5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2011 8:31 AM by John T Smith

PC requirements and issues burning

DrBrown55061 Level 1

I have a 1080p digital camera that I used for a trip. I've created a 43 minute video with stills and video mingled throughout with intentions of making a DVD for family. My PC really sturggles with all this data being loaded into the project. I've made sure I removed unused pictures/videos but it's apparently too much for my PC. It's home built with an ASUS MB, 4GB DDR3 8000 RAM, NVIDIA 9600GT 512MB, 3.1 dual core AMD 6000+, Win XP SP3 and I'm using Elements 9. I have tried to burn the project to DVD but it continually says "Premier Elements is running low on system memory..."

What kind of horsepower do I need to run elements efficiently, and is the low memory error due to elements having an issue or my PC? FYI, the design file is 7.6 GB total. Any advice here would be fantastic, so I can stop wasting an hour to attempt burning this project! Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: PC requirements and issues burning
          nealeh Level 5

DrBrown55061 wrote:

the design file is 7.6 GB total.

• What do you mean by 'the design file'?
          • What are the pixel dimensions of your stills?
          • How many disk drives and free defragmented space do you have on each?

Take a look at PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips. Especially note the point about disabling anti-virus software (do you use McAfee?).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PC requirements and issues burning
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the tune up tips and other tid-bits in the file that Neale linked to, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of your still images?

You mention that your camera shoots 1080i, but I did not see the format/CODEC used. Is it AVCHD?

Good luck, and let us know a little more please.

Hunt

• 3. Re: PC requirements and issues burning
              DrBrown55061 Level 1

I deal with graphic design files all day and tech support so my job  leaked into this thread lol. By "design file" I meant the adobe elements movie  file is 7.6 GB.

Most of the photos are all low  resolution snagged off of friends facebook albums(~400kb each). The video files are 1080p .MOV format.  Some files are 10 MB, but others are 400 MB. If it's a resolution issue  it's due to the large video format and file size.

The HDD I'm running the program on has 180 GB of free space so memory shouldn't be an issue at all.

Looking at the "Hanging or Crashing" thread, I have recently formatted this PC and reloaded all my drivers and software so everything is up to date. However, I have not done Windows SP3 completely because it refuses to finish installing. I wouldn't think a windows service pack issue would be related though. It just seems like it can't handle all these large videos. Because as I designed it got slower and slower. It takes a good 3-4 minutes to load the project. And if you try to watch one of the video files inside the preview window it skips very bad. It got worse as the project grew.

• 4. Re: PC requirements and issues burning
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For Still Images to Video, the file size, itself, is not an issue - the pixel x pixel dimensions, however, can be.

That XP SP-3 will not install is would be a concern for me.

Memory & Resources can be several things, from installed RAM to the Windows' Virtual Memory (Page File), and its management. That is why we added the additional links to that article. Lots of things can sap Resources, if not addressed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PC requirements and issues burning
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Only one hard drive could be a problem...

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                  You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                  Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                  You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                  A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
                  You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
                  I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
                  Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for video editing
                  Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
                  A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
                  http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0