2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 9:59 AM by alexdejesus

Will I Need a Hardware RAID Controller? for Multiple RAIDs?

alexdejesus Level 1

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3744743

In ref. to the above thread, I am gutting out and rebuilding my system. I was advised to replace a 3 TB drive with two pairs of smaller drives each in RAID 0 for media and previews. I already have my system drive in a RAID 0 - as configured by HP. I will also have external drives such as a G RAID and others. So, potentially I may have at least three different RAIDs

Now, because I have a Matrox MX02 Mini, my choice of CPU and MoBo depends on whether I will be using a dedicated RAID controller. As I'm told the controller and Matrox together will cause my Video card to run at half speed

Please tell me - Can my Windows 7 Ult system (P8P67 or equiv./i7-2600 ref'd. in the other thread) support multiple RAID configurations without a dedicated controller? If so, please send instructions for setting them up.

• 1. Re: Will I Need a Hardware RAID Controller? for Multiple RAIDs?
          Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

again raid 0 OS is foolish. cant believe HP would ship something like that (are you sure its not raid 1)

since you are rebuilding

break the raid 0 OS

that leaves you room for 2 x 2 drive raid 0s (all you need )

with the onboard

so no you dont need a controller

and again even if you did the raid contrller works perfectly fine on sandy brisge P67/Z68

if you had read my post you would understand this

Scott

ADK

• 2. Re: Will I Need a Hardware RAID Controller? for Multiple RAIDs?
            alexdejesus Level 1

@ Scott: Yes, I did read your post and understood you completely. I only pointed out that you contradicted Bill and Harm in their assumption about the SB platform. You say it's fine with a controller and a 3rd party hardware. They say it is severely limited. Your argument is with them, not me.

And yes, the computer shipped with 2 x 500 GB RAID 0 for the system drive. I currently have 2 additional drives installed for media and previews. I was not able to set up a second RAID. Please send instructions if that is possible with Windows 7, otherwise I will need a controller.