11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 3:33 PM by K-SLICE Branched from an earlier discussion.

crash

K-SLICE Level 1

My After Effects is crashing upon start up, a well. It opens some files fine, but others it crashes. After Effects tries to open them, get's about 98% done, and I get this message:

Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 4.33.13 PM.png

I don't know what is happening! I deleted the 10.0 preference folder, as directed, and still the same alert.

PLEASE HELP!! This a pretty big project and I have been working off of this file, fine, all week!!

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?!?!?!

• 2. Re: crash
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What kind of files are causing the crash? This could be a corrupted codec or a conflict between codecs. Have you recently made any changes to the system?

• 3. Re: crash
            K-SLICE Level 1

Thank you foe getting back to me! I just installed it, deleted the preferences again, and restarted my computer. It still crashed.

• 4. Re: crash
              K-SLICE Level 1

The file I am trying to open is a .aep file. It has all sorts of files linked to it. I am not sure which file is causing the crash. I did copy some new codecs onto my hard drive yesterday. How can I tell if that's what is causing the problem?

• 5. Re: crash
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I did copy some new codecs onto my hard drive yesterday.

What new codecs? (K-Lite, by any chance?)

Try creating a new project and importing your problematic project into it.

• 6. Re: crash
                  K-SLICE Level 1

No K-Lite. Just tried importing file in new project and it crashed.

• 7. Re: crash
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What codecs did you install, then?

• 8. Re: crash
                      K-SLICE Level 1

I just copied a bunch from my co-workers drive. They were all quicktime codecs. Video was coming up black, so I copied a few DVCPRO codecs. I have attached an image of all the codecs in my Library Quicktime folder.

Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 5.41.38 PM.png

• 9. Re: crash
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Remove those codecs (i.e., drag them to the desktop) and then try opening the project. If the project opens without a crash, then drag the codecs back in a few at a time and try opening the project each time to determine which is causing the problem.

See this thread for some information about how bad QuickTime codecs cause serious problems:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2808379#2808379

• 10. Re: crash
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

K-SLICE wrote:

I just copied a bunch from my co-workers drive. They were all quicktime codecs. Video was coming up black, so I copied a few DVCPRO codecs.

Bad idea.  Very bad idea.  Extremely bad idea.  I see that there's a Flip4Mac component in there, and that's something you have to pay for.  It's just one of the many things that could have been wrought by your innocent, yet foolish move.

Get rid of those things you copied.  Do it now.  If you have video coming up black, then convert it to something you CAN read.

I've done dumb things myself, so I'm not lecturing.  One of the dumb things I recently did was to download CS 5.5 while extremely distracted, then deciding to start over from scratch later.  So I dragged the downloaded files, including something called an installer, into the trash, Mac-style.

The problem: I was on a Windows machine.  Now things are screwed up.  No one's immune from those "What on earth were you THINKING??" moments, least of all me.

• 11. Re: crash
                            K-SLICE Level 1

I removed all of the codecs and it still crashed.