8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 3:27 AM by schmischue

I cannot un/install reader X

schmischue

Neither I can uninstall adobe reader X (10.0.1) from windows 7 (64 bit) nor install reader 10.1, which I had successfully downloaded before. In both cases I get the answer " Zugriff auf Netzwerkadresse nicht möglich". Meanwhile I have all files belonging to reader 10.0.1 eradsed from my PC but the problem resists. So I have to work in the registry - but how ?

• 1. Re: I cannot un/install reader X
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

You could try using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove  all  traces of any existing versions  of Reader before performing a clean install of the one you want.  This utility is no  longer supported by Microsoft because it can conflict with Win 7, but  you can still find it in sites like http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

• 2. Re: I cannot un/install reader X
            schmischue Level 1

the Cleanup Utility worked - thanks for this. But trying to install

Reader 10.1 or the older version 9.4 failed with the old error message

("Zugrif auf Netzwerkadresse nicht möglich") though I shut down my AVIRA

before.

Am 19.06.2011 01:19, schrieb =?ANSI_X3.4-1968?Q?Claudio_Gonz=3Flez?=:

You could try using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove  all  traces of any existing versions  of Reader before performing a clean install of the one you want.  This utility is no  longer supported by Microsoft because it can conflict with Win 7, but  you can still find it in sites likehttp://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

>

• 3. Re: I cannot un/install reader X
              Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,  If I translate the error message, it roughly translates to something about not being able to access the network location. Could you please post a screenshot of the message or any error number that might be displayed as well? It would be helpful in finding the exact issue.  Thanks
              Ankit

• 4. Re: I cannot un/install reader X
                schmischue Level 1

hallo,

don´t know how to get a screenshot. So I describe: It is a windows-box

with the title "Adobe Reader X (10.1.0) Installerinformationen"; it

contains only the message which must be in english about: access to the

network adress not possible. There was given no adress and no

error-code. After it the installation assistent of Adobe Reader appeared

and told me that the installation was interrupted bevor beeing complete.

Am 19.06.2011 12:11, schrieb Ankit_Jain:

Hi,  If I translate the error message, it roughly translates to something about not being able to access the network location. Could you please post a screenshot of the message or any error number that might be displayed as well? It would be helpful in finding the exact issue.  Thanks Ankit

>

• 5. Re: I cannot un/install reader X

Can you try instaling Reader 10.1.0 from the following link:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/de_DE/AdbeRdr1010_de_DE.msi

This will give a clear picture of what the error is.

Apologies for making you do the same stuff over and over again.

Ankit

• 6. Re: I cannot un/install reader X
                    schmischue Level 1

hallo,

unfortunately the same problem and message as before - with the

difference that the uninstallation-message appeared very promptly

(instead of after 55% installation)

Am 19.06.2011 19:46, schrieb Ankit_Jain:

Can you try instaling Reader 10.1.0 from the following link:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/de_DE/AdbeRdr1010_de_DE.msi

This will give a clear picture of what the error is.

Apologies for making you do the same stuff over and over again.

Ankit

>

• 7. Re: I cannot un/install reader X

Looks like your "My Documents", "Application Data" folders are being redirected to a network location which is not accessible anymore. Could you please check the following registry keys (Start > type "regedit" and Hit Enter)

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell  Folders
                      2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell  Folders

Are the values of the keys similar to the ones shown at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549/.

If there is any discrepancy, (and its unintentional i.e. you have deliberrately redirected your application data folders to any other location) please follow the Microsoft's resolution as mentioned on the page.
                      This should fix the issue with your local folders. Try installing Adobe Reader 10.1 again from the link I had provided before and you in all probability you should be able to successfully install Reader on your machine.
                      Thanks
                      Ankit

• 8. Re: I cannot un/install reader X
                        schmischue Level 1

hallo,

thank you! After the microsoft-fix there were no problems with the

installation. Now Reader 10.1.0 works perfectly.

Am 20.06.2011 08:18, schrieb Ankit_Jain:

Looks like your "My Documents", "Application Data" folders are being redirected to a network location which is not accessible anymore. Could you please check the following registry keys (Start>  type "regedit" and Hit Enter)

*1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ User Shell  Folders

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \User Shell  Folders

>

>

Are the values of the keys similar to the ones shown at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549/.

If there is any discrepancy, (and its unintentional i.e. you have deliberrately redirected your application data folders to any other location) please follow the Microsoft's resolution as mentioned on the page.

This should fix the issue with your local folders. Try installing Adobe Reader 10.1 again from the link I had provided before and you in all probability you should be able to successfully install Reader on your machine.

>

>

Thanks

Ankit

>

>