2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 11:18 AM by MattyMcK71

Exporting from After Effects to Final Cut Pro

MattyMcK71 Level 1

Hi

Could anybody tell me the best way to export from After Effects, back in to Final Cut Pro? Do I need to get Automatic Duck for this, if so which one?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

• 1. Re: Exporting from After Effects to Final Cut Pro
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to add your composition to the render cue and then export to the same format and codec that you're using in FCP. Automatic Duck is a great tool for getting your FCP or Motion timelines into After Effects but most of the time I simply select a clip in FCP, export it as a reference movie, bring it into AE for processing, then render a file to use as a replacement in FCP.

Search for After Effects Final Cut Workflow and you'll find some more tips including this one. It isn't bad for organization but it misses the point of using the same codec. All my FCP projects are ProRez HQ or ProREZ 444 so that's my choice. Also, if you use the entire shot, which is not a bad idea, then you can use the replace footage option in FCP which is more efficient than the demoed technique of dragging your rendered shot into the timeline and then trimming if needed.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Exporting from After Effects to Final Cut Pro
            MattyMcK71 Level 1

Hi Rick

That was a big help, just tried it and it works perfectly!

Thanks!

Matt