2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2009 5:06 PM by Amebr-ke0mH4

Remove Formatting from Topics

kaddymac Level 1
      I have help topics whose HTML is full of junk - from a history of different writers and software updates. I need to clean them up before importing into Robohelp 9. I know I can copy the text into notepad but this is a painful process. Does anyone know of any utilities I could use or whether Robohelp itself can help me? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Remove Formatting from Topics
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Is there a specific reason why you need to tidy up the HTML? Unless it is going to cause you problems (and of course it could depending on what you've got) have you tried just importing the topics and seing what happens? I think the trouble you have is that there is no tool that will tidy up the HTML for you. If you really want or need to do so, Notepad is probably the right approach.
          • 2. Re: Remove Formatting from Topics
            Amebr-ke0mH4 Level 2
            There is a tool which can tidy up HTML, but I'm not sure of the effect on RH when you do.

http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

I've used the HTML-Kit editor with it, but there seems to be a bunch of other programs that provide a frontend for it. You can do a heap of customisation for how it processes your pages, but I haven't played with that much - just used the one-click button on the toolbar to get formatted, W3 compliant HTML.

Amber