrobat Pro cannot save the document in any format except Poscript (.ps) and Encapsulated Postscript (.eps) - all other file save operations fail with the error: "The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (135)"
                          • Appears I can edit everything in the document with Acrobat Pro, including the text.  If I insert a blank page then delete all the original pages, then the issue persists and I still can't save the now empty document.
                          • If I convert the .ps or .eps file created from the original pdf document by Acrobat Pro back to .pdf with Adobe Distiller, then the new PDF document no longer has the issue.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                            mitchgrrt

Here's what I am seeing.  Not sure if it's the same problem or not.

Open a file and search for "foo".  Search goes to a page that contains "foo" but "foo" is not visually highlighted.  I have to read the whole page to find the string.

• 11. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                              JoeSalazar Level 1

My original problem is now gone after the last update. Now I'm getting the exact same issue that mitchgrrt described. Reader now finds the words correctly but doesn't highlight them.

• 12. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                                Aristotle2010 Level 1

Folks, your issue is NOT the same as mine, which appears to be that you're finding the text you've searching for, but it's not being highlighted correctly.

This thread currently concerns an issue whereby all releases of Reader X and Acrobat X including v10.1 are unable to find any text whatsoever in documents generated by HP Exstream 4.0.   So you might want to start a new thread for your problem, as this issue is not resolved.

Does no-one from Adobe read or participate in these discussions, or am I wasting my time here in trying to report a bug in this software?

• 13. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                                  mitchgrrt Level 1

I'm disappointed with Adobe's poor support for their products.

• 14. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                                    JoeSalazar Level 1

Aristotle2010, I hear you loud and clear... Sorry about that...

Singing off............

• 15. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                                      Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Aristotle2010 wrote:

Does no-one from Adobe read or participate in these discussions, or am I wasting my time here in trying to report a bug in this software?

No, not regularly, this is essentially a user to user forum.

Best way to report bugs is to post here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 16. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                                        prbills

This problem is due to an issue with HP Exstream Version you are using. If it is possible for you to upgrade this to version 6.1 or above the problem will be resolved

• 17. Re: Text search is broken in Reader X
                                          mitchgrrt Level 1

I'm not aware of using HP Exstream.  How do I see what version I'm using and upgrade?  I'm using a Mac.  Thanks.