4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 2:30 PM by rogerprecious3838

Should my FLA import pre-optimized images?

rogerprecious3838

Should I be optimizing my images in Photoshop before importing to Flash, or can I let Flash handle these optimizations?  My goal is to minimize file size.

It makes sense to me to make images of very small file size using Photoshop, then import to Flash and use imported quality.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Roger

• 1. Re: Should my FLA import pre-optimized images?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's what I do.  You have more control/options for optimization using image software.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should my FLA import pre-optimized images?
            adninjastrator Level 4

"Optimized" images can mean a number of things, for example the physical pixel dimensions of the image.... optimized would mean that if you need a 100px by 100px image in Flash, that you resize the image to exactly those dimesions outside of Flash and NOT use Flash to scale the image.

"Optimized" can also mean applying more compression (destroying part of the data) to make a smaller file size.

So you could compress a 200x200 px image to reduce the file size, then bring that image into Flash and have Flash scale it to 100x100.... but that is NOT the best way to "Optimize" the image.

I recommend that you first resize the image to exactly the pixel dimensions needed in Flash, and then if, and ONLY if you still need to reduce the file size, experiment with the file compression settings. I typically resize but leave quality at 100%... or no less than 80% in some situations.

So while "Optimizing" is most often assumed to mean applying more compression, if you want good quality images in your Flash, first... and most important is that you "resize" the image to only what is needed in Flash and not have Flash do any scaling.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Should my FLA import pre-optimized images?
              rogerprecious3838 Level 1

Adninjastrator,

Thanks for the helpful info.  I never scale images in Flash.  What I have been doing is compressing as much as possible in Photoshop, with some experimentation between .gif and .jpg for whatever creates the smallest file.  Then I import to Flash and choose 100% quality.

I do a lot of image rotation in Flash.  My latest game depicted an airport from a top-down view.  The airplanes would be turned by adjusting the .rotation property of their MovieClip.  I am trying to decide if it would be best to do bitmap blitting instead of rotating MovieClips with multiple frames.

Ken

• 4. Re: Should my FLA import pre-optimized images?
                adninjastrator Level 4

Sounds like you are on the right path. Sometimes it just depends on the image and how it's being used... so you might just need to do more experimenting.

And just a note about the image at 100%... I was referring to the image "Quality" setting (or amount of compression applied) in PhotoShop, not the image quality setting in Flash. I prefer not to just "Save for Web" in PhotoShop but do a "Save As" and select my quality setting from there.

In some tests that I've done the "Save for Web" option seemed to darken the photo more than the "Save As" option, resulting in lower quality. Not sure if that's the case for everyone, but that's what i see.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator