2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 4:56 PM by 370H55V

Reader X locks IE8 when file save attempted. Others having same issue?

yogiperogy

This happens all the time. I'm running Windows XP-SP3.

I have an open PDF, I click the floppy disc 'save' icon and the location selection window opens. Clicking 'save' in that pop-up window then freezes the browser and nothing is saved. If I have other browser tabs open, I can return to these but I cannot close or shrink the locked window, just replace it with the websites on the other open tabs. The only way to clear this is to reboot the computer.

My solution was to uninstall Reader X and downgrade to a stable version but I'd like to know if others have encountered this same behaviour.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Reader X locks IE8 when file save attempted. Others having same issue?
          370H55V Level 4

Once you click "Save" you are no longer working with Reader, but rather Windows Explorer, whic handles ALL saving of files from any application.

Have you cleared your browser cache recently?

Have run a Disk Cleanup recently?

Have you run a defrag recently?

Have you run a system file check (Start>Run> "sfc /verifyonly")?

• 2. Re: Reader X locks IE8 when file save attempted. Others having same issue?
            yogiperogy Level 1

I use (FREE) Piriform CCleaner after every browsing session and sometimes mid-session if I visit sites I suspect plant spy cookies. CCleaner does a far more through job than Windows Disk Clean-up Utility. I defrag every Saturday. I have never run the SFC but just did so as you suggest and as soon as I click 'OK' after entering 'sfc/verifyonly', there is bright flash in the upper left quadrant of the monitor screen but I see nothing else suggesting the result of the action taken.

I was basically curious if others were experiencing this issue. I have resolved it by uninstalling Reader X and downloading and installing Reader 8. Henceforth, I will ignore ALL pop-ups advising so-called 'upgrades' are available.

Thanks you for your reply.

Gord

BTW, CCleaner has a cookie-keeper function to save username/password login info for future visits. What specific tasks it carries out is user-selectable from extensive menus. It also has registry cleaner and drive-wipe features, the latter with different overwrite options and 'whole drive' and 'free space only' choice.