3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 3:26 AM by Harm Millaard

Help with Proposed Build for CS5 (PS & Premiere)

Bill in Anacortes Level 1

Need a bit of Help... My older VM computer is getting a bit long in the tooth. Though retired from the airlines I am running a small photography business and I would like to have a computer that would process my larger files in a somewhat shorter time than I still have left!

About 70% of my work is with Photoshop CS5, LightRoom 3, Photomaatix (HDR), PtGui (Panoramas),  with DxOptics Pro thrown into the pot. I have a lot of multi layer files, panoramas, etc. Also have rather large enlargements for transfer to canvas.

About 20% of usage is with Premiere CS5 and video processing (I use a Canon 7D camera)

10% for regular e-mail, upgrades, information and the like.

I use two (2) High Res 24" Monitors

I would very much appreciate comments on the configuration given below. I have read and studied until my eyes began to glaze over... I THINK it is a good system... but I am sure that there are many of you that might be able to find flaws or overkill. Onboard RAID O.K.?

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Bill

NZXT H2 Classic Silent Mid-Tower Gaming Case
      24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive

VIDEO:NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB 16X PCIe Workstation Video Card
      CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
      CS FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans
      Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (3 x Systems
      FAN: Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Dual Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fans

HDD:* 128 GB ADATA S501 V2 SATA III 6.0G/s Gaming MLC Solid State Disk  (For OS & Apps)
      HDD2:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (1TB x 4 (2TB Capacity) Raid 0+1 Extreme Performance with Data Security for Data

MEMORY:24GB (4GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+225] (Kingston HyperX [+22])

MOTHERBOARD:* (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA-III RAID w/ 7.1Audio,GbLAN,IEEE1394a,USB3.0,SATA-III,RAID,3 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
      Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card [+34]
      OS:* Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional (64-bit Edition)
      HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
      USB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Price: $2,810.00

• 1. Re: Help with Proposed Build for CS5 (PS & Premiere)
          RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

Do you have or are you planning to run any programs that absolutely require a Quadro card? If not, skip that Quadro 2000 altogether: It by itself costs about $400, yet is slower (clock-speed-wise) than the $110 GeForce GTS 450 that the Quadro 2000 is based on.

• 2. Re: Help with Proposed Build for CS5 (PS & Premiere)
            Bill in Anacortes Level 1

The only applications I forsee using are the Adobe CS5 family as indicated... So, no, no specific need for the Quadro indicated. I  want to make sure that the card has the capability of "unlocking" the advanced rotation/zoom capabilities in CS5. My present card requires that I still use the "stepped" rotation/zoom.

I looked at a comparison between the GTX 560 Ti ($250) and the GTS 450 ($125) and see that the 560 performance far exceeds that of the 450. At i/2 the price of a 2000 would this be a good card?

Your thoughts on the rest of the build? I'm getting too old for all this... I just want to turn it on and have it work...fast!

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Help with Proposed Build for CS5 (PS & Premiere)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Go for a big tower, not a mid-sized one. Better airflow, cable management and cooling, easier to install and more expansion room.

Why a separate NIC card, when there is an on-board NIC?

On-board raid is OK for non-parity raids. So either striped or mirrored, like you intend. The 560 is a good card and BFTB wise (bang-for-the-buck) it is one of the best choices at this moment.

Look at a good third party cooler from companies like Noctua, Prolimatech or Cooler Master, especially if you get into overclocking and forget about water cooling, unless you intend to go into extreme overclocking or are looking at shaving off 1 db of sound.

What PSU are you looking at? I suggest at least 850W, but better 1000W Gold rated PSU from Cooler Master.