4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 4:14 AM by RjL190365

Do I need this SSD? Any input appreciated.

jr.bacon Level 1

ASUS P6X58D-E

Intel Quad Core i7 950

CORSAIR XMS3 24GB (6 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steele ATX Case

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

Microsoft Win 7 Professional OEM

Blu-ray Burner 12x

Quadro600

G-Tech G-SAFE Hard drive array - 2-bay (2 x 1TB) -- RAID 1

3 x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB Hard Drive (0A38016) - 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -- RAID 5

256GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive • 415MB/s Read, 260MB/s Write -- OS and Adobe CS5.5

Case big enough?

SSD worth it for system drive or waste of cash?

RAID controller card?

• 1. Re: Do I need this SSD? Any input appreciated.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The case is big enough, but maybe the 1200 is even bigger and a solid alternative is the CoolerMaster HAF932.

SSD's are nice but costly choices when the rest of the components are really perfect. There are few systems that are perfect however. Add to that the fact that budgettary limits apply to most people, and then choices need to be made. An SSD would be the last thing on my list of improvements for my system, simply because the list is so long and the funds limited.

If I were to build a new system, it would be in this sequence:

1. 16 new Hitachi 7K3000 2 TB disks

2. 3 x Chenbro or Supermicro disk cages for 15 hot swappable disks

3. New X79 mobo and Sandy Bridge E, details to be determined (Q1/2012)

4. New Areca ARC 24 port PCIe 3.0 raid controller with 4 GB cache and BBM (Q1/2012)

5. Upgrade RAM to maximum capacity, hopefully 32 GB on the X79

6. New video card to replace the 480, by that time possibly the GTX 680

7. miscellaneous upgrades

9. 2 SSD's in raid0 as a boot disk (last on my list)

In your case - not chassis - there are more pressing improvements IMO than a SSD.

The Quadro 600 should be exchanged for either a GTX 560+ or, if you really need 10 bit color, for a Quadro 4000+. You did not mention whether you have a 10 bit monitor and a BM card for ingesting 10 bit source material. If that is not the case the 560+ option is better.

The G-Tech is nice for backups, but what do you have as your boot drive for OS & programs? A single Samsung 320 GB F4 disk for only € 32 is a good solution. 3 Hitachi's in raid5 on the ICH10R is a bad idea. It is slower than molasses in winter. Better increase the number of disks in the raid5 and put them on a dedicated raid controller, either a LSI or an Areca. I would go for at least an 8-port version.

Hope this helps

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Do I need this SSD? Any input appreciated.
            jr.bacon Level 1

This system will be editing AVCHD in CS5.5

boot drive for OS & programs =
            256GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive

If the SSD doesn't enhance performance of cs5.5 significantly,
            I'd opt for the single Samsung 320 GB F4 disk for the boot drive.

''10 bit monitor and a BM card for ingesting 10 bit source material''
            I don't know.  Definitely some things to think about - video cards and the RAID array.

Thanks for your input.

• 3. Re: Do I need this SSD? Any input appreciated.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The SSD does not show any performance gain when editing. It may load PR one second faster, but that is all and I consider that one second improvement ONLY when loading the program very, very steeply priced.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Do I need this SSD? Any input appreciated.
                RjL190365 Level 4

For normal work with AVCHD, skip the Quadro 600 completely and go for a GeForce GTX 560Ti that Harm is suggesting: The Quadro 600 is only equivalent to a GeForce GT 430, with only 96 CUDA cores and only DDR3 graphics RAM support. As such, it's slower than even a 1GB DDR3 edition of the GT 240 - and about as slow as a cheap GT 220.