21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 10:09 PM by John Hawkinson RSS

How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

mooseonthla

Hi, I need to hand in an assignment to a teacher who only has CS3, but when I click "Save As", the formats I can only save are for are: InDesign CS5.5 document, and InDesign CS5.5 template. I can't even save this as a pdf file!!!! (But he needs cs3 file to mark the file) HELP?!?!

• 1. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
          Joel Cherney MVP

Well, you could Export a PDF. But, as you say, that's not what you need.

You can Export an IDML that will allow you to open your CS5.5 file in CS5... and from CS5, Export an IDML file that you can open in CS4... and, from CS4, Export an INX file that you can open in CS3. Any features that you used that aren't present in CS3 are toast.

If your assignment is due on Monday, then maybe one of the forums regulars will take pity on you and offer to downsave the file for you (assuming you don't have every single one of those versions of InDesign installed). If you send me a PM with your email address within the next, oh, fifteen minutes or so, I'll volunteer to do the downsave for you. But it's 7:30 on a Friday night, and I am leaving the office in about twenty minutes.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
            Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

You can cut out of one of those steps. InDesign CS5.5 can save an IDML which will open up in CS4. Then you have to save once more to go back to CS3.

• 3. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
              Joel Cherney MVP

Really?

Well, whaddya know.

Thanks for the tip - all of my backsaving is from CS4 to CS3, so I didn't even try the CS5.5 -> CS5 backsave, much less a CS5.5 -> CS4 backsave.

I don't know if this will help the OP, but it's bound to help someone.

• 4. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
                Stix Hart Community Member

Give the CS5.5 file to the teacher and tell him/her to get with the times!  How the heck do they expect to teach Indesign with a version as old as that?  No students would be able to buy CS3 legally.

• 5. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
                  John Hawkinson Community Member

Send me the file and I'll do it.

• 6. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

You know, I just had a thought.

Frequently I live my life thinking, "What can I do with this copy of InDesign Server?"

Always the answer comes back, "Nothing. It's not very useful for you. Oh well."

But now I realize...I could build a web-based InDesign backsaving service. Run a copy of CS5.5 Server, CS4 Server, and CS3 Server. Have the CS5.5 server open CS5 and CS5.5 documents export them to IDML. Have the CS4 server open CS4 and IDML documents and export them to INX. Have the CS3 server open INX documents and save them as native CS3 docs (smaller and faster to open than INX is). I suppose it could also offer a CS3 native to INX conversion option since Peter has reported that sometimes CS3 documents are troublesome in later versions in a way that INX files aren't.

You'd think somebody at Adobe would have been nice enough to do this. Ironically, I think the only thing stopping me from this is that I don't have a spare intel mac that I could run a service like this on. Plenty of G5s kicking around that could run this, but that's no good for CS5.5. Oh, I guess there's a Mac Mini that's almost never used, and this service could just go down whenever anyone preempted it... I suppose 3GB RAM is sufficient.

Hrmm. I'll have to think about whether I really want to put the effort into doing this. Someone should tell me whether I'm off my rocker or if it is or isn't worth it...

• 7. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

Do it!

You could charge a nominal fee to cover expenses.  It might mangle a lot of documents out of usefulness but a lot of times if you're supplying something to a customer by definition they have to be very simple anyway.  And it would be genuinely useful.  Perhaps Adobe will give you enough points to buy your choice of a coconut or cigar.  Perhaps not.

• 8. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

The problem with all this backsaving is the text is probably going to look different due totext engine changes that will cause re-flow, plus there are a bunch of things in CS5/5.5 that might have been used, but are not supported and will be lost in CS3, so it's not a great plan for classwork.

Clearly your school is behind the times, and you should complain VERY loudly, and then do your homework on the school's computer. In the meantime, I would recommend exporting a PDF (print, not interactive), and if you have Acrobat pro enable commenting in reader for the teacher to mark it up.

• 9. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
                          BobLevine UGM-MVPs

I think you'll then find out why nobody else has bothered to do it.

Just think of the disputed charges you can deal with when your customers find out that the span columns don't span in the backsaved copy and that the all the text has reflowed in a 250 page document.

Oh, and one last thing...I'd very carefully check that ID Server license to see if you can legally use it for this purpose. My guess would be no but I've been wrong before.

Bob

• 10. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

Ha ha. It would certainly have to have big warnings signs. Not charging money makes life easier about a thousand different ways, including no expectation of anything working.

You're right, I am somewhat naive about the ID Server license. While one tends to think that ID Server is the EULA-compliant answer to restrictions on web-based automation of InDesign desktop, that doesn't mean that any prohibitted desktop use is automatically permitted with the server. For instance, rental is expressly prohibitted.

Lots of language about things like:

The Software is only an interface to, or an extended service in support of, your direct beneficial business purpose. For example, and without limitation, if you are a printer you may use the Software to allow your customers to create and submit print orders, and if you are an advertising agency you may allow your clients access to the Software to interact with the creative deliverables you produce for them.

Something to think about.

Of course, the real issue is whether existence of such a service like that might prevent anybody from buying CS5.5. I suppose that's not completely implausible. Hrmmmmmmmmmmm...

Of course, the regular ID EULA prohibits use of the software "on a service bureau basis." One might conclude that means you can't charge people money to do sutff with their files :-). Dunno what to think on that one.

• 11. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
                              mooseonthla Community Member

Thanks for the helpful answers. The only problem is that when I press "save" or "save as" I can only save to as a CS5.5 document or template. Those are the only two who show up!!!! I can't find any format to save as an "IDML" as you prescribed.

This I do not understand. I must have deleted some kind of file that enabled me to do that. I think I deleted: Adobe Air, Adobe Extension Manager, etc. But I doubt that would have anything to do with not saving though.

Here is a screenshot of my problem:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/143/picture1qxl.png/

Also, this assignment was a Magazine, and it is a very huge file, I would love for you to convert it for me when I was finished, but I'm not sure if you would. Thanks though. =/

And yes, It is due on Monday!!!! And yeah, my school was "supposed" to get CS5 a few months ago but that got delayed.

• 12. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

I'm not one of the helpful chaps offering to convert it for you (I can't at the moment) but I can tell you that to get other options like PDF and IDML you need to Export, for which you go File > Export and then choose the file type you want tu eport to.

• 13. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

Keep in mind that exporting to IDML only gets you half way there. You still need to open that IDML in CS4 and export to INX for CS3. Unless you have CS4, that's not a step you can do yourself.

Also, this assignment was a Magazine, and it is a very huge file, I would love for you to convert it for me when I was finished, but I'm not sure if you would. Thanks though. =/

we offered because we would do it. Don't make it so hard to help you!!!

The only problems arise if it is too large to email. One person's "very huge" is another person's "medium."

Are we talking gigabytes or terabytes? You can use a service like yousendit.com, or I can give you an ftp server to use if you're familiar with ftp.

• 14. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
                                    Harbs. MVP

As far as the EULA goes, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do this.

I have my doubts that it'll be financially viable though.

A single instance license of ID Server (in the US) costs $22,000 and a multi-instance license (which you might need if it does become viable) costs $40,000.

How much could you charge for such a service? How many people would use it?

The only way I could see this being somewhat viable would be if you have a licensed copy that has a relatively light load and can serve double duty.

Harbs

• 15. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

OK. So, just in case you don't check this after 8pm. Is it alright if I send it to you by tonight at midnight, and I was wondering how early you wake up, and whether or not it would be an inconvienience for you to save it as a cs3, at like 8am in the morning (Pacific Time -8:00 -> Vancouver, BC)

It's actually not that huge. It probably won't go over 100MB.

And so I was thinking I could package the file wtih all the fonts/links, then put it in a zip file, upload it to yousendit.com, and send it to [link rmoved by forum host] ?? Would you be able to do this favor for me?

And Thank You!

• 16. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
                                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

First, please don't put other people's email addresses in your posts. Nobody needs more spam.

Second, to do the conversion, only the .indd file is required (but you will have to include the links when you deliver). It's a good idea to also export a PDF from the "real" file for reference since you won't really know what the file looks like in CS3, even if you open it in CS5.5, and you teacher won't know looking at the file in CS3 waht it looked like before it was converted. Send that along with the package when you turn in your homework.

• 17. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

Replied by private message.

• 18. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

So, I was expecting to hear from mooseonthla last night, or at least this morning, and I have not. I won't be around for the next few hours, so if he truly needs his file by 8am Pacific / 11am Eastern, someone else will have to help him.

• 19. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!
                                              Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I'll be around for a bit, but I have some errands to run myself....

Send me a link by private message before 7:00 pacific time and I can do it, much later than that will be iffy.

• 20. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

Sorry for the lack of communication and the tardiness problems. I ended up handing in the pdf file to my teacher, and that was it. I stayed up until 2am working on it, and it still wasn't what I wanted, and I was using Waves Coffee internet wifi, which closed at 1am, therefore I could not send it afterwards. I woke up at 7:30am, thinking "Oh **** John Hawkinsons gonna kill me" Haha.

I'm incredibly sorry for the waste of time you had to spend on me, and I appreciate well the thoughtful answers and dedication put into this. You have been appreciated.

• 21. Re: How do you save from CS5.5 to CS3?!?!

I checked and the ID server team confirms it's no-go under the terms of my ID server license. Oh well. I'm sure they'll let me know if they change their mind.