2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 7:38 AM by Sam 52

Fading in and out effect on Text layer

Sam 52

I'm having issues with effects suddenly popping on in the last frame.

I've imported a photoshop file with basic text into AE, all the text is white and any embossing, outlines etc have been merged with the Text so they're NOT on a separate layer.

In my composition I've applied CC Scatterize to all three layers but with different settings. At the beginning of my comp I set a keyframe and "Scatterized" my text, then I scrub to the end and hit reset so it adds a keyframe when the text returns to normal-legible font.

I added easy ease to each key frame and they work great until the very last frame, when the white text abruptly snaps/pop on. As though it jumps, ...5,6,7,10

I saw this (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/745424?decorator=print&displayFullThread=true) but to no avail.

I've added key frames in between the two points, changed the velocity of the key frames and some other tricks but still nothing.

My work-around is duplicating the layer, offsetting it slightly and cross fading the two opacities so the duplicate passes the point where the layer has abruptly popped on.

However I still need to know what it is going on in that last frame that's causing it to pop on and not gradually go back to 0.

Mac

AE, CS5

PS, CS5

• 1. Re: Fading in and out effect on Text layer
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try editing the graph. Specify Edit Value Graph and Show Reference Graph. It should look something like this.

Also, don't cut the layer right at the last keyframe. Allow a little bit of a handle. It should look a something like this:

Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 12.05.43 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 12.31.57 PM.png

The top image shows what to select, the bottom shows how to adjust the handle. This should give you the effect you are looking for.

BTW, it's almost always better to enter a value for an animated parameter in the ECW or timeline because reset resets everything and can break the look of the layer.

• 2. Re: Fading in and out effect on Text layer
            Sam 52 Level 1

Thanks Rick,

I tried adjusting the handles but with the same result, I.e Popping on. So I cut it a frame before which stops it from popping, yet in this case it does not reach it's full brightness or in other words the effect doesn't fully return to 0.

Everything is Dandy at 00:06:22, then 00:06:23 it pops on.

A.png

At this point I could add levels but then I feel like I'm adding an adjustment that isn't necessary?