9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 8:55 AM by FuzzyDrawings

After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.

greg bocelle Level 1

Well ok so, I've been looking, and I see similar things, but not really going anywhere. And I also can't make it happen at will, it just happens.  But often enough to make it really frustratrating and scary to close a file.

It's easy to explain what happens when it happens.  I open a file, work on it for a while, during which time I've imported some images or wav files and placed them on the main timeline or movie clip timelines.  I can test and save the file often while I'm working and everything seems fine.  Eventually I close the file.  When I reopen the file, the imported images are all missing from the timelines.  It's very odd.  All of the edits are still complete.  The keyframes where the assets were placed are still where they belong, and the assets are all in the library.  So I have to go through to each location and put the image or wav file back in its keyframe where it belongs.  So far, it seems like after I go through this exercise once, it doesn't happen again.

Here are the only details I can really offer:

Don't know about new files.  The files I'm working on originated on a Mac, and they may have gone back and forth between CS4 anc CS5 versions, and finally are going to CS5.5 on a pc.  I have seen this problem now in both CS4 and CS5 on both the Mac and the pc.

It only seems to affect newly imported assets.  Doesn't seem to matter how they're imported.  Sometimes I use the menus, sometimes I drag and drop them into the library, sometimes I copy them from other Flash files and paste them into the current one.

So far, I'm not sure that his problem has been seen on my own equipment.  Just at my contractor location.  Because of the things I'm seeing around, I'm beginning to suspect that this could have something to do with these RAID systems these guys usually set up, which I know virtually nothing about.  RAID5 on these new machines.  But I'm wondering if some caching of something is going on somewhere, and somehow not being saved somewhere else?  Haha, hope that isn't too technical of a quesiton but... 

I'll probably start trying some things like importing assets, saving, closing and re-opening before I do anything, or some such exercises, in an attempt to make it stop happening.  Like I said though, it's virtually impossible for me to reproduce.  It really seems to be one of those things that just likes to happen out of the blue.  Maybe 15 to 20 percent of the time.  Probably whenever it'll do the most damage.  But if anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
          Sukhi12 Level 1

Hi Greg,

Thank you for posting in details . I was unable to reproduce this issue here , but as you said it happens  only once in a while .

I'll investigate this  here  and try  to reproduce .

You have mentioned that mostly files which have this issue have  gone back and forth in CS4 and CS5.

1 ) Are you saving the files as CS5  or CS4

2) On which version  of Flash have you seen this  missing asset issue .

3) Do you work on CS4 and CS5 simaltanously ? Or only one version .

I also noticed that you have mentioned that it has only happened in your contractor place where they use RAID system.

So you save the files  on a Network drive ?

If possible  please email your fla to us at FlashAuthBetaBugs@adobe.com which is having this  missing assets issue ?

I'll take a look at the file here and see If I can reproduce the issue .

Thanks
          Sukhbir
          Flash Authoring

• 2. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
            greg bocelle Level 1

hey sukhi,

hahaha well, kind of surprising to hear from someone about this but...  and

unfortunately, like i said, it's dang near impossible to get this to happen when

i want it to.  been trying this evening, and the only example i can come up with

so far is a cs4 example, but maybe it'll help someone at least see the mechanics

of the problem and check it out, 'cause it has definitely happened to me in cs

5.5 also.  with wav files, images, and today it even happened to me with a

regular movie clip made up of flash-drawn graphics while saving in cs5.5.

this is on my own clean, non-raid, no-network pc.  so should happen anywhere.

1) open start_file.fla

2) open copy_from.fla

3) select all the wav files in the copy_from.fla library (this one only seems to

do it if i copy assets from another flash file)

4) paste them into start_file.fla library and select "replace existing..."

5) test the movie.  everything's fine.

6) save start_file.fla

cs4: at this point, if i close the file and re-open it, the wav files are all

missing from the timeline.

cs5.5: works fine if i save it as a cs5.5.  but if i save it as a cs4, as soon

as i save, the wav files immediately disappear from the timeline.  it does

complain about swf history, so in this case that might be the whole problem here

but...

anyway, hope this helps something.  i'll try to catch the next one, but

unfortunately, by the time it happens, i've usually done so many things that

it's nearly impossible to retrace the steps.  let me know how it goes.

thanks,

greg

and your questions if these answers help any

===============================

1 ) Are you saving the files as CS5  or CS4

until recently we've been keeping them cs4.  some had been previously cs5, but

we've been saving them back to cs4.  currently we're moving to cs5.5 though, and

i did see the problem again today saving as cs5.5.  it's got to just have

something to do with upgrading.

2) On which version  of Flash have you seen this  missing asset issue .

cs4 and cs5.5, but again, i think only when switching between.

3) Do you work on CS4 and CS5 simaltanously ? Or only one version .

was strictly cs4 until just this week.  now strictly cs5.5.  old machine was a

mac the only had cs4.  new machine is a pc that only has cs5.5.

I also noticed that you have mentioned that it has only happened in your

contractor place where they use RAID system.

So you save the files  on a Network drive ?

usually i copy files from a network drive to my pc, work there, then copy the

finished files back to the network drive.  less often, but for very simple

changes, i'll do them right on the network drive.

• 3. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
              greg bocelle Level 1

hey  sukhi

just an couple extra notes.  just tried this this morning.

1) do the copy/paste steps, save as cs5.5, then save again as cs4, wave files

disappear from timeline, no swf history warning.

2) do the copy/paste steps, save as cs5.5, close it, re-open it, save it as cs4,

works fine.

something's getting saved when the file is closed that isn't getting saved when

it's saved.  not working on those files for at least a few days now, so i don't

know when i'll see a straight cs5.5 version of this but...

thanks again,

greg

• 4. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
                Sukhi12 Level 1

Hi  Greg

Thanks for your feedback. . Can you fwd me the sample Fla which are having issue . I would really like to see the files you are using .

You can email sample  Fla file at FlashAuthBetaBugs@adobe.com? If you are sending the file in .zip format  change the file extension from .zip to .zzz.

Thanks
                Sukhbir
                Flash Authoring

• 5. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
                  r6yujr6ujr6j Level 1

At least you got an answer. I have had this problem on both my home and work PC. I reported it here and I'm experiencing the same problem. It is definately a CS5.5 issue and when I run CS5 again the problem never occurs. I even formatted my home PC and still no luck on getting it to work properly all the time.

It is so inconsistent that it is hard to reproduce. What prompted me to reply here again is that I worked on a file for 6hrs without a hitch, then upon copying the FLA to a new location and reopening it, changes I had made and assets I had put on the timeline reverted to either nothing or had their instances removed from the stage - yet were still visible in the library.

I've tried being polite with every release of Flash, but everytime more bugs seem to be produced with older ones still in existence. CS3 was probably the last stable version, it's beginning to be a f$&king joke considering what you have to pay to get these programs.

• 6. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
                    Sukhi12 Level 1

Hi trdynjh,

I'm Investigating  this issue  here . This issue is really very hard to reproduce .

I'm really  very sorry for the inconvience it has caused .

Can you please provide me some information about your Fla file history.  eg. originally created in CS4, saved in CS5 and re-saved in CS5.5

How was the file saved? eg. resaving as File/Save, File/Save As type (ie. CS4, CS5, CS5.5? .fla or .xfl?)

Thanks
                      Sukhbir
                      Flash Authoring

• 7. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
                      greg bocelle Level 1

hey  Sukhbir,

hahaha yeah, i understand.  and i am strongly suspecting the actual files

themselves at this point.  and i work on so many of these files for those guys,

and they've been handled and re-handled quite a bit sometimes, it's difficult

for me to ever figure out where to start, myself.  not that it still doesn't

seem like a good issue to get to the bottom of.  anyway...

so i asked around today.  the best guess for the file i sent you, and this might

be fairly typical for these files, is that it was created in cs5 on the a mac.

when i started doing some work for them, they gave me a mac that had cs4.  so

the file was opened in cs5 (could have been a mac or a pc) and saved out as cs4

for me to work on.

i don't know if that's actually going to help you any, but that's all i have for

now.

and trdynjh, bummer about your stuff.  haha, i know the feeling.  glad

somebody's able to at least see it and looking into it, but ya gotta admit, it's

a pretty tough one to show people.

thanks,

greg

• 8. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
                        Nims Level 1

I have found that this is 100% reproducable.

If you have a .wav in the timeline, and the file opened in CS5.   >

Click Save As and save over the top of the file you are in as a CS4 document.  >

Close the file >

Reopen >

the .wav has dissapeared from the timeline.

You can get around this by saving the file as another name.  All the best.

• 9. Re: After saving, closeing, and reopening .fla files, assets are missing from timelines.
                          FuzzyDrawings Level 1

My employer upgraded us to CS5.5 about a year ago (I know - our IT Dept is incredibly anal (re:) slow about testing and intiating upgrades), and have very similiar issues but under different scenarios.

I do complex symbol-based charater animation (each body part is it's own graphic. Inside each graphic are drawings of variations of that body part to chose from while animating).

For me, it isn't about imported files suddenly missing from the timeline; it's all about graphics created in Flash. And it's not just that they are suddenly missing from the timeline, but it appears that Flash confuses different save points. For example:

• On Monday, I ended the day with TEN frames of content in my Arm_clip, but an incomplete animated sequence.
                          • On Tuesday, I ended the day with TWENTY frames of content in my Arm_clip, and a finalized animated sequence.
                          • On Wednesday morning, I open the file to find that though the animation itself remains complete, the Arm_clip only has ten frames of drawings, as it did on Monday.
                          • I create a newly named back up at the end of each day...and it will always show the same bugs.

This will happen to various graphics in the file, causing me to have to redo a good chunk of the previous day's/days' work. This appears to be related to file size (in some cases), though I don't consider an 18MB Flash authoring file to be massive.

Notes:

• I'm working only in Flash CS5.5 for these work files - there is no jumping between versions of Flash
                          • Auto-Recovery/Save is OFF, as the problem appears to increase when these features are turned on
                          • These errors occur regardless of the existence of imported files (wavs, mp3, png, etc) on the timeline or just in the library
                          • It's impossible for me to predict when this will happen, so each time I open a file, I do so tredpidaciously
                          • I'm running Win 7 on Dell E8400 @ 3.00GHz Intel Core2 Duo CPU (though this happens on various computers running Flash CS5.5 on Win 7). These files never touch a Mac.
                          • Upgrading is out of the question - like I said, our IT Dept is VERY slow about allowing new software. Even if they weren't, I have CC at home and there's massive bugs with Flash CC that even make simply drawing an effort in futility, so it would be like trading a broken foot for a broken hand.