11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 10:04 AM by the_wine_snob

Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?

acarlson999

Does Premier Pro CS.5 have the option to zoom in on a subject in the video?  How about cropping the picture so you remove the "outside elements" that are distracting at the edges of the original film footage?  I have a home video of my daughter singing and there's an obnoxious man that I thought was out of my picture while filming.  when i uploaded it, I found that I didn't account for the icons on the side of the camera screen and so actually the man is on the edge of the video waving his arms and basically becoming the center of attention while watching the video.  I want to zoom in on my daughter thereby cutting the guy out of the left side of the screen so she becomes the focus of the video again.  Does Premier Pro do this?  Does the trial version do this?  Is there an EASIER program to try for this kind of editing?  Because Premier Pro is complicated and definitely not user friendly for the very Amateur dummy like me.

• 1. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Use the Motion effect to scale the footage.  The Help file will have the required data on how.

On a side note, "uploading" refers to the transfer of data from a local computer to a remote computer.  In this case, the common terms will be "digitize" or "capture" coming from tape, or just "copy" coming from an SD card or similar.

• 2. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you're new to Premiere Pro, I recommend that you start here.

• 3. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, that Jim mentioned (Zoom), you can also use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position to Pan the image to center up a subject, that was not originally framed in the center.

Those Effects can be static, i.e. applied at the beginning of the Clip for the full Duration of the Clip, or can be dynamic, i.e. animated to change over time, say to start a Clip at 100%, and then slowly Zoom in on your subject. This is done with Keyframing, and you can Search the Help File on that keyword for full details. The animation of an Effect with Keyframes is very powerful, and can be used with most Effects - well worth learning.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
                Stanley Arthur Level 3

Hey acarlson, I made a quick little video tutorial to explain exactly how to do what you want to do: http://screenr.com/zF7s

• 5. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is one catch.

If you click on the program monitor and you have e.g. a title superimposed over your footage you will not get the bounding box.

You will have to click the clip in the timeline, go to the Effect Controls and click on the transform icon.

transform icon.png

• 6. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

That is a good caveat. I was unaware of the limitation with a Title, but then always use the Effects Control Panel and the numerical settings, and never the Bounding Box.Still, good to know.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe i was not quite clear

Its not a limitation its the way the clips are stacked.

If you have several clips or titles or whatever superimpossed and you want the bounding box of the clip in track one and you hit the program monitor you get the bounding box of the top clip.

• 8. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, thanks for that clarification. Now it makes perfect sense.

As I so seldom use the Bounding Box, there are probably many aspects of its use, that I am just unaware of.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
                          acarlson999 Level 1

Your quick video and explanation helped me out sooo much!  I spent hours and hours trying to figure out how to do this and what to use, going through scads of Adobe help files and videos and nothing made sense and nothing worked.  I was ready to give up.  You saved a great little video of a very memorable once in a lifetime event of our daughter's first live performance and first time singing with a band!

I truly appreciate your help!  I had never even done a chat forum before and spent an hour just trying to figure that out in hopes that I could get some help!  Thanks again so much.  The other guys' answers are probably great and helpful for more experienced people, but I still don't know what they are talking about.

Thanks again!

Amanda Carlson

acarlson999@live.com

• 10. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
                            acarlson999 Level 1

This sounds interesting and I would like to figure that out as I now understand about the one-time zoom location that Stan Arthur did the helpful video on.  I did 3 different copies with 3 different zooms since I couldn't get it to move around and go closer and farther in certain areas.  I'm happy with what I did so far, but will have to play with this feature another time when I have time.  I just wanted to take a few minutes to thank everyone who came up to answer my question and help me. 

If I was talented enough, I'd show you the original video and what just the zoom feature did to save a great memory for us!

Thanks to you all!

Amanda Carlson

acarlson999@live.com

• 11. Re: Does Premier Pro zoom in on a subject in video?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Amanda,

Stan got the concept of Keyframes across very well. It is far easier to show, and to do, than to write about - trust me on that one. Yeah for Stan.

Now, you are armed with the concept of Keyframes, so you have the basis. For doing dynamic animation of Keyframes (changing the Effect(s) over time), you will just use the little "mini-Timeline" in the Effects Control Panel. You will notice that it has a Playhead, that matches the Playhead on the main Timeline. [The Playhead is the new name for what many used to refer to as the CTI - Current Time Indicator.] The two Playheads are linked. As you move one, the other will move. To animate over time, just move either Playhead to where you want to place the next Keyframe and use the Add Keyframe button, the solid circle in the ◄●► icon, with the Effect's parameter chosen, say Motion>Position. That new Keyframe will be added, and its parameters will match the previous Keyframe's. With the Playhead over it, just make the necessary adjustments. PrPro will add what would be called "Tweens" (used in programs, like Flash) for each Frame between the two Keyframes, so that your parameter changes for each Frame. You can even watch the parameters change, as the Playhead moves between the Keyframes. As you now have the concept down, the Help File will fill you in on the animation of Keyframes well, and everything should make perfect sense now.

When you get used to working with Keyframes to animate Effects, it will then be time to move on to Interpolation, which is also covered well in the Help File.

Keyframes are so very powerful, and usefule, that any time that you spend learning about them will pay dividends in the future. Most Effects (Fixed or added) can be Keyframed, and some very creative work can be done with them. Explore, practice and then add aspects, like Interpolation, when you are ready.

Good luck, and thanks to Stan! Well done.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful