3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 10:20 AM by kglad

Using Video And Flash for elaborate menu structure

PHP_Idiot

Hi All

I'm a complete noob with Flash but have an idea for a web menu to include on a site I'm currently rebuilding.

The site is based around poker, and the site looks like the end of a poker table, with menus around the 'rail' of the table.

I thought it would be awesome to have stacks of chips as the menus. So I thought I could video a pair of hands at the top of the table, then flicking a stack of chips down (drop down menu) then picking up a chip and throwing it onto the table (final menu selection then page loads). I would then import the video files into flash and add details to each chips to represent each menu option. and somehow run each video clip on the correct mouseover or mouseclick event.

Aside from being entirely out of my depth:

1. Is this even possible?
      2. Would it end up MASSIVE and grind the site to a halt
      3. How hard would it be to implement?

I'd appreciate any comments, views, ideas or instruction on this.

Slate it, hate it, help it, poke fun at it, or refine it, anything and everything is appreciated.

Many Thanks

• 1. Re: Using Video And Flash for elaborate menu structure
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Aside from being entirely out of my depth:

1. Is this even possible? yes
          2. Would it end up MASSIVE and grind the site to a halt  no
          3. How hard would it be to implement?  it would require, at least, intermediate flash skills

• 2. Re: Using Video And Flash for elaborate menu structure
            PHP_Idiot Level 1

Thanks for your input, at least I know it is possible, and without causing the whole sit to grind to a halt.

Next question... would it be better to use video images of real hands and chips or drawn/animated ones. I'm thinking videos of real would be both easy (no need to try to draw anything in my kack-handed way) and better visually. But this will require me to cut out the background of the video to make it transparent and I dont know if that is possible either!!

As a total noob, could you recommend any really good tuts out there that can help me learn the skills required to takle this monster?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Using Video And Flash for elaborate menu structure
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

it would be better to use drawn/animation rather than video because the flash end of this will be much easier.  it can be done with video, but will require the right video(s) and more flash expertise.

1 person found this helpful