I should add that I was able to download a sample book from Adobe and that downloaded with no problem.
Also, I noticed when I tried again to download a library book, I got a VERY QUICK little window that I think said "initializing." It was so fast that I don't know if it said anything else.
It's tough to try to figure out what happened, but you've given me a 'clue'
- ADE works with Adobe's website. So, I would suppose that something in
software somewhere changed. When this has happened to me in the past, I
checked to see if my anti-virus or firewall software had changed, or
something else in the host site - the library in this case - had changed. I
haven't won the lottery yet, so my betting isn't the best, but I'd contact
the library and talk to their tech support people, because I think that
something there has changed.
Yea, it works again. Adobe Support got back to me and felt that ADE was corrupted. I followed their suggestions. Here's what to do.
1. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Digital Editions
2. On Control Panel, also uninstall Adobe Flash Player
3. Remove all remnants of ADE by locating and deleting the below-mentioned folder
a. In your Start menu search box, type in regedit. It will show you the regedit program. Click on it to open.
b. In the Registry Editor, choose Edit>Find> type in adept
c. Find and select this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept
d. Fight click the Adept folder and click on delete
4. Delete all files and folders on your computer from the locations mentioned below:
a. My Documents\My Digital Editions\Restore\Tasks
b. My Documents\My Digital Editions\Restore\Failed
5. Empty your Recycle Bin by right-clicking on your Recycle Bin on your desktop and select "Empty Recycle Bin"
6. Restart your computer
7. Go to http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/#fp and install Adobe Flash Player
8. When Adobe Flash Player is installed, go back to the same URL and install Adobe Digital Editions
a. When installation is complete, Setup Assistant will appear
b. Click Continue and Choose - Authorize your Adobe Digital Editions with your Adobe ID
c. Click on Activate
d. Click on Continue
e. Click on Finished
9. You should now be ready to download books