6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 6:35 AM by UbuntuPenguin

Future of Flash/Flex given HTML5 shows strongly

Johnking08 Level 1

Facebook has chosen HTML5 as the language to develop the new platform. It seems Flash/Flex is losing the war. Any comments?

• 1. Re: Future of Flash/Flex given HTML5 shows strongly
          JeffryHouser Level 4

What war are you talking about?

• 2. Re: Future of Flash/Flex given HTML5 shows strongly
            Johnking08 Level 1

The one between Flash/Flex and HTML5, or between Adobe/Google and Apple. People are complaining Flex applications use a lot of memories and CPU powers on mobile devices. But I'm not so sure how good HTML5 is.

Can you do a digital Guitar like the one we saw on Google a few days back using Flex? I heard it was done with HTML5.

• 3. Re: Future of Flash/Flex given HTML5 shows strongly
              JeffryHouser Level 4

I was unaware there was a war between Flash and HTML5.

If you stop reading comments on news articles looking to increase advertising impressions and start talking to real people trying to do real work; you'll find there is no war going on.

Some people choose HTML and some chose Flash; but I have found many people are making these decisions based on business requirements.

• 4. Re: Future of Flash/Flex given HTML5 shows strongly
                drkstr_1 Level 4

Besides, HTML5 will be old news in a couple of years... Sure, HTML 5 can be rendered a bit faster (for now), but show me a Quake port to HMLT5, then I will be impressed. Until then, meh.

Adobe has a clear profit motive to continually develop their platform, whereas HTML5 is just a spec at the whims of browser adoption. It's not like the enterprise community can go complain to the "makers" of HTML5 when you need it to support some new feature to keep up with changing technology...

Just my 2 cents at least.

PS Adobe: Better get crackalakin on that Flex 4.5.1 update! jk much love!

• 5. Re: Future of Flash/Flex given HTML5 shows strongly
                  pauland Level 4

Flash isn't dissappearing anytime fast. HTML 5 will continue to grow. Flash will continue to grow. Apple will continue to grow. Lots of techologies. Just choose the right one for the job.

It's not an "either/or" situation. Nobody is at war. You might as well ask if the invention of the paint roller will be the end of the paintbrush.

• 6. Re: Future of Flash/Flex given HTML5 shows strongly
                    UbuntuPenguin Level 4

Like everyone else said, I don't know if there is a war.  It's not as if the Flex community walks around with Flex Life tattooed across our stomachs and bandanas in our back pockets.  Most of the webdevs I know are well versed in many frontend technologies and use whatever the job requires.  I do feel that some competition would be healthy for the RIA world.  Silverlight has been "retasked" for lack of a better word.  JavaFX, well, I don't think Sun engineers should ever be allowed out of the middle tier/backend basement without adult supervision.  So that basically leaves the RIA world with the Javascript family of frameworks to construct RIAs in, and leaves us with Flex as the only VM based RIA framework.  In the end HTML5 will probably have a place, but I think it is way too premature ( the spec won't be completed till 202X I believe ) to say that Flex and HTML5 are at war and Flex's head will end up on a stick.