8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 7:53 AM by mintaka918

Skewing Dots on a Line

mintaka918

Is there a way to skew dots on a line so that there is a heavier concentration of dots on one end and a lighter concentration on the other in InDesign?   I want the dots to all be the same size.  I would also like to incorporate a gradient so that the end with the heavier concentration is a darker color than the opposite end.  I can't think of anything short of creating the skewed line of dots myself in Illustrator and saving it as a brush... I just feel like there has to be an easier way than that.

• 1. Re: Skewing Dots on a Line
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think this is one (of many) cases where using Illustrator makes more sense than trying to find workarounds in InDesign. A good work person tries to choose the appropriate tool for the job. Don't try to hammer a nail with a saw.

• 2. Re: Skewing Dots on a Line
            mintaka918 Level 1

Makse sense... but is there an easier way to do it in Illustrator than the method I described?

• 3. Re: Skewing Dots on a Line

Your use of the word "skewing" dots on a line is confusing.

Can you send us a sketch or mockup of what you're trying to do?

• 4. Re: Skewing Dots on a Line
                mintaka918 Level 1

dots.jpg

Something like this.  I want to have more freedom with it, so I created a brush tool in Illustrator, but I feel like there is probably an easier way I did it.

I created the dots then merged the paths to make it a single shape then applied the gradient.  This is just a mock-up, but again, I am just looking for a more efficient way, because I just feel like there IS one!

• 5. Re: Skewing Dots on a Line

Now that you've defined the problem and where to solve it, take it over to the  Illustrator forum and ask the experts over there. You'll probably get responses faster than in the InDesign forum (not that there aren't experts here as well!)

• 6. Re: Skewing Dots on a Line
                    mintaka918 Level 1

I also posted this question because I wondered if there IS a way to do it in InDesign that I am not aware of since there are some stroke options in InDesign, though not as many is Illustrator, obviously.  Again, maybe not, and when I was making it, Illustrator made more sense, but sometimes people tend to separate these programs TOO much by not realizing that there is some overlap in what each program can do.

• 7. Re: Skewing Dots on a Line
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What you seem to want is some sort of logarithmic spacing coupled with a gradient fill. I imagine this might be scriptable, but the spacing is nothing that is available for dotted strokes out of the box.

• 8. Re: Skewing Dots on a Line

I'm all for finding clever new ways of doing things in InDesign. For example, Mike Rankin has been showing off AMAZING things in his postings on creating naturalistic effects in InDesign on InDesignSecrets.com and at the recent Print and ePublishing Conference they sponsored. But, honestly, I'm more of a workman and a teacher than a designer, and I'll usually pick the easiest and most logical tool for the job. I don't have the patience and abilities to develop some of the fancy things he does.