8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2011 9:58 AM by jeffyerkey

What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?

John Hawkinson Level 5

Per the Adobe InDesign CS5.5 7.5.1 Release Notes, the following issues are resolved in today's CS5.5 update:

• For a Swedish installation on Mac OS you are unable to insert a line break with Return key on the keyboard. [2884727]
      • Background PDF export fails for certain files if preflight is enabled. [2824068]
      • You are unable to change the location of the XSLT file during relinking of XML [2823961]
      • Excel-specific import prefs are not retained when placing Excel file into a graphic frame [2808639]
      • Problem accessing shared linked file from multiple InDesign instances running on different machines [2851854]
      • CS5 plug-ins can be loaded in CS5.5, leading to code conflicts and instability  [2867833]

Any thoughts? Of course we're aware that the plugins one has tripped up some folks.

• 1. Re: What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The "plugin problem" to which John referred was a bug that allowed SOME CS5 plugins to be loaded and run in CS5.5. This does not affect any Adobe plugins, only those from third-party vendors, and apparently not all of those (but check with your vendors if you use third-party plugins). Since most users here don't use third-party plugins, this should not be an issue for them that would affect the decision to install the update.

• 2. Re: What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?
            jeffyerkey Level 1

Peter,

What about Extensis Suitcase? Every designer I know uses it.

-- Jeff

Message was edited by: jeffyerkey

• 3. Re: What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Good point. That might be a problem (as if there weren't plenty of problems with Suitcase reported here already). Check with Extensis.

The good news is that at least with fonts you can disable the auto-activation and turn them on and off manually. Things like broken catalog plugins are more of a show-stopper.

• 4. Re: What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

I wonder if Adobe has looked at how popular the use of plugins is.

It would be interesting to know.

Beyond surveys and market information, at least on the Mac, they have

crash report data (which is skewed!). Each crash report includes

information about version of each loaded plugin. So while they

may not be able to measure the absolute number of users with plugins

installed, they can measure the fraction of users-who-submit-crash-reports

who have plugins installed, as well as the that fraction for any particular

plugin.

Of course, one can only assume those numbers would be representative

of non-crashing installations, too. At least theoreticaly, most crashes

should be clear about whether a plugin was directly or indirectly

responsible for the crash...

I guess such things have the danger of running afoul of the privacy

policy...

• 5. Re: What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Suitcase Fusion 3 is not yet CS5.5 compatible and as Peter as mentioned, there are some known issues with SF3 and InDesign CS5 which Extensis and Adobe are working on. I've found it to rear its ugly head in documents with tables when trying to export to InCopy. ID just freezes up. Disabling the autoactivation plugin fixes this.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that this update isn't breaking anything and that using incompatible plugins is a disaster waiting to happen. If you have a plugin that you absolutely have to have and it hasn't been updated yet you should stick to using CS5.

Bob

• 6. Re: What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?
                    jeffyerkey Level 1

Bob,

While you make a good point, there are also shades of gray here. We were successfully using InDesign 7.5 w/Extensis Suitcase Fusion 3 and have produced two brochures no problems. We do buy our fonts on the up and up and never use TrueType or questionable fonts.

So therefore, I am a bit bummed to lose its functionality temporarily w/ this new update, but I will get over it as I have done so many times before.

Frankly, I do not see why Adobe does not get out it's checkbook and buy a font management company.

-- Jeff

• 7. Re: What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I understand that, but SF has enough problems on a supported system. How would you feel if everything locked up and crashed and you lost a week of work? Then you found out that Adobe was aware of a bug that allowed an unsupported plugin to work and that's what caused it?

Don't get me wrong. I have SF3 installed and use it all the time...I even wrote a review of it for CreativePro.com, but Adobe did the right thing fixing this one.

Bob

• 8. Re: What's new in InDesign CS5.5 (7.5.1)?
                        jeffyerkey Level 1

Hi Bob,

I take your point.  And as far as your comment, "How would you feel if everything locked up and crashed and you lost a week of work? Then you found out that Adobe was aware of a bug that allowed an unsupported plugin to work and that's what caused it?"

Answer: I'd feel like I was working on Quark 3.  (Sorry could not resist a little Saturday humor )