7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2009 4:27 PM by Newsgroup_User

    defining text styles

    Jamminy
      I've pasted text in from Word. I select a subhead and style it with the font, size and color I want for all my subheads and then define a style from that and name it "h2." So far, so good.

      Next I select the body copy and style it smaller than the subhead, lighter font weight, etc. and try to define a style based on that. Fireworks won't let me. Instead, it undoes all the styling I've done to the body copy and applies my "h2" styling to it.

      I can't figure out how to separate the body copy from the subheads (other than pasting it into a different text block) so I can create a separate style for it.
        • 1. Re: defining text styles
          Level 7
          Jamminy wrote:
          > I've pasted text in from Word. I select a subhead and style it with the font,
          > size and color I want for all my subheads and then define a style from that and
          > name it "h2." So far, so good.
          >
          > Next I select the body copy and style it smaller than the subhead, lighter
          > font weight, etc. and try to define a style based on that. Fireworks won't let
          > me. Instead, it undoes all the styling I've done to the body copy and applies
          > my "h2" styling to it.
          >
          > I can't figure out how to separate the body copy from the subheads (other than
          > pasting it into a different text block) so I can create a separate style for it.
          >

          All the text is in the same text block, that's why you are getting this
          problem. You can only apply 1 style to a text block at a time.

          --
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
          ---
          • 2. Re: defining text styles
            Jamminy Level 1
            So you can't style individual paragraphs within the same text block? Like you can in InDesign? Like you can with block elements in Dreamweaver?

            Lame.

            By the way, Jim, I've gotten a lot from all of your "Getting Started" videos.

            I just wish you had a better answer for this one...

            Thanks.
            • 3. Re: defining text styles
              Level 7
              Jamminy wrote:
              > So you can't style individual paragraphs within the same text block? Like you
              > can in InDesign? Like you can with block elements in Dreamweaver?
              >
              > Lame.
              >
              > By the way, Jim, I've gotten a lot from all of your "Getting Started" videos.
              >
              > I just wish you had a better answer for this one...
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              Just a limitation of the software a the moment. Can't hurt to post it to
              the Adobe wishlist, though.

              And to be clear, you CAN style TEXT attributes differently within a text
              block, by selecting text,and making changes in the P.I. but the Styles
              in the Styles panel generally make use of Live filters, which are object
              oriented, so even if your text "style" only affects text attributes,
              apply the style will change the entire text block.

              I'm glad you've enjoyed the videos!

              --
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
              ---
              • 4. Re: defining text styles
                pixlor Level 4
                quote:

                Originally posted by: Jamminy
                So you can't style individual paragraphs within the same text block? Like you can in InDesign? Like you can with block elements in Dreamweaver?

                Lame.


                Fireworks is not an HTML editing environment like Dreamweaver and it isn't a page layout program like InDesign. It's a Web graphics/rapid prototyping tool. Fireworks is not intended for you to build sites with. Put in your text elements individually for your prototype. Then, use Dreamweaver to build your site and you'll have all the text styling functionality you need.

                • 5. Re: defining text styles
                  Jamminy Level 1
                  It's just that it would be nice, since I'm pasting in my Word document, to not have to draw separate blocks for each paragraph that changes.

                  These will become block elements, and they are already delineated by paragraph returns. So it would be nice to use the strength of style sheets in this part of the process.

                  I appreciate the notion that this is just a limitation of the current iteration of the software. I will put this on the wish list.

                  Thanks all.
                  • 6. Re: defining text styles
                    Jamminy Level 1
                    So, uh, how do I access the wish list?
                    :)
                    • 7. Re: defining text styles
                      Level 7
                      Jamminy wrote:
                      > It's just that it would be nice, since I'm pasting in my Word document, to not
                      > have to draw separate blocks for each paragraph that changes.
                      >
                      > These will become block elements, and they are already delineated by paragraph
                      > returns. So it would be nice to use the strength of style sheets in this part
                      > of the process.
                      >
                      > I appreciate the notion that this is just a limitation of the current
                      > iteration of the software. I will put this on the wish list.
                      >
                      > Thanks all.
                      >

                      If you are using the updated CSS and Images export, there are some other
                      options, but none that will do what you want specifically, I believe.

                      As for the wishlist, it's just a Google away . . .

                      http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform



                      --
                      Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                      http://www.communityMX.com/
                      ---
                      .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                      http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
                      ---