4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 9:00 AM by Mylenium

Problem integrating other objects with a 3D model in After Effects

Obracken

Hello there!

SO HERE'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO

For the intro to an episode of my webshow I wanted to have the camera come up from behind the couch (the current movement is a bit berserk but that's another issue) and have it come up to the television.

As it's coming to the tv, I'd like to have it show static or perhaps some bars, then change to either a series of still images or a video clip (whichever gets the job done) displaying the fake commercial to go with the narration.

Finally, after the commercial is done, the camera is to move so the tv screen fills the frame and then I'll transition to the body of the episode.

WHAT I'VE TRIED (AND SEEN FAIL)

1) Greenscreening: This is why the tv screen is the color it currently is. This doesn't work, though, since the TV image is static while camera is not and so it's as if the TV frame is shifting wildly around the image put underneath it in another layer in Premiere.

2) Laying the image over: I tried to brute force it with a layer above the imported Adobe After Effects Composition but even if I could get the camera to sit at a perfect angle for aligning the overlayed image, it only solves my problem for the middle stage (the commercial) - it seems to be impossible (or at least incredibly time consuming) to try and get the overlayed image to align for the first stage where the camera is coming across the room.

3) Inserting the TV image in the After Effects Composition: Whether I do it as a 2D or 3D image, any still or clip that I want to "play" on the television is always in front of the 3D living room model - though I can move a camera inside the room, I can't move any objects it seems.

Now these are being put in as a new layer above the model and I imagine this is what's screwing things up, but I can't insert them into the model in After Effects (I don't think) and since I have more than one image or clip to display on the tv that makes altering the original .psd file a no-go.

SOME TECHNICAL DETAILS

The original model can be found here. It started as a Google Sketchup file that was exported as a .dae into Photoshop, then saved as a .psd that could be brought into After Effects.

Software being used is Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop (all CS5) and the latest edition of Google Sketchup.

Any help beyond "BUY SOFTWARE X, YOU FOOL" would be really appreciated! I've been working very hard to up the quality of my show with this latest episode and working out the intro is all that's left to do before rendering and uploading!

Cheers,
      Oliver

• 1. Re: Problem integrating other objects with a 3D model in After Effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

3) Inserting the TV image in the After Effects Composition: Whether I do it as a 2D or 3D image, any still or clip that I want to "play" on the television is always in front of the 3D living room model - though I can move a camera inside the room, I can't move any objects it seems.

You are misunderstanding Photoshop Live 3D and overestimating its potential, that's why. Just like any other 3D-ish effect (Shatter, Particular, Form, Card Dance etc.) it is a peek through a window in a 3D world, but not AE's own 3D world. There is no interaction beyond the plug-ins and effects responding to the AE camera. That's all it is. The rest must come from within the effect/ plug-in itself, but in this case it doesn't, because PS 3D by itself is lamer than lame. Anyway, long-standing and well known limitations in AE's "3D". Not all is lost, though. If you can work your way around building a UV pass as explained here, you might be able to stick your content into the scene rather seamlessly, after all. And lucky for you, you can  try this for free these days using a PixelBender filter. I'd still recommend the commercial Re:Map because of the quality, though...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem integrating other objects with a 3D model in After Effects
            Obracken Level 1

Hrmmmmm

I'll try to investigate further but so far using the pixelbender plug-in within AE suggests a couple of things.

1) I'd only be able to apply a single layer to the entire room model, not just the tv screen

2) There is some serious fine tuning to be learned to avoid results like this (where, just to see, I tried to apply a still of some bars to the model).

Dang it.jpg

Shoot, maybe I'll have to try something a lot simpler....

• 3. Re: Problem integrating other objects with a 3D model in After Effects
              Obracken Level 1

By the by, I don't mean to sound ungrateful! It's just frustrating as I've put off updating for some time while trying to figure this out and I really shouldn't put it off much longer. Nonetheless, it's interesting to learn the limitations of the software and a possible way to get around them - thank you!

• 4. Re: Problem integrating other objects with a 3D model in After Effects
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You need to combine techniques to get what you want. Similar to this sample project from my website you will not only need the actual UV pass and RGB pass, but also a matte pass that limits and masks the UV pass. It's possible to synchronize multiple 3D comps by linking expressions across comps on the one condition that their alignment in Photoshop is retained when constructing the separate passes, so the camera is always imported in the same place in AE to begin with... The rest is just a bit of work and keeping it all sorted.

Mylenium