10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 11:01 AM by edb00

Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing

fazstp

I have a fairly large MX 2004 project that I am trying to update in Director 11.5 in OSX. Every time I edit a word in the script editor there is a delay of between 30 to 60 seconds where the cursor spins and Director is unresponsive. I have turned off line numbering, auto-colouring and auto-formatting so I can only assume that it is compiling the script or something as I type. It is basically unworkable to face that sort of delay for every single edit. Is there something I can do to improve the performance? I have installed the latest hot fix.

• 1. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
          edb00

I've noticed that Director seems to take a big performance hit when a Time Machine backup is running. Way more than other apps.

Just a thought........

• 2. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
            fazstp Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not using Time Machine.

It seems to wait for a break in my typing. If I type something and then wait a couple of seconds it will become unresponsive for maybe ten seconds with a spinning cursor, then there is a brief normal cursor before it becomes unresponsive for a further, longer period. Then it will return control so I can continue editing. Incredibly frustrating to say the least. It is really enough to motivate me to explore alternative cross platform authoring solutions. Besides the delays in the script editor there are frequent occurrences where Director locks up completely and I have to force quit and restart Director. Really not viable in it's current state.

Any other suggestions? Anyone else experienced these issues in OSX?

I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on an Intel iMac.

• 3. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
              fazstp Level 2

At this stage as a workaround I've gone back to MX2004 to do the bulk of my editing there and I will bring it into D11.5 when I am ready to publish it. I would still appreciate suggestions as I am starting a new project supposedly in D11.5 but if this is the performance I can expect I really need to consider my options before I get too far down the track.

• 4. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
                edb00 Level 1

You might try running the Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder to verify that Director is the app that's slowing things down.

I've noticed a delay only when I save an edited script. It saves quickly and appears to be done but then the spinning cursor comes up. The activity monitor shows 100% CPU use during this time. Mac OSX 10.6.7

Seems like an older version of Director did this as well don't remember which one.

I run MX 2004 in a virtual machine, but now that Lion will put an end to Rosetta and thus older Director apps I'm trying D11.5 in spite of having paid good money for the abysmal D11.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
                  fazstp Level 2

Interesting. I tried the Activity Monitor. The RAM usage stayed even at about 78 MB RSIZE/ 933 MB Virtual Memory during the delay but the app was listed as Director (not responding) until it had finished whatever the hell it does, then it went back to Director.

• 6. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
                    fazstp Level 2

A bit of Googling found a number of older posts querying the crappiness of the editor with not much in the way of solutions. I can only assume by the lack of response to this thread that the problem was never solved and the users moved on to other software development packages?

• 7. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
                      fazstp Level 2

The simple act of clicking in the editor window jumps %CPU to around 95% for a couple of seconds. In order to actually select some text I have to click and drag over the text and hold the mouse button down for about 10 seconds for the text to be highlighted. If I release the mouse too early it misses the event and I have to try again.

• 8. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
                        Mike Blaustein Level 4

What are your system specs?  I have been using Dir 11.5 on both Mac and PC since before it was released, and while I agree that the text handling is awful, I have never had any experiences anywhere close to what you are describing.

• 9. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
                          fazstp Level 2

Hi Mike. I hadn't noticed any problem either when developing a new movie from scratch. It was only when I tried to edit this rather large MX2004 project that I noticed these sort of problems.

Specs are;

iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OS X Version 10.5.8

227 GB HDD (65 GB Available)

• 10. Re: Director 11.5 Script Editor in OSX - Delay While Editing
                            edb00 Level 1

I'm starting to experience this problem as well -- long delay when saving script after the progress bar shows the save is complete.

Just noticed that this doesn't happen if I close the script window before saving.

I can close the script window save and reopen it if necessary in less time than a save with it open.