10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 7:44 PM by John Hawkinson

Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected

JBlizzard1

I am having an issue with swatches in inDesign CS3, we have a background with a feather so the box fades from grey to white, the grey needs to be a specific CMYK breakdown which we have created in the swatch palette. However when we come to check the image is the correct colour (we have had occurences where documents have gone to print with the incorrect colour) sometimes when you select the box it shows up as the colour in the swatch pallette but sometimes it doesn't and no colour is selected, you then have to go to the tool box and double click the fill colour to check the breakdown which can still be correct but why does it not show up in the swatch pallette sometimes but not others? This is becoming a real issue as we have a lot of previous documents that need to be checked and it is not easy to do and not always that accurate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

• 2. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
          Grant H Level 4

ok dunno what happened there: lets try again.

1.     Make sure that if its the fill you are looking for that the fill is selected in the fill/stroke (bottom of tools)

1 sec...

G

• 3. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
            Grant H Level 4

if the stroke is selected and you have no stroke/corresponding swatch: nothing will highlight in the swatches panel...  If the fill is selected and then you select the box then it will.... I think thats your prob... let me know.

G

• 4. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
              JBlizzard1 Level 1

Hi Grant

Thanks for the prompt reply, I don't think that's the problem as it doesn't show anything up in the colour palette not even none, if it did I think I would have known to check its the stroke rather than the fill. I could be wrong though so will check the files when I'm back at work. Any ideas of what else it could be if not?

Thanks J

• 5. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
                Grant H Level 4

fillStr.jpg

Im talking about selecting fill or stroke here first, then clicking the object...

we on the same page?

G

• 6. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

The language seems to be kind of unclear in a lot of posts here. Anyhow:

sometimes when you select the box it shows up as the colour in the swatch pallette but sometimes it doesn't and no colour is selected, you then have to go to the tool box and double click the fill colour to check the breakdown which can still be correct but why does it not show up in the swatch pallette sometimes but not others?

Is this a question?

A swatch is just a saved color "preset." Colors can be applied to objects without using swatches. So it's very easy to have objects where no swatch is highlighted.

Is your goal to audit the colors of objects? I would recomend you use a script.

What do you need, exactly and precisely?

• 7. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
                    JBlizzard1 Level 1

Hello Grant, thanks for the reply.

Yes I know what you mean but if I did click on the either the fill or stroke option and either of them say none than I would know to check I have the fill or stroke selected, the problem I am having is nothing shows up on the colour pallette not even 'none' like the box has no colour in it? The fill box on the tool pallette will have the colour so I can find out the colour breakdown if I double click that but nothing shows up on the colour swatches pallette.

Does this make sense?

• 8. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
                      JBlizzard1 Level 1

Hello John, thanks for your reply, sorry if my post is unclear, I will try to explain it a bit more precisely.

Regarding your reply, I wonder if that may be the problem that a colour has been previously been created by clicking on the colour in the tool box rather than creating a swatch. I have only recently started at the company so was not involved in the creation of the original documents so that could be the case.

Basically several documents have been created for a client by different employees, these have then been repeated over many different pieces of artwork. It was recently discovered that some printed copies had come out a different shade of grey to the others.

So every time we use a previous piece of artwork or create something new we need to ensure the grey is the correct CMYK breakdown to match their corporate standards.

The issue is with the background colour which is created using the rectangle frame tool, filled with a solid grey and then using a gradiant feather to make it fade to white. Why this wasn't done using the gradiant tool I dont know and perhaps this is the problem?

So when opening old documents to check the colour this is when the problem occurs as we click on the box and no colour shows up in the swatch pallette, I have created a colour swatch, closed the document and on re-opening the document the same thing occurs.

We have a large quantity of documents that need to be checked and we need a precise and accurate way of ensuring the gradiant colour is correct for future use.

Is there any preference to using a solid colour and feather or the gradiant tool?

And any advice as to why the issue with the swatch pallette would happen would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time, Jackie

• 9. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
                        Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

An object applied with a Gradient Feather will be considered transparent, and if you are flattening art during export, the Transparency Blend Space selected could be a major factor in determining the color of this object after export.

• 10. Re: Has anyone else had a swatch not show up when a picture box is selected
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Hi, Jackie.

Sorry for the delay. I think your post is clear enough, but I wonder if you read mine clearly.

So when opening old documents to check the colour this is when the problem occurs as we click on the box and no colour shows up in the swatch pallette, I have created a colour swatch, closed the document and on re-opening the document the same thing occurs.

This behavior is not surprising! It simply means that a swatch was not used to set the color. There is no reason to expect that a swatch would have been used. This is analagous to clicking on a word and noting that no paragraph style was used to apply the formatting. In the general case, you cannot expect that colors are formatted with swatches or that words are formatted with paragraph or character styles.

There really isn't much more to the "Why" than that. The swatches panel does not define the set of colors used in the document!

Anyhow, I asked:

Is your goal to audit the colors of objects? I would recomend you use a script.

What do you need, exactly and precisely?

So, if you are specific, we can offer you a script for this. What is it that you need to check? The colors of all rectangles? The colors of all text? Every different kind of object? What do you need to check for? Must they be black, white, and some specific C/M/Y/K numbers? Are there other variations? Be precise, exact, and specific and we can give you a solution that works.