4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 1:28 PM by mantism

Problem Importing Footage into AE CS5.5

mantism

I'm having problems importanting 'avi' video from my Vado HD into AE CS5.5 - the videos playback just fine in Windows Media Player but when imported into After Effects the clip is greyed out & only the audio track is available. I can't understand the problem as the codec must be installed for the Media Player to play the files & I have checked this by loading the footage into GSpot with this result: Codec H264. Name H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. Installed. Really hope some one can help me with this.

• 1. Re: Problem Importing Footage into AE CS5.5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I can't understand the problem as the codec must be installed for the Media Player to play the files

AE doesn't use the system's DirectDraw CoDecs but rather its own MediaCore stuff and that's what seems to be causing the problem here. Presumably whatever MPEG-4 they are using is slightly out of spec and not what AE expects. If so, your only option would be to convert/ transcode it externally with MPEGStreamclip/ ffmpeg or SUPER©. If you can provide a short clip, we could investigate the matetr further...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Problem Importing Footage into AE CS5.5
            mantism Level 1

Thank you Mylenium . I've put a small test clip here >>>  http://www.injamon.co.uk/test.pfft

I've renamed the extension from AVI to pfft just so it goes straight to download options rather than trying to play the clip in your browser/media player.

• 3. Re: Problem Importing Footage into AE CS5.5
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I think you might be out of luck on this one... This is intel's hardware accelerated H.264 flavor, which AE very obviously never has decoded. I checked back to CS3. There might be some smart DLL you can install from intel themselves that may resolve the issue, but I couldn't find it in the shortness of time. So this very much leaves an external conversion as your only option. After running it through one of the tools I mentioned it will open just fine in AE...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Problem Importing Footage into AE CS5.5
                mantism Level 1

Thank you for all your help Mylenium.

I'd already tried MPEGStreamclip with no joy - loads the footage in much the same as AE does [greyed box] & couldn't figure a successful way to convert it.

I was baffled by the wall of text relating to ffmpeg & couldn't figure out how to install/run it let alone convert any footage.

SUPER©  was the golden nugget - not much trouble to install & find enough reference online to successfully convert my footage - many thanks.