8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 7:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Dvd Burner error message

nettajustice82

Hi All,

Hope you can help, have been using my Premire Elements for a few years now and have managed to edit and burn perfectly well until recently.

When I am ready to burn my movie to DVD I go to the DVD menu and when I click BURN DVD , I get a simple error message that says ''DVD burner Error'' ! It gives me no options of fixing and I cant seem to get into the dvd burner settings through any other menu on the toolbar.

I think my inbuilt DVD burner is broken, but I have recently purchased a brand new external dvd burner which is plugged into my computer via USB, The issue I am having is letting Premiere elements know to use this external dvd burner rather then my inbuilt one...does anyone know how to change these settings , bi-passing the error message I am getting from the dvd burn page?

Or can you think of any other problem that may be occuring to prevent me from burning my finished movie to dvd?

Thank you in advance for any advice you have

• 1. Re: Dvd Burner error message
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best solution is to select the option in Premiere Elements to burn your DVD files to a folder rather than directly to a DVD disc. (As I say in my books, there are a number of advantages to doing this -- and the process won't take any more time.)

Once the program has created your DVD files, use a program like ImgBurn (a free download) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a DVD disc and you're done!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dvd Burner error message
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Link

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
            (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)
            • 3. Re: Dvd Burner error message
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you on Windows, or a Mac?

In Windows, you can go to System>Hardware>Device Manager, and can disable your internal DVD burner. Then, you should be able to use the external w/ no issues. Usually, this is not necessary, as one should get a drop-down with a choice of burner, when more than one is installed on a system.

I also advocate the Burn to Folder, and then using a utility like the great little ImgBurn. This would be my first test, and it WILL have a drop-down list of all burners on the system, if they are properly installed at the mechanics level.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Dvd Burner error message
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry - I forgot - Welcome to the forum!

You might also find some tips in this ARTICLE, regarding burner issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Dvd Burner error message
                  nettajustice82 Level 1

Thanks for the speedy answers guys,

I have disbaled my inactive dvd burner and tried again to burn directly to dvd using my new external burner but I still get an error message ''could not initialize dvd burning engine''

I have downloaded ImgBurn, but just wondered if you could advise me on how to burn to a folder? As currently with this error message I am getting it blocks me from geting any of those dvd choice menus (i.e. to burn dvd to a folder).....am i able to do it via clicking the EXPORT button? I tried exporting it as an MPEG and then copied the mpeg to the disc but have just played it back and the image is very choppy and has obvoious quality issues...

Still stuck I'm affraid....

Any help on how to use ImgBurn would be great... thanks 

• 6. Re: Dvd Burner error message
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Burning Engine is not initializing, that is different than PrE not finding the burner. Sorry that I missed the syntax of your error message.

I am not a big fan of uninstall/reinstall, but this might be a good case for doing so. Something is wrong with the Burning Engine module in PrE.

I cannot recall if PrE has the Repair Install function, like all of the PrPro CS suites has, but if it does, that would possibly save you time and get your installation back on track.

I apologize for mis-reading your error message in the initial posts.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Dvd Burner error message
                      nettajustice82 Level 1

Just want to thank both Steve and Bill for your help,

I have now managed to burn to dvd, by first burning the movie to a folder and then using ImgBrn as suggested.

Your articles and links helped me fix the glitches I was having in my system set up.

Many Thanks

Netta

• 8. Re: Dvd Burner error message
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Netta,

You are most welcome.

Good news that you now have your Project on a DVD!

Thanks for reporting and good luck,

Hunt